RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Are Scale RC Models Toys? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/10989580-scale-rc-models-toys.html)

AmishWarlord 03-06-2012 10:58 PM

Are Scale RC Models Toys?

I was thinking about the RC plane, "Toy / Not a Toy" debate.

From the post I have seen on RCU, the sport flyers, ARF flyers, and people that haves their planes built for them tend to call their planes toys more than the scale modelers.

So I was thinking about the deference between these two camps. Then it occurred to me.

Toys are things you play with. So one guy is out having fun with his 40% $6,000 3D plane. He calls it a toy and happily plays with it as a toy. He thinks of his plane as a toy and mistakenly thinks all other planes are toys as well, he doesn’t understand the "It's not a toy" camp.

In another thread a member stated, "It's a toy. If not a toy then what is it"?

The answer is, it's a MODEL.

A toy is by it's nature to be played with. it brings joy from the act of playing with it.

The model is different. A model is to be admired. When an adult builds a static model of a ship or plane he doesn’t intend to play with the ship in the bath tub or run around the house with the plane in his hand making machine gun sounds. The scale builder just works so he can sit back and admire the design of the model and his craftsmanship in making it.

When a RC scale builder makes an RC model plane. The plane is admired just as a plastic 1/72 scale model plane is admired in a glass case on a book shelf. Though his plane is not static it's an operational model.

The RC scale builder doesn’t call his plane a toy because he doesn’t play with it, he admires it. When the scale builder is flying, he is not playing with his toy airplane. He is admiring his flying scale model, flying in the air.

This also explains the difference in the flying styles of the two groups.

One group is having fun flying their toy, doing wild stunts in a care free manner.

While the scale builder are having stratified admiration of their flying models that took a lot of time and labor to accomplish. It's more about pride in a job well done than fun. Actually some scale models fly so poorly that the builder might not be having any fun at all while the model is in the air.

pimmnz 03-07-2012 12:29 AM

RE: Are Scale RC Models Toys?

Depends on your definition of 'toy'. I design, build and fly all my scale models but they are all 'toys'. My reason for saying so is because they are not 'tools'. That is, they aren't designed to do a particular, useful, job that can't be done some easier way. Therefore, a model plane designed for and used for photography, or any other sort of data collection is not, by my definition, a 'toy', but a tool. My scale models do nothing but provide me with a bit of pleasure, something I can play with, a 'toy' by any other name. And, let us not forget, 'He who dies with the most toys...'
Evan, WB #12.

beepee 03-07-2012 12:53 AM

"Toy" according to the fat dictionary on my desk: "1. an object, often small imitation of some familiar thing, for children or others to play with; a plaything. 2. a thing ... of no value or importance, a trifle." A few points fit for our models, but by-and-large they are of significant value (mine are to me, anyway) and definitely no trifle. Of course, my dictionary is old, and I don't believe its writers bought toys for their kids recently. There are a bunch of them that are also far from a 'trifle.' So, where does that leave us? I know some get twisted off relative to the use of 'toy' attached to our models. Thus this thread I suppose. I don't care what they are called away from the flying field. At the field, we all know what they are.

Bedford

abufletcher 03-07-2012 01:34 AM

Of course they're toys. And so are stereo systems and iPods and cameras and golf clubs and luxury cars and anything else we don't strictly need to survive. But I'll add that anyone who makes their own toys is, in my eyes, a step above someone who buys them.

LesUyeda 03-07-2012 07:17 AM

My #2 son't "toy" is an 18' outboard catamaran boat, that is now sitting in our front yard because he doesn't currently have the room at house.

My old "toy" was a Kawasaki 1200 touring bike, that I loved dearly, and would like to have another (wife won't let me:-((((((((((()

Les

LesUyeda 03-07-2012 07:18 AM

My #2 son't "toy" is an 18' outboard catamaran boat, that is now sitting in our front yard because he doesn't currently have the room at house.

My old "toy" was a Kawasaki 1200 touring bike, that I loved dearly, and would like to have another (wife won't let me:-((((((((((()

What is left of my fleet of aircraft "toys" is hanging in the garage; the rest went to one of my sons, when I quit using them.

Les

Michaelj2k 03-07-2012 09:16 AM

This was somewhat covered in the original "Flight of the Phoenix" (the good one) where Heinrich Dorfmann replies to Frank Towns "He builds toy airplanes" remark. Dorfmann replies, "Mister Townes, a toy airplane is something that you wind up and it rolls across the floor". "A model airplane is subject to all the forces of flight and that it must fly according to its own stability" (something to that effect). For a kid building Guillows and Sterling stick and tissue kits, it made my day.

