RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   GTM 1/2 Scale Fokker Triplane (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/10968049-gtm-1-2-scale-fokker-triplane.html)

valleyk 10-21-2012 06:28 PM

RE: GTM 1/2 Scale Fokker Triplane

Iguess this build is the same as the GTM 1/3 scale model just bigger and stronger parts. This 1/2 scale dr1 shown in Germany has been around a few years but what is interesting is that the model swings a scale size prop. Must be geared and would be interesting to know what kind of engine set up he has. Inever liked geared engines because they all seemed to lack power but when building this big maybe its necessary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s91deb98JiY

N1EDM 10-21-2012 11:20 PM

TKFokker,

Can you give us the name of the place where you got those long dowels at in OH?

Thanks,

Bob

Horsepoweraviation 10-23-2012 04:32 AM

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

TKFokker,

Can you give us the name of the place where you got those long dowels at in OH?

Thanks,

Bob

Atlas Dowel
320 North State Street Harrison, OH 45030
Phone: 1-800-541-0573
Fax: 513-202-0942
[email protected]

Horsepoweraviation 10-23-2012 04:49 AM

Hey TK!

Looks good! Man you have some serious tools at your disposal!
How does this wood DR I build compared to the D8 build?....Is it just as enjoyable /satisfying?
Really missed you at VA....you would of had a blast!

Cheers,
HPA

TKFOKKER 10-23-2012 02:22 PM

Hi Paul!
Hey thanks so much for posting that address to the dowel place. I did not have it, Doug Peirce placed the order for me as we are trading off duties for our builds.
This build compared to the chrome molly steel fuselage on the D-8 is SO much faster. It is easier also, of course it is a lot less work to cut wood than steel. Although the strenght is considerably less with the wood. So much more flex with the wood, but I'm sure it will stiffen up when it's all put together and cross wired. As soon as I make a jig to keep it square I' begin putting the two halves together. I can say that I am more excited about this build more than I was about the D-8. I guess I just like the Driedecker a little more.
Good to hear from you!
TK

N1EDM 10-23-2012 04:14 PM

Thanks for that info, TK

Bob

wings2an3 10-23-2012 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom,
With your craftmanship and quality of building you will have nothing to worry about. I have now got three flights and solid as a rock. It handles like a big kite and is very stable in 15mph winds. Looking foward too fly our DR I together.

Jay

TKFOKKER 10-24-2012 01:28 PM

Jay!!
Congratulations on the flight of your Driedecker!!!! It's fantastic to see half scales being built and flown in the USA. We are so far behind the the folks across the pond it ain't funny. They are so much more advanced in the hobby than we are in the states. You have to get a pilot in that cockpit, looks weird without one. What power are you using and what is the weight of the model? How does she land?
Yes looking forward to flying with you some day.
TK

wings2an3 10-24-2012 06:20 PM

Tom,
Thank you and yes working on the pilot, cockpit, and Ur-2 plus all the other scale details.
3w 240, 36/10 prop, 80 lbs. Lands like a trainer on steriods just keep the prop speed up.

Jay

ProfLooney 10-24-2012 07:25 PM

looking good guys. now that I am back from Phoenix I need to get working on my 1/2 scale DVII. unfortunatley I had to cut 2 ft off it to transport it back. Just as soon as I get a gas bottle for my Tig welder I will pull it out and weld it back up. I am starting to love using this metal tubing and my tig torch makes the frame so much lighter

TKFOKKER 10-27-2012 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I managed to get the two fuselage halves glued together at the forward box area. Lots of fun putting this together so far. Tomorrow I will join the rear section from the cockpit back together. So far so good, everything seems to be fitting together fine. All joints are pined with carbon fiber rod.

TKFOKKER 10-28-2012 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This morning at 9:30 am a very good friend and fellow R/C modeler of mine for 30 years fell to his death working on his own house repairing his roof.
His name was William Salter from Windham NH He was in his mid 50's, He leaves behind his wife and daughter. Anyone from this area who has been in the R/C community will remember Billy. He loved WW-1 and built many models of that era. He also built R/C scale boats. I will sorely miss my friend. Here he is in a couple pic's with his new D-8, he has a Fokker sweat shirt on. Also a pic of him holding my Pup for me.
God be with you.
Tom K.

TKFOKKER 10-28-2012 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brought the rear section of the fuselage together this afternoon. Tomorrow with the bad storm hitting us I most likely will be home so i hope to get the tail post also done.
TK

WacoNut 10-28-2012 03:29 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend TK,
Life can be very fragile.

Hope you guys don't get hammered to hard during the storm.
Anthony

valleyk 10-28-2012 04:42 PM

I personally think most of us here are very handy at fixing things. I'm very sorry about your friend and I think it was good that you informed us of the dangers that we take for granted. I know I have taken many chances doing my own repair and now past fifty I will think differently.

TKFOKKER 10-28-2012 05:00 PM

Yes, I agree. The sad thing is he did that for a living. I also am a contractor, and have fallen many times. I guess his 9 lives were over.

TK

TKFOKKER 10-29-2012 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More fuselage pic's, All pinned.
TK

TKFOKKER 10-29-2012 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also fit my firewall tonight. Plus checking the mid wing spar aluminum receiving box. So far everything lines up nicely.
TK

geezeraviation 10-29-2012 04:39 PM

Tom, what size (dia) were the pins you used.
Doc

TKFOKKER 10-29-2012 05:51 PM

Doc
1/8th inch.
How ya doing?
TK

geezeraviation 10-29-2012 06:37 PM

I'm good, lots warmer down here and no tropical storm. Keep your head down and if the wind gets way up dont stand near any windows that arent shuttered.
Doc

geezeraviation 10-29-2012 06:44 PM

I was thinking that pinning those would be a good idea when you started the fuse sides and then you mentioned that you were. That will make those joints incredibly strong. Ive used bamboo skewers on a few to beef them up. Not near as big as this but I like the extra joint integrity and it doesnt weigh enough to worry about.
Doc

abufletcher 10-29-2012 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: geezeraviation
Ive used bamboo skewers on a few to beef them up. Not near as big as this but I like the extra joint integrity and it doesnt weigh enough to worry about.
I also pinned with bamboo skewers on the basic frame for my 1/4 scale Strutter. The way I figure it, this doesn't add anything to the weight, because I'm just replacing wood with wood.

TKFOKKER 11-01-2012 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, Tonight I installed all the corner tubes in fuselage to attach the fuse rigging wires to. I used 1/8th carbon fiber rod. Drilled through the dowels and glued the rod in then cut them off. This will allow me to tighten up the wire pretty good to make the fuse square and strong. I will be using small swages instead of turn buckles. In the cockpit area I'll use the turnbuckles. Normally the rods were tubes radius bent and welded.
TK

R/C Art 11-01-2012 06:32 PM

Tom,

The fuse is coming along nicely. I never thought of embedding carbon fiber rods into the fuse for cross brace attatch points - I'll have to file that one away for use on a future project.

Can't help but notice that you have painted a black mixture onto each fuse joint....I know it's something to strengthen the joint, but just don't know what.

I am enjoying the build!

Art