RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Building a Bonanza (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/348045-building-bonanza.html)

mschneider2005 08-17-2012 06:24 AM

RE: Building a Bonanza

1 Attachment(s)
Ron,
Thank for the camera work at Joe Nall last year. I'm glad to see you worked out the problem with your Bonanza. It still looks fantastic!

rgaynor 08-17-2012 06:41 AM

Thanks much - are you going to Joel Nall electric fly in this September?

rgaynor 09-25-2012 01:21 PM

Hey mschneider2005,
Are you going to Joe Nall E-week? I am heading down this Friday and planning to bring my V-tail Bonanza and my G58 Baron. Hope to see you there with your fleet.
Ron

mschneider2005 09-25-2012 02:10 PM

Hi Ron,

No, I wasn't planning to go there this weekend. I don't have much for electric airplanes except a HABU EDF jet and an RV-4 ARF. It's embarrassing... Yes I do own an ARF. I'm planning to spent most of the weekend n the shop working on my latest creation.

Have fun with your Bonanza.

Mike

rgaynor 09-25-2012 04:16 PM

Can't wait to see your next project! - See you at Nall in May

ALO 111 11-18-2012 06:14 AM

Guys please forgive me for not reading all the posts right now ( i will definately do when i start my build)
I was just wondering what where the findings regarding engine sizes ? What worked best ?

1UGLYPUG 11-18-2012 06:41 AM

If you should want to go with an electric, and save cutting the cowl and other nasty things like oil and clean ups after flying, I installed an E flite power 110 and love it! Has lots of power and with 5800 mah flite packs, I can get to close to 10 min flying time easily. After our president (spit) got re elected, I guess electric is the way to go green,,,,,

rgaynor 11-18-2012 08:11 AM

I added a lot of scale detail on my build which pushed the planes weight to 21 lbs. That forced me to use an Eflite Power 160 on a 10S setup. Because of clearance , orntherenlack of, I put a 3 bladed prop on mine. I get aboutn8 minutes of flying.

Stargazer57 01-02-2013 08:07 PM

OK, I have finally found the Top-Flite Bonanza kit and I am almost complete on collecting the basic build components (Retracts, Servos, Light Kit, Fiberglass cowl/cabin/tail cone, etc.). I hope to start the build in the next couple weeks. I am new to the hobby although I have experience in detailed hobby building of ships and rubber powered airplanes. My goal is to copy my late father's bonanza in great detail (down to the control surface corrugations and rivets). I hope there are still some of you checking out this thread so I can get tips and comments as I intend on posting build photos as I go. I have yet to select an engine, although I am leaning to a 4 stroke for the better sound. Possibly the Saito 100T if it will fit. Any comments or suggestions?

rgaynor 01-02-2013 08:25 PM

Hi Stargazer57 - glad to hear there are still TF Bonanza kits to be found. My suggestion is to read this entire thread as you will find some very helpful information about the build. I will tell you upfront that the incidence on the Vtail is off. You can either correct it in the build or just plan to program some down in your elevators. Good luck with the build

V35BFLYER 01-02-2013 08:58 PM

Hi Stargazer57,

Yup, Ron's right. You should read this whole thread. Mine too: RT Aerospace 1/5th T-34C Build, starting about page 5. If you're going to do the corrugations, practice on some balsa first. Practice a LOT! I used my Dremel with a small router bit but first outline everything and use a straighedge. Take your time! Oh, and did I mention to PRACTICE first!

Also, what model Bonanza did your Dad own? I've owned three, a Debonair and two V35Bs.

And post lots of pictures so the rest of us can follow along and remember how the "pain" feels. Been awhile (almost 2 years) since I finished my T34C (and no Ron, I haven't flown it yet) but I'm currently working on rebuilding a quarter scale gas project that should be done in the next three weeks. And I will post pictures of it when I'm done and tell you all the "rest-of-the-story."

Later

teamscalepilot 01-03-2013 04:01 AM

OS.91 has been a good to me on they aircraft it has that high pitch takeoff sound you would when the hartsell is in flat pitch.
Built the bonanza, T-34 B-55 Baron and Piper arrow...

rgaynor 01-03-2013 05:55 AM

LOL - I was just about to ask the question. Since completing my V-Tail, I have finished a 81" wing span Beach Baron and the 85" Top Flight Cessna 310. I have flown the Baron several times and it flies like it is on rails. Maiden the 310 last week and was surprised that no trim was needed during flight...YES! That twin flies amazing well. Can't wait to see pictures of the 1/4 scale - you will need to post what the project is...you know that right?

teamscalepilot 01-03-2013 07:55 AM

didn't you buy one of our Barron 55's?

