RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   90" wingspan 1/14 scale Boeing B-17 bomber RC airplane kit by Scale Aerospace #183518 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/11663354-90-wingspan-1-14-scale-boeing-b-17-bomber-rc-airplane-kit-scale-aerospace-183518-a.html)

PREDHEAD 04-12-2019 06:50 AM

90" wingspan 1/14 scale Boeing B-17 bomber RC airplane kit by Scale Aerospace #183518

I bought a short kit from eBay!

90" wingspan 1/14 scale Boeing B-17 bomber RC airplane kit by Scale Aerospace #183518174055

This has been a long process waiting for responses from Scale Aerospace. I don't have any plastic parts for plane turrets, nose, windows, cowls. I need help with build issues, It's going to be electric with retracts and half flaps and removable hatch for batteries and access to electronics.detachable wings is a must. Any help is appreciated. Dave in TN

bchapman 04-12-2019 01:20 PM

Have not heard of that brand of kit, but I see some different offerings on E-bay. Most likely you'll have to make the plastic parts for something like this yourself. I would check with a company called Fiberglass Specialties and see if they make any of the cowls, blisters, windows, ect for it.

If it were my build I'd probably go with some small 4-stroke engines for something that size. I'm not a big fan of the electrics, so don't let that discourage you from going that route, it's just my personal preference and experience.

Update: Checked Fiberglass Specialties and they didn't list anything. Looks to me like it must be a small newer company. Looks like a guy on RC Groups has a B-17 that looks almost complete. Not sure if that's who's selling them or not. Looks like cowls to be available soon.

This is the information posted:

"This is a newly produced 90" wingspan kit of the Boeing B-17 bomber that is larger and more true-to-scale than the Royal kit. It is twice as large as the Guillows kit. Includes all laser-cut parts and vacuum-formed plastic parts and full-size plans. Engine cowls are 4.3 inches in diameter, so you can decide on your engines/motors. Retractable landing gear can be obtained from Robart. The 551RS 85 degree retracts are recommended. You will only use 68 degrees of retraction, so you have to block the strut from going the additional 17 degrees, or you can use the 551RSE electric retracts, which are apparently adjustable on the degrees of rotation. Full fiberglass engine nacelles are being developed (available in early to mid March) with molded in turbochargers. The wings are detachable separately, left and right. Recommended electric motors are Eflite Power 32 or equivalent. Glow engines: .30 to .40."

Looks like a nice airplane, keep me posted and let me know if I can help with anything. Good luck on the build.

PREDHEAD 04-13-2019 04:46 AM

Thanks for all the great information it will be very useful

PREDHEAD 04-21-2019 08:39 AM

Thanks for your help

novajets 04-28-2019 01:00 PM

I'm interested in following the progress on this. Good luck!

PREDHEAD 01-11-2020 08:14 AM

Spoiler

damonwill 01-28-2020 06:47 PM

Following...

FlyerInOKC 01-29-2020 08:53 AM

Oh please post some pictures!