RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Andy Sheber Pitts s1s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11328170-andy-sheber-pitts-s1s.html)

Cub Flyer Fresno 12-28-2012 11:38 AM

RE: Andy Sheber Pitts s1s

Cool!  Looks good!

Gee Robert, how long of a build table do you have?  Or maybe it's just the angle of the shot.

acerc 12-28-2012 11:41 AM

I have a 6' and a 8'. But that one is 6', it's just the angle of the pic.

acerc 12-28-2012 02:43 PM

Top wing spars glued. Now more waiting. At 9oclock I can attach the leading and trailing edges. And yes!, the wire attachments were bolted to the rib before glueing it up.

Cub Flyer Fresno 12-28-2012 02:46 PM

Looks good Ace!  And yes, that angle gives you a much better perspective.

acerc 12-28-2012 02:51 PM

Glad you approve David.
As you all may well know I am coming to the end of the quick stuff. Thing's will really slow down here shortly, all the detail stuff don't ya know.

WacoNut 12-28-2012 02:59 PM

I hear ya on the details, my Waco will take me 2 months to cover,detail and paint.

The Pitts is looking good, can't wait to see the fabric going on.
Anthony

Melchizedek 12-28-2012 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: acerc

Glad you approve David.
As you all may well know I am coming to the end of the quick stuff. Thing's will really slow down here shortly, all the detail stuff don't ya know.
I for one looking forward to the detail's. Please do detail the details.
I love the threads that go step by step. So much to learn.
Thank you Ace for the detail so far.

Kevin

acerc 12-28-2012 04:08 PM

It's my pleasure Kevin. I'll keep the details detailed.
Thank's for watching.

acerc 12-28-2012 04:55 PM

A little more. Yes I know, it's not 9 oclock yet. But I could glue the edges on without upsetting the ribs, SO!
One of the nice things about these plans is Andy was obviously a model builder. The trailing edge is usually but glued to the riband sheeted. But this is pocket glued ribs and no sheeting. Stronger joint and lighter. The second pic shows the pocket joint.

acerc 12-28-2012 05:03 PM

I am now done until the epoxy cures. Then have to remove wings from plans and laminate the wing tips.

Melchizedek 12-28-2012 07:50 PM

Ace,
just ordered my magnets.
Going to have the fixtures cnc'd at work.

Question on your metal build table.

Did you use a thin skin glued down to a substraight (like mdf)
Or did you go with thicker plate ?
Where did you get your steel ?

Could you elaborate on the way you went and why ?

Thanks,

Kevin

VincentJ 12-29-2012 02:39 AM

Super job on the wing Robert. You have progressed at a rate that is <u>close</u> to Anthony, Congratulations! I like the way you joined your horn to the elevator joining wire, great minds think alike...LOL

acerc 12-29-2012 07:01 AM

Thank's VJ. And it would appear they do. LOL
Kevin the top is 1/8" galvanized. I went with what would be heavy enough to stay put without adhesive so I could switch it out with another one. I have two tops a 6' and an 8'. The 6' is the most used and is the perfect size for my space. But for those long wing's like a cub the 8' comes in real handy.  Your local sheetmetal shop should have any size or weight you may want.

acerc 12-29-2012 07:39 AM

I am sure all of you are aware of the hazards of working while the wife is around. For me it's more of a "Don't get into anything that you can't put down and walk away from right that instant". Well in my quest to get thing's done with her home this week I just realised I did not cut the center ribs, 4 on each wing, down to accomodate sheeting. So they will have to be sanded down to size before I can continue. Fortunately for me I have a Dremel multimax and the flush cut tips with sandpaper added work great for sanding jobs such as this. But unfortunately I think I will put the build on hold until she goes back to work Tuesday. Of course if she makes a trip to town that's a different story.

WacoNut 12-29-2012 08:47 AM

I think you need to give her a shopping list:D

acerc 12-29-2012 08:54 AM

Believe it or not she is all shopped out. I can't get her to leave, without me that is. This is the only downfall of having a shop associated with the house.</p>

straitnickel 12-29-2012 10:53 AM

I heard that Ace, Ive had to buy my wife gas lately to get her to work and back, 2gal.s at a time or she won't turn the car off.

straitnickel 12-29-2012 11:09 AM

Sorry, that last comment was off the mark. I didn't mean to say you habe the same problems that I do.

acerc 12-29-2012 11:16 AM

Ohhhh that's funny!!

acerc 12-29-2012 11:30 AM

Got a few minutes so I layed up the top wing, wing tips.

acerc 12-29-2012 12:20 PM

By the way, the test of visibility by the black cub with yellow stripes confirmed I am not useing black as the base of a plane. So Being as I can not seem to choose between three other models I am going to put up a poll and let you guy's choose for me. It's on the RCSCALE AIRCRAFT forum.

Melchizedek 12-29-2012 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: acerc

By the way, the test of visibility by the black cub with yellow stripes confirmed I am not useing black as the base of a plane. So Being as I can not seem to choose between three other models I am going to put up a poll and let you guy's choose for me. It's on the RCSCALE AIRCRAFT forum.

How about a link ace ?

Kevin

acerc 12-29-2012 02:04 PM

Here ya go.  http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11348602/tm.htm

Cub Flyer Fresno 12-29-2012 10:53 PM

Gosh Ace, sounds like you've got a problem there.  My wife could care less how much time I spend in the hanger or flying for that matter, unless it's on Sunday mornings.  That's God's time and I agree with her there.  (Gee, is that all the time I'm giving him???)

Okay Robert, let's see who finishes first.  Me and my Cub or you and the Pitts. :)

wayne d 12-29-2012 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Robert
Where do you buy this.