RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Anyone getting fed up with this hobby? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11586492-anyone-getting-fed-up-hobby.html)

vertical grimmace 09-08-2013 02:23 PM

Anyone getting fed up with this hobby?

It seems of late, I am getting kind of fed up with this hobby to some degree. I love building and researching, and flying my creations, But it is my relationships with other flyers, that is getting old. It seems as though I have nothing in common with any of the fellow club members in my club. It is as if nothing really excites them about airplanes anymore. Only the latest and greatest ARF, seems to excite them. I tried to organize a scale fun fly this year in my club, and while I had a lot of help to run it, only about 5 pilots from the club flew! We have 120 members and they voted to have the event. ARF's were allowed, as I ended up waiving any builder of model rule. I guess maybe I just needed to vent. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing these feelings. This hobby has really changed IMO.

tailskid 09-08-2013 02:52 PM

"This hobby has really changed IMO"................couldn't agree more. BUT, it has always been that way :)

Any club contest that produces 10% of club members as entrants is RARE............but the old 10% rule does apply (10% do 90% of the work).....

vertical grimmace 09-08-2013 02:59 PM

Well, It is more than just my event that irritated me. That was just sort of the last straw for me mentally I guess. I honestly prefer, hope, nobody is at the field when I go to fly. Our club is facing some major issues, having been on the board this and previous years. There is nobody even in line to provide any leadership. There is a strong possibility we will not be able to secure a president, which is required for us to maintain our AMA status. I may just seek out a local sod farm, as my warbirds would prefer the grass anyway.

tailskid 09-08-2013 03:14 PM

Bummer.....I know how you feel as I have been 'in' a club in the past but NOT "IN" if you know what I mean. What other major issues are going on there (other than lack of leadership)?

YAT-28E 09-08-2013 03:18 PM

Most newer members do not realize what it takes to keep a club running effectively with 25 members or 125. They were not around in the old days when you built what you flew, appreciated the others craftsmanship and most of all camaraderie. When we would all roll up our sleeves to make that strip of grass the best there is and really care about the club in general. I see that with a lot of the newbies, not all but a large majority. We have some new members that are just geeked to be out there flying, asking questions of the old guard because they want to learn and be better pilots. It seems the situation you have is beginning to be the norm it seems...hang in there

vertical grimmace 09-08-2013 03:31 PM

The big issue we are facing is our runway. It is black top, and when it was laid down originally, no road base was put under it. We have a stipulation in the lease that nothing "permanent" could be placed on the land. Well, road base was deemed to be "permanent". The problem here is, the runway constantly cracks, and needs repair often.

Also, with the arrival of a big Warbird event at our club, were were asked to pay for and add 200' of runway, taking it out to 800'. Well, we have not realized, the revenue to pay for this, and never will most likely, and now we have even more runway to maintain. I do not want to get too long winded about this issue, I just wanted to give some perspective. We are now facing a complete replacement of the runway, which will be extremely expensive with the current price of oil.

So, the answer to the leaders is to just raise club dues. With declining membership. So fewer and fewer, will be paying more and more. It is kind of frustrating here. So that is our big issue. Maybe there are some options. Look for some funding somewhere, or maybe another material like concrete.

RCKen 09-08-2013 04:20 PM

Rich,
How're you doing?? Other than being bummed out on the hobby of course!!!! ;)

Of course you know that I know quite a bit about your club location and the runway you guys have, so I know what challenges you are facing. And having WOR on top of normal club issues really puts a ton of pressure on a club of any size. So I hope you can work it out. Let me try to offer an option that you guys could consider. I know the size of your runway, so I know it's going to cost you a pretty penny to put in a paved runway, or more accurately a few tens of thousands of pennys!!!! :) When we lost your club on Ft. Sill Army Base the land we found to relocate to also told us no permanent structures or improvements on the property. The main reasons why is because the field was a cow pasture and if/when we leave it needs to go back to being a cow pasture, and also any improvements we make would change the taxes the owner pays on the property. So with that, and having almost no money to put down a runway we had to get creative. We wanted a paved runway, but that was out of the question for the reasons I stated. We got very very lucky. A club not too far from us had a permatex runway for their club and they had to so some modifications to the dirt work underneath, so they decided to go ahead and replace the runway material at the same time. Their old runway materials were still very usable and they were just piled in the corner of the property. They told us it was ours if we just come and get it. So that solved our problem. After putting the materials down and having flown on it for 6 years now I can tell you that it's really the best materials to fly off of that I've ever flown on. It's the best of both words, meaning grass and pavement. It's smooth like hard pavement but it's easy on your planes like grass is. The only real downside to the materials is prop strikes will cut it up, but those are easily repaired.

The material we got was 4 years old and we're now on our 6th year of flying off of it. We figure we have another 2-4 years before we will have to replace it. We looked into the costs to replace it and they are very reasonable. Our runway is 465'x 45' and we estimate the material costs to replace the runway are going to be just about $3,000-$4,000. Try paving for anywhere near that. The biggest deal with material is getting the ground work underneath done correctly. But seeing your area and knowing the people in your club I don't think you would have any issues getting the ground underneath prepped!!

