RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Andy Sheber Pitts s1s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11328170-andy-sheber-pitts-s1s.html)

john josey 01-13-2013 03:04 PM

RE: Andy Sheber Pitts s1s

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

Is this the only way to make pinked tape? With a triangle file.?:(
I've alway's used a piece of covering cut with pinking scissor's, usually solartex or similar.

acerc 01-13-2013 03:06 PM

Good point indeed, now, lets throw in the fact that our cables are not as tight or as supported as the full scale and I think we can agree a little vibration control at the exit is a good idea. Strait one could also use an exacto blade especially if the edge of the plastic is thin.

straitnickel 01-13-2013 03:10 PM

Won't pinking scissors be out of scale?

john josey 01-13-2013 03:16 PM

Won't pinking scissors be out of scale?
They probably are on the big side for true scale, but it gives a fantastic effect.

straitnickel 01-13-2013 03:17 PM

I agree on the exit reasoning, and the pinking is a real attribute to a model, but beyond my abilities

WacoNut 01-13-2013 03:18 PM

Is this the only way to make pinked tape? With a triangle file.?:(
Not to make tapes I am saying if he wanted to use the exit he pictured he could put the sawtooth pattern into the flange which would simulate the look of pinked tape.
BTW: Pinking shears are way too large for model use. I use pinked tapes from Pink-It.net
Anthony

john josey 01-13-2013 03:26 PM

Yoy guy's are are a couple of levels above me when it comes scale detailing. I think this is the difference between sport scale and super scale

acerc 01-13-2013 03:33 PM

Anthony that depend's on which size you buy. I bought a set a Jo-Ann's fabric that works great. Only problem is I will gladly pay for them already cut versus what it takes to cut them.

straitnickel 01-13-2013 03:36 PM

Thanks Anthony, I have Pink-it.net bookmarked

WacoNut 01-13-2013 04:06 PM

I hear ya Robert,
It takes long enough to put the tapes down.

John,
The tapes from Pink-It are cut from Solartex and have a very fine pinked edge. A really nice product but they will bite into your wallet on a big plane. I had over 200ft of tape on my 1/3 Waco. You can imagine trying to cut that much tape with a pair of scissors[X(].
Later!!
Anthony

john josey 01-13-2013 04:20 PM

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

I hear ya Robert,
It takes long enough to put the tapes down.

John,
The tapes from Pink-It are cut from Solartex and have a very fine pinked edge. A really nice product but they will bite into your wallet on a big plane. I had over 200ft of tape on my 1/3 Waco. You can imagine trying to cut that much tape with a pair of scissors[X(].
Later!!
Anthony
Anthony, 200ft ! that's dedication....Respect !

straitnickel 01-13-2013 04:54 PM

I'll second that J.J.

skyboltbuilder 01-13-2013 08:25 PM

For what its worth the square scoop is for the carb on the cowl. I own a full scale S1C with a O360 lycoming and a PS5 bendix pressure carb that looks identical to my cowl. I wouldnt worry about cutting it out, it might be scale depending on the pitts you model. <div>
</div><div>Nick.</div><div>TN.</div>

john josey 01-16-2013 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Robert, finally managed to open the parcel. I dont really know what i was expecting, but i have to say....i'm really impressed, that will look great on the model.

brianrfike 01-16-2013 03:43 PM

Wow! Where did you get that panel Mr. John josey!?

john josey 01-16-2013 04:19 PM

ORIGINAL: brianrfike

Wow! Where did you get that panel Mr. John josey!?
It's about a six week wait.

It came from here - http://www.knzink.de/scale/cockpits.htm The bloke speaks good english. I notice he does one for the s2

straitnickel 01-16-2013 05:27 PM

That panel is top notch!

stuntflyr 01-17-2013 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: skyboltbuilder

For what its worth the square scoop is for the carb on the cowl. I own a full scale S1C with a O360 lycoming and a PS5 bendix pressure carb that looks identical to my cowl. I wouldnt worry about cutting it out, it might be scale depending on the pitts you model.<div></div><div>Nick.</div><div>TN.</div>
Here's what happened to my Brackett air filter.
Chris...

acerc 01-17-2013 07:00 AM

That is one sweet panel John. I hope mine comes out as nice. I ordered one from http://www.iflytailies.com/ and it is suppose to look like the photo I sent him, pic below.
The picture size was not in a way he could enlarge it to read the writing. I told him he did this enough to have a good enough idea of what could be written. So I am real interested in seeing what he came up with.

acerc 01-17-2013 07:02 AM

By the way I am back at work on the Pitts. Had a few things to take care of for a few days. Currently sanding the top wing to shape for the L/E sheeting then I will sheet it.

Cub Flyer Fresno 01-17-2013 08:33 AM

Don't you just hate when life happens?  Speaking of which, I just got caught up here, I got four pages behind.  I'm also back to work on my Cub.  Who's gonna finish first?  LOL!  :)

Looking good Robert, your really making me want to build one.  Got to put this one on my bucket list.

acerc 01-17-2013 11:00 AM

I was getting a lot of sanding done until it started to rain. So now I'm glueing the L/E sheeting in place, got those areas sanded first. Will finish the rest of the sanding tomorrow. I want to mount the wings again after the sanding to get a better fit in regards to incidence between the wings before finishing the struts.

john josey 01-17-2013 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: acerc

That is one sweet panel John. I hope mine comes out as nice. I ordered one from http://www.iflytailies.com/ and it is suppose to look like the photo I sent him, pic below.
The picture size was not in a way he could enlarge it to read the writing. I told him he did this enough to have a good enough idea of what could be written. So I am real interested in seeing what he came up with.
Robert, that's the exact same picture that is on the website that i used ! http://www.knzink.de/scale/bilderseiten/pittss1s-TC.htm

Good to see you back on it.

acerc 01-17-2013 11:23 AM

Oh how wicked is that? Good to be back. Now if I could just find some nice, close up, details shots. Uh-Hmm! 

acerc 01-17-2013 12:31 PM

The top wing is ready for the sanding to be finished. I'm leaving the areas the cabane mount's are at open untill finished with the struts and cabane. That way I can shim the mount's if need be for perfect incidence.