IL2windhawk 03-07-2012 09:20 AM

Scale models (whether flying or plastic scale) are not toys. They are more like historical recreations, sort of like museum pieces. They are built as reflections of the real world. Think of a civil war battlefield model, with all the little soldiers and trees and houses. It was built to tell a story, not to play with. Scale flying models are more like this I think, than just toys. If historical importance was not a part of the model, then it would not have rivets, weathering, authentic markings, etc..

Just my opinion. It's an interesting question.

cocobear 03-07-2012 10:50 AM

Toy for sure

bokuda 03-07-2012 11:08 AM

I agree with Abu. I consider my rc planes to be in the same category as golf clubs, fishing gear, photo equipment, scuba etc. Most wouldn't consider these to be toys, but they sure are fun for a lot of people.

M_Callahan 03-07-2012 01:59 PM

It has been my experience that when somebody I know calls my Scale RC Model Aircraft "toys" its because they are trying
to jerk my chain.

WacoNut 03-07-2012 02:21 PM

I call them my Toys, and that is with affection I might add.
Most of the guys that see my planes are bewildered at how I can sepnd so much time and effort working on them to risk putting them in the air. To me that is the wow factor I am looking for when I build a scale plane. It nice when someone recognizes and appreciates the time and effort than went into the build. That is only a feeling you can get from something you built yourself.
Love my toys;)
Anthony

mrbigg 03-07-2012 06:09 PM

Just ask your wife or girlfriend. I bet they call them toys. My wife does.

KitBuilder 03-07-2012 06:59 PM

Who cares... now. is it a Hobby or Sport :)

jessiej 03-07-2012 07:07 PM

Model airplanes are toys, unless somehow are used as tools. OTOH I recently picked up a sweater from the cleaners in a plastic bag that was clearly labeled "This is not a toy".

Thus it is clear that while model airplanes (trains, boats, etc.) are toys plastic bags are not.[8D]

jess

Pa-18cub150 03-07-2012 07:07 PM

If I derive entertainment or enjoyment it’s a toy! If I derive income from an item it’s a tool. Some of my toys are investments but I separate investments from income. I never consider R/C items investments. Unless I jokingly remark that I am investing in a smoking hole.

flyallday 03-07-2012 09:42 PM

<div style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); padding-top: 5px; padding-right: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-family: Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; ">I think the AMA classifies them as "toys" until the wingspan is 80" and then it is considered a "man toy"
</div>Harry

Rob2160 03-07-2012 10:22 PM

There are so many definitions of Toy on the internet..

So the answer could be yes or no, depending on how strictly you abide by definitions.

<table class="ts"><tr><td width="80" valign="top" style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; COLOR: rgb(102,102,102); PADDING-TOP: 5px">Noun:</td><td valign="top" style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px"><table class="ts"><tr><td>
    </td></tr></table></td></tr></table>Some people might take offense at their RC aircraft being called Toys, but for me.. Yep.. I love my Toys...

AmishWarlord 03-08-2012 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
    Love the tool or toy guys. Such a simple world they live in.

I myself would classify the painting of the Mona Lisa as not a tool or a toy but as another object called art.

Just as I classify my RC planes as models.

Now if you want to see a real can of worms opened, ask the art crowd if this plastic model of an Rufe is art of not.

guamflyer 03-08-2012 01:10 AM

you guys are funny..one thing I do know is that anyone who see's me flying always asks " where did you buy you're airplane? " i always refer to my models as RC Airplanes ...and leave it at that...they walk away and its still my plane weather its called a toy or model...I get to fly so it doesn't really matter....again I get to fly.......

beepee 03-08-2012 02:07 AM

I want to go back to asking the wife or girlfriend ...

It would be much more fun to get them together and let them debate the subject. I want the popcorn concession for that show!

:D

Bedford

TomCrump 03-08-2012 02:32 AM

[sm=frown.gif]

AmishWarlord 03-08-2012 02:47 AM

Girlfriend toy, wife tool.

doolittles 03-08-2012 06:11 AM

Hi All you guys are so funny !
    Your mothers and Santa gave you TOYS !!
    As adults we build and fly RC Model Not toys !!!! Tools is what you use to build you Models !!

Hard left turn to the finish

ZoomZoom-RCU 03-08-2012 07:00 AM

I myself would classify the painting of the Mona Lisa as not a tool or a toy but as another object called art.

Much in this vein, I refer to my RC aircraft creations as "3-Dimensional Flying Art!"

Beat that.;)

ZZ.