Anyway, take a look into it. If you're interested let me know and I'll talk with you about it by PM and not clog up your thread here. If I had druthers I would fly off of this type of runway whenever I could.

Hope this helps

Ken

valleyk 09-08-2013 04:30 PM

Personally I wish they would get rid of the paved runways and grow grass fields. As far as club members are concerned…what’s it in for me is the prevailing attitude. Your just lucky you’re not flying in the northeast when they are in your face when they don’t like you.

Wagon1 09-08-2013 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by valleyk (Post 11611182)
Personally I wish they would get rid of the paved runways and grow grass fields. As far as club members are concerned…what’s it in for me is the prevailing attitude. Your just lucky you’re not flying in the northeast when they are in your face when they don’t like you.

Northeast ???

Lightspeed1551 09-08-2013 04:55 PM

Tell you one thing friend, change can be a good thing. I love flying but I wouldn't be in this hobby if they still had wide band AM radios, magneto engines, and servos with carbon pots.

Tampaflyer 09-08-2013 05:19 PM

your in the same boat as A LOT of clubs out there. When you need to , just take a break.. go fly, have fun.. when your ready try to change it.
Most clubs are not about just flying Airplanes. Some are highly political places. Small dictatorships, and KING of my ANT HILL mentality. some people fly model airplanes that is there hobby. other like controlling others and making rules.. that is there hobby.. don't most of those harldy fly when at the club? Take notice.. nature will take care of those.

Untill the old guard overcomes this, there will be a lot of flyers at the parks. Why do you think they sell so well? Even those of us that have been in a long time have a few.
Why? so i can fly without going to the field :)

GOOD LUCK. enjoy your flying.. don't let othesr take that from you

Good luck.

vertical grimmace 09-08-2013 05:26 PM

We would love to have grass, but that is not possible in CO, as it is just too dry. Water rights are a big issue up here, as there is a lot of farming. Not sure we cold pull that off.

I am not talking about technological changes, I am talking about people, and attitude changes.

We had a second field to the east (Ken would know this as it is where the BBQ truck is at the WBOTR :) , it was done with the Geotex. The problems we had with it were rodents getting under it and chewing holes.

Thanks for asking about me Ken. I just finished a new DR1 triplane to replace the one I crashed a couple of years ago. I am currently moving my airplane shop, and have so much going on with that, I will not even be attending the WBOTR this year.

TFF 09-08-2013 05:32 PM

My club decided to make improvements to the pits. Over done. In the spring when the rains hit, the pits stay muddy for about a month. There was one shelter and 2 covered spots with concrete floor. Now they have gone end to end with concrete. Now we have a concrete dam. Cat wait for spring. We will be able to stand dry and the models will be dry until you try to get to the runway. Iis going to be a lake. Every club I have been in once gone fancy pants, ends up having a schism. I liked my simple grass field. There are other problems too; just makes me mad. All the guys are good guys, but the guys running it think improvements are improvements.

vertical grimmace 09-08-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tampaflyer (Post 11611221)
your in the same boat as A LOT of clubs out there. When you need to , just take a break.. go fly, have fun.. when your ready try to change it.
Most clubs are not about just flying Airplanes. Some are highly political places. Small dictatorships, and KING of my ANT HILL mentality. some people fly model airplanes that is there hobby. other like controlling others and making rules.. that is there hobby.. don't most of those harldy fly when at the club? Take notice.. nature will take care of those.

Untill the old guard overcomes this, there will be a lot of flyers at the parks. Why do you think they sell so well? Even those of us that have been in a long time have a few.
Why? so i can fly without going to the field :)

GOOD LUCK. enjoy your flying.. don't let othesr take that from you

Good luck.

You are so right here. I just need to step back and enjoy my hobby. It seems whenever I get in as an officer, I get disgruntled. Nature will take care of the club, good bad or indifferent. But I will still be building and enjoying my models. Where ever that may be.

RCKen 09-08-2013 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace (Post 11611226)
Thanks for asking about me Ken. I just finished a new DR1 triplane to replace the one I crashed a couple of years ago. I am currently moving my airplane shop, and have so much going on with that, I will not even be attending the WBOTR this year.

RIch,
That's good to hear that you're replacing the DR1. I've started on my own kick of building WWI warbirds. I've got a SR Batteries Eindecker that I'm building and then I have a Balsa USA 1/4 Fokker D-VII. I plan on building both of them to schemes flown by Ernst Udet (who did fly both in the war). I more than likely won't be at Rockies this year either. Dealing with some personal issues right now that take priority. Good luck on your move of your shop, and I hope you get the RC fire back soon.

