RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   THE BEST P-51D (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11303084-best-p-51d.html)

rpat 11-19-2012 04:12 PM

THE BEST P-51D

Guys ,
I am looking to build a P51D and was wondering out of all of them in your opiniion who makes the best one. I am looking to make it gas not nitro.

Ram-bro 11-19-2012 05:35 PM

RE: THE BEST P-51D

need more innfo, what size/scale, what model, arf or kit, what model..A,D,B etc, best building . best flying etc......and budget

rpat 11-19-2012 06:58 PM

Ram,
I am not worried about the money. I would like to keep it under a 100" wingspan. I am not a big fan of giants. I would like to stay away from nitro, I have been flying electric for a few years now and do not miss the nitro mess. Gas would be alright. I see that Hanger9 has one out but I hear that the retracts are not the best. I have not payed much attention to planes as I usually fly helis, but I still like to fly the planes once in a while. ARF is the way that I want to go. I have been flying for about 35 years and have been burned out on scratch building. I do have a turbine that I fly and have always wanted to have a P-51D but have never got around to building one.

Wayne22 11-19-2012 07:20 PM

Aerotech, Comp Arf, and Aeroworks have top end P-51D models....

rpat 11-19-2012 07:29 PM

thanks Wayne. You don't happen to have any address for them?

Chris Nicastro 11-20-2012 01:10 AM

The Best P-51D is subjective and Ive been looking for years to buy the best composite kit made. Im very picky about Mustangs so this is what Ive seen so far...

Aerotech is no longer in production but some kits show up for sale from time to time. Probably the most accurate scale P-51D of the bunch. I own one kit and its very detailed. Its all composite construction and has an aluminum wingspar. It builds on the heavy side by all accounts but has every detail and function including radiator doors. The kits are usually more than $2500 when available.

The Aeroworks ARF is good for an every day flier and it comes very complete for the money. Now they offer a second color scheme and a B model so they must have been successful with the D model. Shop them direct or through Tower Hobbies and go for about $1600 and up. I never owned one of these but considered it at one point.

The CARF P-51D requires a lot of work to build but they have updated the kit to be more pre-built in its current generation. I found several mistakes in the surface details but the basic shape of the plane is good. Wingspan is 100in and has a good reputation. I sold the kit I had in favor of another project so I didnt get to fly it.

Aside from these three there is one from Fischer in Germany but its bigger than you require.

I have not found another P-51D better than the Aerotech unfortunately even if it does build heavy. Yes there are others out there but it goes back to what you consider the best. For me it was finding the most scale rendition I could find in a composite plane.

Hope this helps you choose.

rpat 11-20-2012 06:14 AM

Chris,
Thanks for the info. I was looking at the aeroworks one last night. To me the difference in all of them is the landing gear. The wire retracts just don't cut it. Wire gear makes the P-51 look like a toy. What do you think about the Hanger9 one? with the right landing gear on it I think it could be viable. I like the idea of puting one of the newer gas engines from OS or Siato would be the right combo for me.
Rich

BobH 11-20-2012 06:25 AM

Rich, your question started out as "whats the best P-51?" Chris gave you the three best out there. One of them isnt available unless you buy second hand.

If you want a good flying, decent looking P-51 get the Top Flite ARF with Robart gear. Or the Aeroworks which is more expensive.

smithcreek 11-20-2012 06:35 AM

I don't know, I mean this is directly from the Hangar 9 site:

The level of exceptional scale detail Hangar 9 has built into the P-51D is virtually without equal.

...scale detail including bombs and gun ports, trim scheme and nose art, no other ARF can even compare when it comes to scale realism.

Warbird fanatics will flip for the factory-installed UltraTract metal retracts, scale flaps, authentic UltraCote trim scheme and other prototypical details.
Surely they would not lie. [:'(]

Seriously though, do they think the more times they write "fantastic detail" "incredible detail" "exceptional realism" the less people will notice the ultracote and poorly molded-and-glued-to-the-fuselage ABS plastic parts? In the AMA magazine this month I noticed the same over the top description of a foam Gee Bee R2 whose basic scale outline was so far off it barely resembled the real plane.

abufletcher 11-20-2012 06:47 AM

I also don't understand how model (and particularly ARF) manufacturers can get away with such blatant lies. Scale in these adds means virtually nothing. It means something like "rather than not including any details whatsoever, we've added a small number of almost cartoonish representational stand-ins for some features of the real aircraft." Seriously, it's like these ads are targeting 9 year olds.

rpat 11-20-2012 07:05 AM

Bob,
Can I get a gas engine in the Top Flight? I really don't want to go nitro.

Chad Veich 11-20-2012 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: rpat

Bob,
The TF bird is larger than the Hangar 9 you seem to favor at this point and is much more suitable for a gas engine due to its sturdier construction in my opinion.

