RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   1987 scale masters chapionships (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11321443-1987-scale-masters-chapionships.html)

warbird_1 12-06-2012 05:54 AM

1987 scale masters chapionships

lol , i just got done watching and old vhs tape that was given to me a while ago. it is the 1987 u.s. scale masters championship in Vegas . it was funny to see that things changed so much but not much at all lol . A lot of those guys are either gone or old farts now. i was at the field about 4 years ago and it sure looks different now compared to back then just thought i'd share that . anybody want it posted on you tube?

MaineBear 12-06-2012 06:40 AM

RE: 1987 scale masters chapionships

Yes. Please do! Tks!...

Dick

TFF 12-06-2012 07:08 AM

Please. If I look at an old magazine, I am looking for those old kinds of pictures. I got to go to the 81 Nats as a kid, and though the turnout was low, I got to see the planes and meet the people which was a big deal for a 14 year old kid.

FlyerInOKC 12-06-2012 09:10 AM

Count me in post it please!

OldScaleGuy 12-06-2012 09:22 AM

Sure, please do. I flew a Dave Platt Zero at that contest.

Ram-bro 12-06-2012 09:54 AM

its always good to see history

warbird_1 12-06-2012 11:58 AM

i will work on it today . i'll post here when it's uploaded. WB_1

OldScaleGuy 12-06-2012 02:28 PM

Great. Thank you.

pattnut 12-06-2012 04:45 PM

I would sure like to see that!...
I was one of the flight judges, so I have a vested intrest.

Old Dawg

warbird_1 12-07-2012 03:47 AM

Video is ready ! it is full length. hope you enjoy it. pm me if you have any questions ... also i'm still looking for original Discovery wings video series tapes to borrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YOVMWVEpm8

abufletcher 12-07-2012 03:52 AM

Blocked in "my" country for copyright reasons. [:o] Ah, well. I recall accidentally coming across the US Scale Nationals (though I didn't know that's what they were at the time) in the early 80's at Mile Square Park in Southern Cal. I was just out for a walk and came across these really neat model airplanes that also flew. I particularly remember an F4 Phantom with a functional canopy and a drog shute that deployed on landing.

Ram-bro 12-07-2012 05:03 AM

great video. Boy have things have changed in 25yrs. 40 and 60 size planes, Ducted Fan, no turbines and Frank Tiano flying:D. Just look at the names of some of the pilots. Charlie Chambers and his P 51. I remember that plane as one that over and above other planes because of its alum. covering. I didnt think it was possible to compete with a 46 size warbird.

warbird_1 12-07-2012 05:34 AM

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Blocked in ''my'' country for copyright reasons. [:o] Ah, well. I recall accidentally coming across the US Scale Nationals (though I didn't know that's what they were at the time) in the early 80's at Mile Square Park in Southern Cal. I was just out for a walk and came across these really neat model airplanes that also flew. I particularly remember an F4 Phantom with a functional canopy and a drog shute that deployed on landing.
i sent you an email abu..

jetmech43 12-07-2012 06:25 AM

Good video

warbird_1 12-07-2012 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: jetmech43

Good video
thanks jet... glad you liked it. if you like warbirds , feel free to check out my other videos on youtube .

vertical grimmace 12-07-2012 07:13 AM

Thanks for posting. Very interesting to watch.

TFF 12-07-2012 07:54 AM

Good video. Lots of diverse planes.

OldScaleGuy 12-07-2012 08:59 AM

Great video. Thank you!

Airacobra 12-07-2012 09:19 AM

Wow, that's when model airplanes were model airplanes and not 1/2 size ultralights!

jeffEE 12-07-2012 01:55 PM

I lived in Vegas for 19 years, 1986-2005. I don't think I ever flew at that field. I THINK that it is a big soccer complex now, and the flying moved to the Silver dome. But I could be wrong. Either way, nice video.

warbird_1 12-07-2012 05:33 PM

jeff , that field is still there in Henderson . there's a fairly new football stadium next to it. it's a lot different today. WB_1 p.s. thanks for the kind words

jeffEE 12-08-2012 05:14 PM

Is that how the Bennet Mem. field looked then? WOW, has it changed. I think LVRC still flies from there. In the video its crazy watching the cars drive at the end of the flight line during take offs.

rcrmel 12-10-2012 07:30 AM

Thank you so much for sharing. I have posted a note on the Scale Masters web site on the forum and many are watching it there as well.
I have never seen this video and what a pleasure it has been. Thank you again. Mel Santmyers.

warbird_1 12-10-2012 08:49 AM

your welcome

Chad Veich 12-10-2012 12:40 PM

Great video WB1, thanks for sharing. I passed the link around to our One Eighth Air Force mailing group which includes members Kent Walters, Bob Frey, Al Casey, and Brian O'Meara, all of which competed at the event and were shown in the video. A real blast from the past that I'm sure they will get a kick out of!

PS - A little birdy told me you might have some pictures of "Perestroika" amongst your collection. Any chance you have some close ups of the various markings on the bird? Mine is very nearly ready for finish work. Any help much appreciated.

pattnut 12-10-2012 01:30 PM

JeffEE and Warbird_1,

The field in the video is long gone. Property was sold to a developer for homes. The field lives on in TWO different locations now. One is a carbon copy north and east of the old location, the other located at the County park (Silver Bowl stadium, soccer complex). Where the video was shot will forever be known as "The old Ann Rd Field".