Ken

Live Wire 09-08-2013 05:47 PM

North East! Well I tell you we are having the same problem here as most clubs. We have a great grass runway, the Lee Miller fun Fly coming up the 21 and no one to put it on and no help. You talk about getting burned out, I started this club and have never seen it in worse shape in 30 years. Know one gets alone and getting some one to do something is impossible not even fly. Try to sell a built up plane and people offer you about 1/4 it's value they will buy a ARF for full price and never bat an eye. Well I don't think things are going to get any better. Just think , you have some of the guy's that used to be here up there.
Larry K

vertical grimmace 09-08-2013 05:58 PM

Well Larry, I have spent a lot of time at your field, and I always had a wonderful time. In fact, I am going to try to make your fun-fly. I flew at almost all of the combat meets you had back in the late 90's. Your grass would be very welcome for my new DR1.

valleyk 09-08-2013 06:19 PM

Rich you really put on a nice fun fly event. Sometimes you just don’t get the recognition you deserve. I think of this hobby as more like a charity. It’s a sacrifice to organize and some people love it and others find it thankless. I personally had my worst rc event in my life today. I totaled my best friend’s plane when he let me fly it. I told him I’d buy him a new one whatever the cost and hope I don’t lose him as a friend.

vertical grimmace 09-08-2013 06:33 PM

Thanks Tom. I was just disapointed with the club entries.

Sorry about your day today. I have crashed other peoples planes. I do a lot of maiden flights for people. I have only put one in that was my fault though.

I think what seems to bother me most is the "toy out of the box" feeling I get with most of the planes at the field. It also seems like many are turned off by models that are really built. Like that is so out of their reach, it offends them. And so many pilots really need to get back on their trainers and learn how to land! And fly a right hand approach! I think our club has the most "left hand Charlies" I have ever been around. I actually had a guy wanting to see if everyone could fly their landing approach over the pit area, since there were "only a few of us" at the field! And blaming bad bouncy landings on the landing gear, when the plane is not close to stalled properly! OK, seriously venting now! lol Sorry

Live Wire 09-08-2013 06:36 PM

Well I am going to try and help! come on down Fun and Food the 21'st. Rain date the 22 so we will be there 2 day's depending on the weather, Sunday flying and clean up

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace (Post 11611249)
Well Larry, I have spent a lot of time at your field, and I always had a wonderful time. In fact, I am going to try to make your fun-fly. I flew at almost all of the combat meets you had back in the late 90's. Your grass would be very welcome for my new DR1.

Maximilionalpha 09-08-2013 06:53 PM

If you're that fed up about it and if you have scale sailplanes, I'll take them off your hands for pennies on the dollar! :) And I'm very serious, also! :D

vertical grimmace 09-08-2013 07:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Maximilionalpha (Post 11611288)
If you're that fed up about it and if you have scale sailplanes, I'll take them off your hands for pennies on the dollar! :) And I'm very serious, also! :D

I am not even close to getting out of the hobby. Just maybe the club. I am in the middle of a project that has taken me 2 years to get where I am, It is going to see it's completion. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1918194http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1918195http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1918196

Live Wire 09-08-2013 07:10 PM

20 planes and not a sailor in the bunch. Have a Bob Dively Christen Eagle needs needs a home , local pick up no graphics decent offer!

WALKERS210-RCU 09-08-2013 08:07 PM

I had left the hobby back in the 70's, started back again around 2000. First club I joined was super organized and had a membership over 125 each year. Only issue was several of their senior members had an view of "HE MAN SHE HATERS CLUB". One in fact openly stated one day that wife's and girl friends had no place there as it was a way for the MEN to escape day to day stress. I joined a smaller club that at first started off to be just what anyone would love to be part of. Runway over 600ft long 100 ft wide, super great people with exception of one or two. I was elected President because I missed a club meeting one night, but I accepted and did everything in my power to insure a good club and field. Time passed and due to health issues I had to take time away, and while I was out there was one or two newer members that made every effort to do away with anything that had rules. I wound up going to the field one last time and retrieved any tools or things I had left for the use of members and went home. Now the club is still there but I have not seen a single person at the field for over a year, and at its peak we almost needed an air controller due to the number of people on Sunday. In the beginning families would bring picnick lunchs, pop up canopies, drinks and everyone had a great time. But again to what happened to a great place went to pot because two or three didn't want to join the AMA or respect simple No Fly Zones. Now when I fly I just go in my back yard and enjoy the hobby with my grandson and maybe one of my dogs.

SunDevilPilot 09-08-2013 08:18 PM

Always remember, RC Airplanes are 90% social 10% flying. I love building, and so do quite a number of my flying buddies, so it is still easy to talk with them about out latest projects for hours on end. Take that away and a conversation about the latest ARF could be quite short. Maybe organize an event by a topic, like Cubs Over Whatever (Who doesn't like a Cub?) . Or a Dawn Patrol etc. something were everyone is comfortable and enjoys the topic of the event.

An ARF still feels out of place at a scale meet but it may fit right in at something like a Cub fly-in or dawn patrol.

Just food for thought,

SunDevilPilot