RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   BUSA Fokker DVII (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/2000306-busa-fokker-dvii.html)

Bruno Stachel 07-17-2004 10:33 PM

BUSA Fokker DVII

Anyone building or flying this plane? I'd like to hear your comments and tips.

p51f4f 08-05-2004 05:01 PM

RE: BUSA Fokker DVII

Just started to build the Balsa USA D-VII. I have built the Dr-1 and D-VIII and love them. A very large box of wood. I have had since the first week of release and just found the time to start. What color scheme are u planing on using and what is the plns for a power system. I will be using a G-26 for power and using the Ernst Udet color scheme. But this might change.

Les

mikeh 08-05-2004 09:25 PM

I have built the plane and am begining to cover it. I am using the Glen Torence fabric and have also installed his cockpit. I am using a Zenoah G38 for power. So far all goes well. Would love to hear from someone who has flow it.

p51f4f 08-06-2004 08:15 AM

I have also bought some GTM fabric to cover the wings in and use solar tex for the fuse and paint it. The plane builds just like the Dr-1
but a nice thick airfoil.

Les

mikeh 08-06-2004 09:45 AM

Have you applyed this fabric before? Thew cord of the wing is greater then the width of the fabric so the fabric cannot be stretched along the wing lengthwise. It will have to be layed out across the wing which will result in a seam every 16". I also purchased rib strips which should cover up the seams if the seams line up on the ribs. Have you tryed to paint this fabric? What kind of paint did you use. My color skeam will have the cowl area painted a lavender color with some lavender stripes on the fabric. I think the covering will take longer then the building.

stall 08-06-2004 11:00 AM

Glad to see this post get started.

I'm finishing a D8 with the GTM fabric on the fuse and I'm seriously looking at doing a D7 with GTM fabric again.

On my D8, the fuse is fabric and doped and I used dope colors for the crosses. On the wing, I used Nelson's paint. I did quite a few test samples and found that Nelson's paint does not stick to dope if you do the recommended 2 coats of nitrate and 5 coats of buterate. I also tested using 2 coats of buterate then using Nelson's, but then the fabric sags. I have talked with someone who has used GTM fabric with Nelson's on a D7 wing, but you have to wet the fabric with the Nelson clear, then pull it taught with your hands till it dries. That sounded like a pain to me, so I did not even try that.

Has anyone used a polyurethane over dope before? If so, what brand.

Jack

p51f4f 08-06-2004 11:18 AM

On the fabric, discuss it with Glen Torrance at GTM, he is more than helpful in these matters and does not mind answering any question in reference to this. I have not yet started to cover my plane and have not sized up the covering. With 16 in seams, rib tape would be the way to go even for the scale apperance. I am in the process of stripping my D-VIII and using the GTM fabric on the fuse.

Les

stall 08-06-2004 02:55 PM

Les,

You said you were going to use the Ernst Udet color scheme. From what I have read, noone is 100% sure if the candy stripe of his plane was red and white or black and white. Which one did you pick?

I was looking at the green/tan streak look on the fuse like Friedrich Friedrichs and the lazenze on the wings with rib strips.

Which paint are you looking at using?

Jack

Bruno Stachel 08-06-2004 10:03 PM

I'm not sure how I want to do one yet. I was thinking of dressing one as one of JG II's Blue Birds. Maybe Georg von Hantelmann's or Gustav Klaudat's - Death's Head and Lance emblems respectively. I've also considered one of Udet's or possibly a Goering ship.

I hope to get started on one this winter. I will probably power it with a G26.

Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully we'll start seeing more reports on this one. looks like a good one.

deljon 08-08-2004 04:59 AM

I vote for the Udet scheme with the Red candy stripes. I have an 80 inch DV11 that I got at an auction that I'm going to repaint in the Udet scheme.

Del Johnson

p51f4f 08-09-2004 09:03 AM

On color schemes, there is a RC model wed site, www.seabees.com that has some great color schemes and ideas that you can use on a Fokker D-VII.

http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?q=fokker...%2Ehtml&adurl=

Go to the manuels section and look for the Fokker D-VII

This will take you to a link and click on PDF down load, You must be able to view a pdf file or it will not work. You can even print this out. It has sveral different color schemes and a way to make a bungee landing gear system real easy if you would like to go this route.
I have several books on the D-VII that show a wide varity also, might be able to scan and burn a cd if anyone is interested.