Old Dawg

warbird_1 12-10-2012 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Great video WB1, thanks for sharing. I passed the link around to our One Eighth Air Force mailing group which includes members Kent Walters, Bob Frey, Al Casey, and Brian O'Meara, all of which competed at the event and were shown in the video. A real blast from the past that I'm sure they will get a kick out of!

PS - A little birdy told me you might have some pictures of ''Perestroika'' amongst your collection. Any chance you have some close ups of the various markings on the bird? Mine is very nearly ready for finish work. Any help much appreciated.
chad , forgive me for not understanding what Perestroika is lol but if i got it it's yours lol . yea videos like that are bitter sweet. on one hand it reminds of good times past and years gone by too.

warbird_1 12-10-2012 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: pattnut

JeffEE and Warbird_1,

The field in the video is long gone. Property was sold to a developer for homes. The field lives on in TWO different locations now. One is a carbon copy north and east of the old location, the other located at the County park (Silver Bowl stadium, soccer complex). Where the video was shot will forever be known as ''The old Ann Rd Field''.

Old Dawg
pat , i don't live there but are you sure. i picked up a lot of land marks watching the video from i was out there 4 years ago. but like i said i don't live there so....

Chad Veich 12-10-2012 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

chad , forgive me for not understanding what Perestroika is lol but if i got it it's yours lol . yea videos like that are bitter sweet. on one hand it reminds of good times past and years gone by too.
Perestroika is what Bob Yancey called his Yak-11 racer before it became the current "Czech Mate" WB1. I'm looking for pics of the markings when owned by Yancey and painted as shown below.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...erestroika.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/perstka1.jpg

mr.snaproll 12-17-2012 02:39 PM

Is there anyway you could send me a file of the video so I could burn it to Dvd. I really want this video for my collection.

Take care, Andy

warbird_1 12-17-2012 03:57 PM

ORIGINAL: mr.snaproll

Is there anyway you could send me a file of the video so I could burn it to Dvd. I really want this video for my collection.

Take care, Andy
andy , the file is 2.5 gig. no chance of sending. if you front the cost of shipping , i'll burn one for ya.

mr_matt 12-17-2012 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mr.snaproll

Take care, Andy
Just download it from YouTube. Use tubemate or something

warbird_1 12-17-2012 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
google chrome has an add-on that will let you do that. here's a snapshot of my chrome browser. if you look under the video window you'll see a download botton. you can also select the file type and size from a drop down menu.

mr.snaproll 12-17-2012 04:33 PM

I don't have the equipment to burn it myself. I tried downloading it from youtube and took it to a local video place and they couldn't transfer it to Dvd. If you can burn it to a Dvd that I can use on my Tv I would be glad to pay you for it. My email is [email protected]. let my know what you can do and I will send you some $$$.

Andy

mr_matt 12-17-2012 04:36 PM

google chrome has an add-on that will let you do that.

What is it called warbird? That is Chrome for PC right? I have not seen it for Android.

thanks for the tip

warbird_1 12-17-2012 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

google chrome has an add-on that will let you do that.

What is it called warbird? That is Chrome for PC right? I have not seen it for Android.

thanks for the tip
yea matt pc.... don't know about android . if you do a search through google you should find it. i hate EI and i refuse to use it. it's like a door that virus's can walk through. i don't use anti virus stuff and can't recall the last time i had a virus . oh... i did start using the windows virus thing just to try it out. put it on last week

John Redman 12-17-2012 08:17 PM

That was the old Bill Bennett field or Circus field out off the north side of Vegas and Craig road. Flew there in the mid 80's. it is not the field that is now located behind the silver bowl. Also known as the TOC field back in the day. Many a flights off that runway. Great video! Some of the greats there. That was back when scale modeling was making a name for itself. Thanks for sharing.

warbird_1 12-18-2012 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

That was the old Bill Bennett field or Circus field out off the north side of Vegas and Craig road. Flew there in the mid 80's. it is not the field that is now located behind the silver bowl. Also known as the TOC field back in the day. Many a flights off that runway. Great video! Some of the greats there. That was back when scale modeling was making a name for itself. Thanks for sharing.
interesting john , so there's houses on that site now? how far from the old site is the new site?

quist 12-18-2012 07:04 AM

ORIGINAL: John Redman

interesting john , so there's houses on that site now? how far from the old site is the new site?
Read Pattnut's post. He has been a leader in that club forever.

pattnut 12-18-2012 07:44 PM

OK, here we go: Dial up Google Earth on your PC. Zero in on Las Vegas.
The current location of the old "Ann Rd Field", now named Willie McCool Model park: 36 15' 35.75"N 115 11' 54.0"W

The current "Bennett Field", site of the last 4 or 5 TOCs: 36 05' 23.77"N 115 00' 54.96"W

Now, the fun part. The former "Ann Rd ( Bill Bennett's) field", where the '87 video (where I judged) was shot:
36 15' 35.75"N 115 09' 39.44"W. After you've located the coordinates, look at the bottom and click on "2002". There you will see remnants of the old field...
enjoy,
Old Dawg