RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   1987 scale masters chapionships (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11321443-1987-scale-masters-chapionships.html)

pattnut 12-10-2012 01:30 PM

RE: 1987 scale masters chapionships

JeffEE and Warbird_1,

The field in the video is long gone. Property was sold to a developer for homes. The field lives on in TWO different locations now. One is a carbon copy north and east of the old location, the other located at the County park (Silver Bowl stadium, soccer complex). Where the video was shot will forever be known as "The old Ann Rd Field".

Old Dawg

warbird_1 12-10-2012 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Great video WB1, thanks for sharing. I passed the link around to our One Eighth Air Force mailing group which includes members Kent Walters, Bob Frey, Al Casey, and Brian O'Meara, all of which competed at the event and were shown in the video. A real blast from the past that I'm sure they will get a kick out of!

PS - A little birdy told me you might have some pictures of ''Perestroika'' amongst your collection. Any chance you have some close ups of the various markings on the bird? Mine is very nearly ready for finish work. Any help much appreciated.
chad , forgive me for not understanding what Perestroika is lol but if i got it it's yours lol . yea videos like that are bitter sweet. on one hand it reminds of good times past and years gone by too.

warbird_1 12-10-2012 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: pattnut

JeffEE and Warbird_1,

The field in the video is long gone. Property was sold to a developer for homes. The field lives on in TWO different locations now. One is a carbon copy north and east of the old location, the other located at the County park (Silver Bowl stadium, soccer complex). Where the video was shot will forever be known as ''The old Ann Rd Field''.

Old Dawg
pat , i don't live there but are you sure. i picked up a lot of land marks watching the video from i was out there 4 years ago. but like i said i don't live there so....

Chad Veich 12-10-2012 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

chad , forgive me for not understanding what Perestroika is lol but if i got it it's yours lol . yea videos like that are bitter sweet. on one hand it reminds of good times past and years gone by too.
Perestroika is what Bob Yancey called his Yak-11 racer before it became the current "Czech Mate" WB1. I'm looking for pics of the markings when owned by Yancey and painted as shown below.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...erestroika.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/perstka1.jpg

mr.snaproll 12-17-2012 02:39 PM

Is there anyway you could send me a file of the video so I could burn it to Dvd. I really want this video for my collection.

Take care, Andy

warbird_1 12-17-2012 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mr.snaproll

Is there anyway you could send me a file of the video so I could burn it to Dvd. I really want this video for my collection.

Take care, Andy
andy , the file is 2.5 gig. no chance of sending. if you front the cost of shipping , i'll burn one for ya.

mr_matt 12-17-2012 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mr.snaproll

Take care, Andy
Just download it from YouTube. Use tubemate or something

warbird_1 12-17-2012 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
google chrome has an add-on that will let you do that. here's a snapshot of my chrome browser. if you look under the video window you'll see a download botton. you can also select the file type and size from a drop down menu.

mr.snaproll 12-17-2012 04:33 PM

I don't have the equipment to burn it myself. I tried downloading it from youtube and took it to a local video place and they couldn't transfer it to Dvd. If you can burn it to a Dvd that I can use on my Tv I would be glad to pay you for it. My email is [email protected]. let my know what you can do and I will send you some $$$.

Andy

mr_matt 12-17-2012 04:36 PM

google chrome has an add-on that will let you do that.

What is it called warbird? That is Chrome for PC right? I have not seen it for Android.

thanks for the tip

warbird_1 12-17-2012 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

google chrome has an add-on that will let you do that.

What is it called warbird? That is Chrome for PC right? I have not seen it for Android.

thanks for the tip
yea matt pc.... don't know about android . if you do a search through google you should find it. i hate EI and i refuse to use it. it's like a door that virus's can walk through. i don't use anti virus stuff and can't recall the last time i had a virus . oh... i did start using the windows virus thing just to try it out. put it on last week

John Redman 12-17-2012 08:17 PM

That was the old Bill Bennett field or Circus field out off the north side of Vegas and Craig road. Flew there in the mid 80's. it is not the field that is now located behind the silver bowl. Also known as the TOC field back in the day. Many a flights off that runway. Great video! Some of the greats there. That was back when scale modeling was making a name for itself. Thanks for sharing.

