RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Albatross at WRAM show (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11419969-albatross-wram-show.html)

F106A 02-22-2013 05:13 PM

Albatross at WRAM show

Does anyone know who built the 1/3rd scale Albatros DVA that's at the WRAM show?

Thanks,
Jon

N11 02-22-2013 06:33 PM

RE: Albatross at WRAM show

Andy Marone from Long Island seen it at the LISkyhawks Over the Front (he`s a member of) event last year Nice Looker ;)

Jim

F106A 02-23-2013 06:17 AM

Thanks for the info.
I've got the same kit and wanted to get some info on his prop drive.
Jon

mcjustis 02-23-2013 07:44 AM

It's from Götz Vogelsang at...
http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/
The prop drives are quite nice. I have one myself going on the Schlundt Flybaby.
Martin

TKFOKKER 02-23-2013 08:15 AM

Any photo's of this Alb. at Wram? Who's kit? Scratch? Info ?
TK

N11 02-23-2013 02:28 PM

It was a kit (not Dave Johnson)I`m heading back to the show tomorrow I get more info I do know if show photos start popping up it will be in them. I did`nt bring the camera today I get some sunday and post em.

Jim

abufletcher 02-23-2013 03:03 PM

I think that was the prototype for the BUSA 1/3 scale Albatros built by the guy who posts here on RCU as "wild bill."

N11 02-23-2013 03:09 PM

Nope was`nt BUSA abu thinking it was from Vogelsang but will find out.

Jim

F106A 02-23-2013 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's a German kit imported by Vogelsang.

F106A 02-23-2013 09:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another pic.
It's made by JW in Germany,
Really nice kit, but a little expensive.
I bought it last summer and going to start it once I finish mg GTM 1/3rd DVII.
He modified the prop drive to bury the engine in the fuse. I'm guessing he made a longer shaft, but not sure.
I e mailed him but haven't heard back yet..

F106A 02-23-2013 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic.

F106A 02-23-2013 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic that I copied from one in his folder showing the engine and prop drive set up.
Like I said, it looks like the main shaft is longer than stock, allowing the engine to be buried in the fuse so the cylinder head is not sticking out of the bottom of the fuse.
He has a small scoop on the bottom left side and the spinner is smaller than scale to allow for cooling.

Teus 02-24-2013 01:05 AM

It look indeed like a Schlundt gear drive but with a lot of modifications, not only the longer prop shaft. He also made a new attachment plate to the engine to create an extra offset of the prop shaft. Original Schlundt attachment plates are from aluminum and not steel, thats why I noticed ;)

N11 02-24-2013 04:59 AM

Thanks Jon for posting the photos and info plus Good Luck when you take on the Alb build! On what I had seen it seems to be a well put together kit.

Jim

F106A 02-24-2013 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I always liked the Albatross and was excited when BALSAUSA announced their kit.
When I saw it at Toledo it just didn't look right, plus I wanted the natural ply fuse, so I bought the JW kit.
It's well engineered and, unlike most European kits, it comes with instructions.
The dummy engine is so so, I'm going to replace it with a GTM engine.
There's no scale extra's like seat, ammo cans ect, you have build them yourself.
When I went to Florida I contacted Kermit Weeks about getting some pictures of his Albatros
That was built by TVAL in New Zealand.
He was kind enough to let me get up close and personal with it.
I've got lots of pictures of various Albatros's but there's nothing like seeing one close up.
Beg,
Jon

valleyk 02-24-2013 03:37 PM

Very nice build. Could you tell me more about the field assembly. What comes apart for transportation. I'm also very much interested in a 1/3 scale albatross. Have you looked at the BUSA kit...its the only one i could afford but I hear it my be as much as a 1000 dollars[:o]

N11 02-24-2013 04:11 PM

Jon you mentioned the Glenn Torrence as a replacement Albatros engine other than the one in the kit did you possibly mean the BUSA?

Jim

BobH 02-24-2013 05:52 PM

Glenn sells/sold a 1/3 Mercedes engine for his 1/3 Fokker DVII. It's a wooden kit that you assemble. I don't know how it compares to the one by Vogelsang. My bud has the GTM DVII plane and engine kit.. Lots of parts to the engine.

WacoNut 02-24-2013 06:04 PM

If you check Glenn's site you will see GTM is no longer going to produce Fokker kits. The only kit he will be producing is the soon to be released 1/3 SE5A. I should have pulled the trigger on the 1/3 DVI when I had the chance.
Later!!
Anthony

F106A 02-24-2013 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The JW engine is very basic, it looks OK at a distance but not much to look at close up, and, since it's one of the main a focal points of the model, I decided to get the engine from Glenn.
I've built one for my 1/3rd DVII and it looks great. The engine is a kit in it's self, there's about 385 pieces to the engine kit. I'll have to modify a few things to make it realistic for the Albatros vs the DVII,
but, to me, it's worth it. Since I'm going to have to make ammo cans, a cockpit, a seat, etc, it's just one more project to do.
I'm also going to do a DV, not a DVa, just to be a little different.
An excellent reference source are the plastic kits from WINGNUT out of New Zealand. Great detail and the pics of the full size are really great. They also have a lot of decals of various color schemes of various WWI aircraft.
The BUSA engine lookks like it's molded, at the least the top end, not sure about how they did the cylinders.
Here's a couple of pics of Kermit Weeks Albatros.
BRG,
Jon

F106A 02-24-2013 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few more.

wings2an3 02-25-2013 11:57 AM

That Albatros took 1st place in WW I catagory.

wildbills21 02-25-2013 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a picture of the BUSA 1/3 scale Mercedes engine, I believe it is available now. Not sure of pricing.

Wild Bill

WacoNut 02-25-2013 05:28 PM

I just checked and Balsa USA has their Albatross kit listed as available now.
The link to the dunny engine is not working.
Anthony