Chris Nicastro 11-20-2012 12:03 PM

The retracts can be changed out on any plane. You can use Robostruts to get a decent scale look and some suspension. The larger Top Flight and H9 Mustangs are sport scale planes all wood construction and give you a good feel for a larger plane. They accept gas engines and the DLE 55RA and DLE 35RA are great choices, very compact, great for narrow nose war birds.

The TF Mustang is known for having weak main gear mounts and even the best landings have failed them. If you choose this plane you must strengthen the mounts to ensure reliable operation.

vertical grimmace 11-20-2012 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

I also don't understand how model (and particularly ARF) manufacturers can get away with such blatant lies. Scale in these adds means virtually nothing. It means something like ''rather than not including any details whatsoever, we've added a small number of almost cartoonish representational stand-ins for some features of the real aircraft.'' Seriously, it's like these ads are targeting 9 year olds.
I agree. To me the "Scale" ARF is like fast food. More about getting flying than anything else.

Gas is the way to go and the 35-55cc size is a great way to go. I have 3 DLE engines and love them.

prop wash 11-20-2012 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If I had the money I would take the Aero works with the gear and put a gasser if it would fit in the cowling,completely!

Tluu 11-20-2012 05:13 PM

I have a hangar 9 p-51 150 with a dle 30 and a topflite p-51 1/5 with a dle55. They both fly really nice and land slow, like some of these have mention, you have to reinforce the landing gear area. My next p-51 would probably be an aerowork.

wallace.tharp 11-20-2012 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: rpat

Bob,
rpat: If I were you with your experience with electric I would not rule it out for your P-51. I really hate the sound of a 2 stroke gasser in a war bird, sounds like somebody is getting ready to cut down a tree with a chain saw. Guy from Northr Ridge, LA did a thread a year or two back that was fantastic. He even had sound on his P-51. I am working on an ESM P-39 with a Hacker 60L and two 5000 MA & a Castle 120 ESC. I used the system in a 12.5 lb Funtana & it has gobbs of power with a 22" prop. Keep us posted. wallace.tharp

Frank Ts Stuff 11-20-2012 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We have a pair of Hangar 9 1.50 Mustangs (generation 2, Ferocious Frankie markings) we are flying with 40cc Fox (sachs) engines. They fly awesome. I suggest adding the Robart pnuematic gear as we have recently done. Gear are still not scale but are much more robust. I stripped/glassed/bashed mine into a Korean era F-51. All up weight about 20#'s. Besides the exhaust can on the left side of the cowl, I think the engine is pretty well concealed...

Now if by best, you mean scale fidelity, let us not forget Dave Platt models. Not an ARF by any means but a fine P-51 model indeed!

-Sean

WI53072 11-20-2012 09:07 PM

Check out the build threads here on RCU. There is a wealth of information regarding numerous different P-51's. You get the added bonus of reviewing the kit and build before you decide. Good Luck!

HoundDog 11-20-2012 11:40 PM

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;">I have a Hanger 9 P-51D Blue Nose w/ a RCFG 20 cc gas ... the tank was crap but the Landing gear is unique but U have to modify it if U wse any servos but JR... Use only JR 791 MG the JR-88's are Junk and the same 3 teath break off if U stop the gear in transit for any reason. It's not an easy plane to fly off grass it likes to tip over on the nose and you have to keep the speed up on landing ... I have the Marie from GP or Nitro Models with a Saito 125 four strok and it's a little more forgiving but like any high preformance war bird it takes practice and consitration... Especially on take off. There is a reason the full scale P-51 have locking tail wheels.... Hope this helps good luck.</span></span>

rpat 11-21-2012 04:42 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. from what everyone on here has said I think that the aero works one has the best detail. Now I have to make up my mind on wether I want to put that kind of money into the project. I know that I said that money will not get in the way But I just finished a turbine and I kind of spent a load on it. The Hanger9 With the siato 1.50 in it may be the ticket for me.

BobH 11-21-2012 06:46 AM

Rich, no problem with putting a gas engine in the TF. I forgot to mention that Century Jet also makes a Decent P-51. It's not an ARF though.

I flew my TF for over 10 years and only had gear issues once. After the first incident I made the supports more robust.

The Hanger Nine looks fine. Scale? hmm sorta scale hows that? Most are only Sorta scale anyway unless you make them more scale.