warbird_1 12-18-2012 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

That was the old Bill Bennett field or Circus field out off the north side of Vegas and Craig road. Flew there in the mid 80's. it is not the field that is now located behind the silver bowl. Also known as the TOC field back in the day. Many a flights off that runway. Great video! Some of the greats there. That was back when scale modeling was making a name for itself. Thanks for sharing.
interesting john , so there's houses on that site now? how far from the old site is the new site?

quist 12-18-2012 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

interesting john , so there's houses on that site now? how far from the old site is the new site?
Read Pattnut's post. He has been a leader in that club forever.

pattnut 12-18-2012 07:44 PM

OK, here we go: Dial up Google Earth on your PC. Zero in on Las Vegas.
The current location of the old "Ann Rd Field", now named Willie McCool Model park: 36 15' 35.75"N 115 11' 54.0"W

The current "Bennett Field", site of the last 4 or 5 TOCs: 36 05' 23.77"N 115 00' 54.96"W

Now, the fun part. The former "Ann Rd ( Bill Bennett's) field", where the '87 video (where I judged) was shot:
36 15' 35.75"N 115 09' 39.44"W. After you've located the coordinates, look at the bottom and click on "2002". There you will see remnants of the old field...
enjoy,
Old Dawg

warbird_1 12-19-2012 03:47 AM

cool pat thanks . i guess when your pointing a camera at nothing but desert , it all looks the same lol

youngguy 12-19-2012 09:40 AM

Thanks for the video. Great memories. Doesn't seem all that long ago. In spite of the rain, it was one of the more memorable finals I attended. Kinda lights the fire to do it again.

warbird_1 12-19-2012 09:58 AM

ORIGINAL: youngguy

Thanks for the video. Great memories. Doesn't seem all that long ago. In spite of the rain, it was one of the more memorable finals I attended. Kinda lights the fire to do it again.
your welcome .. glad you enjoyed it . Now get building.. your never to old lol

warbird_1 12-19-2012 09:59 AM

i wish Dennis Crooks could see this lol he looked pretty young in that video.

abufletcher 12-31-2012 09:20 AM

I finally got to watch the video! :D What a lot of fun! What struck me first is that for the most part we're still modeling the very same aircraft we were modeling 25 years ago. Second, as others here have commented, was the prevalence of "smaller" models (or maybe we could just same "normal" size models like the ones most of us see on a typical day of Sunday flying).

At any rate, in most ways it seems like time stands still for RC Scale.

vertical grimmace 12-31-2012 01:04 PM

A typical day at our flying field has much larger aircraft than 10-12 years ago. Most are 50cc or bigger. Most of the aerobatic stuff is 100cc and up.

What would be a major change is if you could peek inside the aircraft to look at servos and such.

I think I have just gotten used to seeing very large aircraft. We have an 800' runway, and we host the Warbirds over the Rockies event every summer. You should have seen Brian O'Meara's 1/3rd scale P47 fly. That thing was crazy big.

abufletcher 12-31-2012 06:49 PM

Well, there's no doubt that Americans are flying much larger models today than is the norm in Japan. :)

scale dail 01-02-2013 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

great video. Boy have things have changed in 25yrs. 40 and 60 size planes, Ducted Fan, no turbines and Frank Tiano flying:D. Just look at the names of some of the pilots. Charlie Chambers and his P 51. I remember that plane as one that over and above other planes because of its alum. covering. I didnt think it was possible to compete with a 46 size warbird.
Charlie Chambers metal covered P-51 was I believe a Dave Platt design with an 80" span. I do not think it is possible to compete with a 46 size P-51 even if it is covered with metal! (He He!)

Ram-bro 01-02-2013 07:03 PM

wasnt talking about the mustang, there were several other smaller planes in the video. Heck I dont think that ws the Big Beautiful Doll that Charlie made fameous either. Just a good time capsule piece.....

Chad Veich 01-02-2013 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: scale dail
I do not think it is possible to compete with a 46 size P-51 even if it is covered with metal! (He He!)
Well, there is this one guy that I know...