Stargazer57 01-03-2013 08:48 AM

Thanks all. Glad to see you are all still here. I have already read through the entire thread which has been a great inspiration. Ron, your work has been amazing and I'm sure I will be crediting you for many of the enhancements I incorporate into my build. As for the corrugations, I will definitely practice, practice. practice... I was planning on a similar technique of utilizing a "router" method with some type of jig.

My father has owned several V35's. He absolutely loved that model. I will post some pics of his last one as soon as I dig them out of the pictures box. And have no fear, I will also post progress photos of the build through completion. I'm looking forward to (and counting on) everyones input, comments and support.

Thanks All!

Bill

P.S. Warren from Illinois. I hope you are a member and able to follow the build. Thanks again for selling me the kit.

rgaynor 01-03-2013 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought the unpainted version and put on my own paint scheme. Here are a few pics

rgaynor 01-03-2013 09:16 AM

It is a fun build and I go a lot of good ideas reviewing Kim's (V35Bflyer) Mentor build thread. He is a true build master! Looking forward to seeing you future pics.
Ron

V35BFLYER 01-03-2013 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: rgaynor

I bought the unpainted version and put on my own paint scheme. Here are a few pics
Ron,

Outstanding model 58 Baron!!! Gorgeous plane. Did you do a build thread I can look at? If not, email me the details.

Also, Stargazer57, might I make a suggestion......start a new build thread for your project. That way, you will get many more of us following it (subscribing) as opposed to camping onto this build. Mostly, you're only going to get the guys who've already "subscribed" to Ron's build who'll see you doing yours. Just a thought.
And best of luck with the new project! I've been a die-hard Bonanza guy for almost 30 years. Wouldn't own or buy any other brand.

Kim

gibb 01-03-2013 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, Please take some time and read the thread on the tail incidence changes. It is the one thing that changes the behaviour of this plane from bad to good. Many have tried to compensate with the CG balance.
I have an OS 120 and at 14-15 lbs, it is OK. I'd suggest going with the newer os 155 if you intend to add detail. However, the elecric option could be good as well. .
I still fly my bonanza, but may take her out of service this year and clean er up a bit.
FYI- The v-tail feels very sluggish compared to the T-Tail.

glasscock 02-27-2013 01:48 PM

Way to go Ron for representing us Bonanza builders in this month's AMA magazine coverage of the Triple Tree electric fly-in. Two photos even!

rgaynor 02-27-2013 02:43 PM

Thanks so much glasscock. That was a fun event and one that I plan to do again this year. Would be nice to your Vtail out there as well

glasscock 02-27-2013 06:15 PM

Not sure if my two OS 120 powered Bonanzas would pass the "electric" only qualifications. There is a lot of electric stuff crammed into them though, but nitro fuel is the power, not Lipo. Gotta love the sound of a four-stroke on a low pass. Until electric can mimic that sound, I will stick to nitro. Oh, and the smell. If you smell electrics, something is seriously wrong.

See you at the next Joe Nall in May.

Dave

rgaynor 02-27-2013 06:29 PM

I forgot that you are all nitro. In that case, I will see you at Joe Nall.

1UGLYPUG 02-28-2013 09:02 PM

I love how all the people talk about the sound of a nitro coming down the runway,,,, I kind of dislike the sound of weed whackers around the runway when I am flying. It destroys the nice quiet sound of the morning, when I like to fly. I get to the field before the weed whackers are allowed to fire up and make a lot of noise, because the neighbors don't like it either.... Until a weed whacker starts to sound like a Merlin, Pratt and Whitney, or continental, or Lycoming, I will stick to my nice humming electric, with the prop ripping through the air. You should hear my electric corsair ripping down the runway,, the sound echoes off the buildings and really gets everyone's attention,,, and no weed whacker sounds!! And, for those that like to hear some real aircraft engines, they do make sound systems that actually sound like a REAL aircraft engine,,, not a weed whacker!! Now, I could get used to that,,, but, weed whackers sounding good??? and gotta love cleaning up all that grease.... and how it causes the mono coat to peal away from the plane,,,, good stuff,,, NOT !!!!!

glasscock 03-01-2013 07:41 AM

I was referring to a 1/3 throttled slow pass with a 4-stroke engine, not a screaming 2 stroke. Does not sound anything like a "weed wacker"...