RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Andy Sheber Pitts s1s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11328170-andy-sheber-pitts-s1s.html)

straitnickel 12-19-2012 01:35 PM

RE: Andy Sheber Pitts s1s

If you want you can go to , my models, I have a pic of my pitts challenger where I added 4-40 flying wires.
they are ok, but I've seen nicer wires out there.

WacoNut 12-19-2012 01:41 PM

I used 4-40 rods on my 1/3 Waco and to be honest they were a real pain. I switched to Kev-Cord just before the demise. I will be using the Kev-Cord again after the rebuild. You only have to take one end loose on teardown and make one connection per wire during assembly.

Here is a link for the Kev-Cord and hardware if interested. You will need ends and crimps as well. [link=http://www.acpsales.com/OnlineStore.php?cat=4853]Kev-Cord[/link]
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 12-19-2012 01:45 PM

There are several ways to get a higher grade ($) of flyin wire's. But I can take the 4-40 or pianno wire to the sander or grinder and be perfectly happy with it. </p>

wayne d 12-19-2012 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a couple last night out of picture hanging wire. Just fits in the little hole on a dubro rigging coupler. Really don't like them too much, wire kinks easy.
Went to the fishing store today and found this.

wayne d 12-19-2012 01:50 PM

Didn't think of piano wire.

acerc 12-19-2012 01:55 PM

I have the 4-40 on my Waco and it's been there two years and hasn't budged. The 4-40 is also much easier to shape than the pianno wire. Haven't looked that far ahead, does the pitts have the braided wire type or the ridged solid wire type?

wayne d 12-19-2012 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what its all about.

wayne d 12-19-2012 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: acerc

I have the 4-40 on my Waco and it's been there two years and hasn't budged. The 4-40 is also much easier to shape than the pianno wire. Haven't looked that far ahead, does the pitts have the braided wire type or the ridged solid wire type?

The flying wires on all the ones I have seen are streamlined SS solid.

acerc 12-19-2012 02:12 PM

Cool! There is a place in Germany, I think, that will custom make any type and size. But whoa nelly it's not cheap.

wayne d 12-19-2012 02:28 PM

Cool! There is a place in Germany, I think, that will custom make any type and size. But whoa nelly it's not cheap.
Know about that one but like you said $$$$$$$$

acerc 12-19-2012 02:36 PM

I have the stab and ele layed up, sopping wet of course. I'll give that a while to dry and hold it's shape then I'll remove it and add the glue.

acerc 12-19-2012 03:32 PM

I don't have a piece of aspen big enough to cut the T/L edge from. So I guess I'm done untill I get some in the morning. Don't want to move it untill it's finished or I would work on the gear.

acerc 12-19-2012 05:22 PM

Ohhhhhhhh......... The boredum!!!!!

TFF 12-19-2012 05:56 PM

1/8 Fish tape leader for flying wires. Mc Master- Carr has small strip metal, too.

acerc 12-19-2012 06:55 PM

Anyone know what the full scale flying wires size is?

stuntflyr 12-19-2012 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rs917

ORIGINAL: heavydriver

The sighting device is known as a "Massey sight mast"

Wow, now THAT'S one I've never heard before! Thanks for sharing.
<br type="_moz" />
Only if it's from Massey. Mine was modified from a Dent-Air . We just called it a sighting device, or sight.
Chris...
<br type="_moz" />

stuntflyr 12-19-2012 08:51 PM

Anyone know what the full scale flying wires size is?
I think the wings were 3/8th's. The airplane only weighs a 1000 lbs with gas and guy so they aren't real big. The ones on the tail are tiny. I'll look to make sure.
Chris...

P.S. A quick internet search says 5/16th's could be the sleeve size, or the thread size after it's rolled. I say for the model, halve that for the tail.
<br type="_moz" />

TFF 12-19-2012 09:00 PM

Plans say AN 674 1/4X28 thread listed as .250 diameter, but that is before they are streamlined. I think they are about 5/16 in wide maybe 3/8.

heavydriver 12-19-2012 09:28 PM

Back in the heyday of the S1s and later the S1t ( mid to late 70s) was when the first masts or sights showed up at IAC meets. One of the first builders of the sights was Massey. I'm sure there were others too as well. This was about the same time that Henry Haigh developed his famous tailwheel.In the earlier days of aerobatic competition, most everyone built their own airplanes. These were some of the first commercially available specialty parts. Going to a IAC meet was more of a get together of like minded people. There was a lot of inovation and swapping of ideas among pilots. Kinda of more grass roots EAA fly-in like. Now most everyone is flying high dollar superdooray airplanes that are custom built ($$$$$$) by hired guns and everything is top secret.:(

straitnickel 12-19-2012 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: heavydriver

Back in the heyday of the S1s and later the S1t ( mid to late 70s) was when the first masts or sights showed up at IAC meets. One of the first builders of the sights was Massey. I'm sure there were others too as well. This was about the same time that Henry Haigh developed his famous tailwheel.In the earlier days of aerobatic competition, most everyone built their own airplanes. These were some of the first commercially available specialty parts. Going to a IAC meet was more of a get together of like minded people. There was a lot of inovation and swapping of ideas among pilots. Kinda of more grass roots EAA fly-in like. Now most everyone is flying high dollar superdooray airplanes that are custom built ($$$$$$) by hired guns and everything is top secret.:(
Good going heavy driver.

acerc 12-20-2012 06:28 AM

That's good stuff right there. Kind of like what we do here.
Got the hardwood this morning. The T/L edge is cut and in. Now for the balsa.

acerc 12-20-2012 09:14 AM

Twelve gussets and the stab/elewill bedone.</p>

acerc 12-20-2012 12:27 PM

Now it's starting to look like something.

straitnickel 12-20-2012 12:33 PM

Ace,
How many years have you been building?
You make this look too easy.

acerc 12-20-2012 12:35 PM

30ish.

strait do you still have the oracle? And how long you been building?