Les

fwman1 08-22-2004 10:45 PM

Can anyone post some progress and pictures on their BUSA DVII?
Thanks.

Yes, technically that is a BUMP! :D

p51f4f 10-27-2004 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Due to my work load, I have not progressed as far as I would have liked to. I have framed up the fuse and at the moment, I am installing a full cockpit from GTM.
I am also looking into building scale and functional landing. I will post some pics of the cockpit detail in a few days.

Les

p51f4f 10-28-2004 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here is part of the cockpit detail. The rudder pedal detail and control column and seat detail. I am working on the instrument panel and switchs. All control functions will be connected to servos and move with flight control functions.

Les

fwman1 10-28-2004 07:18 PM

Thanks for the updates. I am enjoying the progress.
Roger

papermache 10-29-2004 05:50 AM

stall,
The controversy over "red or black" on the Udet color scheme seems to be never ending and is consistently being rehashed by people who have little better to do.
Photographic evidence is inconclusive and all in black-and-white. When red is photographed in B&W it turns out black anyway. As I remember from my reading, this particular aircraft was shot down, so there is no extant physical evidence. Eyewitnesses would be closing in on being centenarians, even if they were children at the time.
Bottom line: If you're doing this scheme, use either color. Nobody can prove you wrong.

papermache

p51f4f 11-05-2004 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
True about the controversy over "red or black" on the Udet color scheme. When red is photographed in B&W it turns out black anyway
Photographic evidence is inconclusive and all in black-and-white. But you can always base on a museum example weither correct or not. Below are a few pics of one in Texas on Udet color
scheme which is base on the red scheme of Jasta 4 with the black Nose.

MajorTomski 11-05-2004 11:20 AM

May I suggest the Albatross Publications Datafiles Fokker D-VII anthologies. Lots of photos and profiles by squadron.

Little pricy but worth it.

Tom

p51f4f 11-05-2004 12:07 PM

I already have them and they discuss the B&W photos and colors but one shows red & white candy stripes where the other shows B&W stripes. Again depends on personel pref.

les

martys40s 01-24-2005 07:22 PM

I am building an Arizona 1/4 scale Fokker D VII. I plan on covering it with Solartex. How much would I need in square feet or rolls. I also plan on painting the Solartex. Do I need to prime the fabric first. What is the best type of paint to use? Any tips or tricks using this covering? THANKS

Highflyer2 01-25-2005 11:04 AM

Didn't you have this thread in the Warbird section? Maybe the two can be linked together

Bruno Stachel 01-25-2005 12:26 PM

Yes, after a couple of days, I didn't get any replies. I thought I might have more luck here in the Scale forum. I guess I should have asked the moderator for help. Sorry guys.[sm=redface.gif]

But thanks for the replies so far everyone. Looks like people are starting to buy and build this kit. I'm afraid I chickened out on it for now. I'm not sure I'm ready for a 1/4 kit yet. I did just receive a Flair DVII kit last week, that I'm looking forward to starting. But I'm becoming a DVII fanatic. And the BUSA kit will be looming on the horizon for me. So please keep posting.

CliffordH 01-25-2005 01:15 PM

Brumo,

You might think of getting the DVIII kit and doing it first. I had both and the DVIII is easier and not just because it has only one wing. Gave the DVIII to my brother and he agrees it is fairly easy. He is covering it now.

Bruno Stachel 01-25-2005 01:36 PM

Thanks Clifford. My main concern has been my current lack of space for building and storing such a large plane. I'm also a little hesitant to go to gas engines. Although, I guess I could find an appropriate glow engine for the DVII. But the DVIII is high on my candidate list.

deljon 01-25-2005 03:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
About a 150 or 180 four stroke should be fine, I'm planning on a Saito 180 for a 1/4 scale DVII that I bought at auction.

Del Johnson