HoundDog 11-21-2012 07:00 AM

<span style="font-family: Courier New;"><span style="font-size: medium;">Heck it's only MONEY go for a turo-Prop P-51 ... so what if you don't eat next month.</span></span>

rpat 11-21-2012 07:25 AM

hounddog
LOL...Ramen noodles here I come.

mcfast 11-21-2012 10:57 AM

You need a motor like the one in this ! best sound ever for a P-51 RC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnJk...DS7MwlKwn5gaLg

HoundDog 11-21-2012 03:00 PM

<span style="font-family: Courier New;"><span style="font-size: medium;"><span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;">Now Stop that teasing ... Gota have more info on the plane and the Motor ... PLZ ... At least where the Landing Lights come from ... Great for us O'l Gezzers with failing eyes. PLZ tell us more facts ....</span></span></span>

mcfast 11-21-2012 03:48 PM

Here is more info, do not have much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-b0S...eature=related

FireBee 11-21-2012 03:58 PM

The online Model Aiplane News article reported P-51s were the most popular at Warbirds over Delaware this year. -cause they fly so nice, any size is good, but bigger is better.

Agree with BobH, Aero-tech, is a very nice kit, fiberglass it and add the details and you can make it very realistic. My buddy has owned two, with Da-50s.

I have a top flight kit built with brison 3.2 (52cc). Many others in my club also flying top flight ARFs with gas (45cc to 3w-60s). You can get in the air faster as usually you cover with a iron on material and we then spray paint with rattle cans to a particular scheme.
These are all mostly 1/5 scale and have 85-88 inch wingspans.

rpat 11-21-2012 07:44 PM

Mcfast,
Man that video that you showed has got to be one of the best sounding remotes that I have ever heard. That is absolutely awesome. The only better sounding remote that I have heard was a guy had the OS 4 cylinder in it. The thing sounded like a ferrari in the air. Wish that we could track down what engine was in it.

Ram-bro 11-21-2012 07:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHHdh...feature=relmfu

straitnickel 11-21-2012 10:05 PM

You've got to learn to cut through the hype. LOL, no kidding.

wallace.tharp 12-03-2012 05:04 PM

ORIGINAL: mcfast

You need a motor like the one in this ! best sound ever for a P-51 RC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PnJk...DS7MwlKwn5gaLg
I AGREE!!! Best P-51 R/C ever, but.... nothing sounds better than the real thing. Years back in the Mojave, Cal, Air Race a guy flew a DC-7 around the pylons. I believe he entered the Unlimited class. Those 4 round engines really sing a beautiful song. I woke up one morning in Yukon Territory, Canada sleeping under the wing of my 1/1 Piper PA-16 to the sound of A-26 fire bombers taking off one after the other. Fantastic, especially when they are only about 75 feet from you. The 5 cylinder radial R/C engines are beautiful sounding for the appropriate plane. wallace.tharp

HoundDog 12-03-2012 05:45 PM

<span style="font-family: Comic Sans MS;"><span style="font-size: medium;">Speaking of Radials check this Moki 225 5 Cylinder Sounds like a Volks Wagon in Steroids.</span></span>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FqjWbygAhI

rpat 12-03-2012 07:31 PM

Man if I only had the money to do a project like that sea fury not that I would ever build a sea fury. A P-51D with a miniature 12 cylinder in it would be the real thing

Ram-bro 12-03-2012 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
check this out..... http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...et=last#399805

for those not members here s the V4 that wll be gong nto a 1/4scale 190d9, called the Phoenx

HoundDog 12-04-2012 06:08 AM

<table width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center"> <tbody> <tr> <td align="left" class="heading">Access Denied</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="71%" align="left" class="bold">http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/skins/...older_icon.gifRCSCALEBUILDER.COM&gt;Access Denied</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

BobH 12-04-2012 08:09 AM

You might need to be a member to view the link. I am and had no problems. Fyi it's a V4 nearly completed. Should sound great!

The Mustang in the videos has a Kolm 200 for power. Fastest P-51 in Europe! I spoke with the designer at Toledo last spring. Nice man to talk with.

HoundDog 12-04-2012 03:07 PM

<span style="font-size: larger;"><span style="color: rgb(128, 0, 0);">U R Right ... Spent 15 minutes filling out the sign up thing and it crapped out ... Ain't got time for all that crap thay can keep their web site ... RCU is bade enough about that crap.</span></span>

ORIGINAL: BobH

You might need to be a member to view the link. I am and had no problems. Fyi it's a V4 nearly completed. Should sound great!

The Mustang in the videos has a Kolm 200 for power. Fastest P-51 in Europe! I spoke with the designer at Toledo last spring. Nice man to talk with.

LesUyeda 12-05-2012 07:44 AM

:-)))))))))))))))))))

Signs of my ageing. I saw galloping ghost, and expected to see the rudder going flop-flop-flop:-)))))))))

Les

rpat 12-30-2012 05:02 AM

OK how about the CARF Models P-51? Has any one have any info on this one?