RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Fabric look on glass parts?? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11252386-fabric-look-glass-parts.html)

TLH101 10-05-2012 06:02 PM

Fabric look on glass parts??

I am building a 1/4 scale Spacewalker from a foam and glass kit. I plan to use Coverite to cover the wings and tail, but it has a glass fuse and glass wingtips. Looking for a way to get a "fabric" look on these parts to match the covered parts. Any ideas?

ARUP 10-05-2012 07:42 PM

RE: Fabric look on glass parts??

Try some Koverall or similar non-pre-glued fabric. Use the Stix-It to stick the fabric to the glass. Just apply the adhesive straight thru the fabric and onto the fuse and burnish it into the fabric with the brush. This stuff ain't paint! Spread it around thin so as to keep the fabric pattern 'proud'. Cut along 'natural' seam lines, like fuse stringers, if the fabric starts to fold upon itself. Don't use heat iron- not needed. Try it on the inside of fuse for practice. Lightly sand to knock the 'shine' off and give a little 'tooth' to the application. You will have to paint when done.

abufletcher 10-06-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ARUP
Use the Stix-It to stick the fabric to the glass. Just apply the adhesive straight thru the fabric and onto the fuse and burnish it into the fabric with the brush. This stuff ain't paint!
Indeed it's not. You could just use Minwax PolyC instead to adhere a layer of fabric to glass. Note, however, that since you wouldn't be able to iron-out any wrinkles or slack, the fabric would have to be applied perfectly from the very beginning. This could prove difficult. (And frankly, I've found trimming Koverall to be quite difficult).

Can't you just cover the wingtips and fuse with the same Coverite you're planning to use on the wings? I'm not sure how to apply Coverite over solid surfaces, but I'm sure people do it.

TomCrump 10-06-2012 04:15 AM

Abu is right, it would have to be perfect. I wouldn't use Koverall, though. I'd use 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth. Apply it with Minwax Polycryllic, and paint.

I'm not positive, but I believe the wingtips on the full size Spacewalker are fiberglass. They wouldn't necessarily be covered .

speedracerntrixie 10-06-2012 08:19 AM

You should be able to apply any of the fabric iron on coverings to the fiberglass. I apply Monokote and Ultracote to painted fiberglass parts all the time. For some added security you could post cure the fuse at a higher temp. Start with 100 degrees and ramp up 5 degrees every 1/2 hour to 150 degrees and soak at 150-180 for a few hours. This will make the fuse able to withstand higher temps while applying the fabric. The real important thing here is to heat it evenly. I have in the past built a 1/4" ply box and set a fuse inside on standoffs. A heat lamp or even a hair dryer can provide the heat. I have even post cured parts on a hot day by simply putting them in the car.

TFF 10-06-2012 12:43 PM

Iron on should work. With fine sandpaper knock the gloss off the parts.

Boomerang1 10-06-2012 02:25 PM

You could make a tube of Koverall to cover the rear fuselage a LITTLE oversize & sew it along the belly.

Slide it in position then shrink it to size before using whatever you decide to attach/seal it with.

I believe this is a normal practice in some full size fabric applications. - John.

Mustang51 10-07-2012 05:15 AM

Why not paint those parts and before the paint dries lay a piece of the fabric covering on the paint and then lift it off leaving the texture of the fabric imprinted into the paint. obviously do some test piecs before you attempt the final look.

-M51