RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Grumman Wildcat F4F-3 1/5 scale (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/354466-grumman-wildcat-f4f-3-1-5-scale.html)

carlbecker 08-26-2003 11:46 AM

Grumman Wildcat F4F-3 1/5 scale

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the new Robart gear mounted on the Classic glass fuse.

Carl

carlbecker 08-26-2003 11:48 AM

Grumman Wildcat F4F-3 1/5 scale

1 Attachment(s)
a little larger

BobH 08-26-2003 12:53 PM

Wildcat

Carl, that gear really looks nice.. seems to be a simpler drive train (the air cylinder) over a mechanical motor.. BobH.

k_sonn 12-16-2003 12:00 PM

RE: <span class=

Carl:

Any updates on the Bates Wildcat construction?

carlbecker 12-16-2003 12:17 PM

K_sonn,
I am just about finished with the basic wing construction. Made the hinges for flaps and ailerons. I will start setting up linkage for these controls now. I posted some pics awhile back on a new thread. This is not a Bates Wildcat though; I found an old Classic Glass 1/5 semi kit and am using the Bates for reference. I do intend to build the Bates later. I will take some more pictures (outside) shortly when the weather is a little nicer. I am going to use a O&G bust pilot from Ziroli. My biggest concern is the fuel tank will be behind the CG so I guess I fill it and then adjust the CG accordingly - how nose heavy when empty I don't know, hope I have enough elevator travel/authorty. The exhaust for the Saito 450 is another challenge, 2/3 ring with pitts style outlet at the bottom.

Carl

carlbecker 12-23-2003 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am close to getting the ailerons and flaps finished.

carlbecker 01-07-2004 09:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
With tail wheel and horizontal stab. Working on the elevators currently.

FliteMetal 01-07-2004 11:15 AM

Hi Carl:

Its looking really great! I do have a question... What necessitated the fuselage filling which appears at about the CG point on the wing?

carlbecker 01-07-2004 11:43 AM

Ed,
The Fuselage came in four pieces. The main stopped at the point where the landing gear are attached. I used a permenant method for attaching the next section which has the engine firewall. There is a large access panel underneath and finally the cowl. I'm pretty excited about flying it in the spring. Still lots to be done though. Making all the hinges to be some what scale.

Carl

FliteMetal 01-07-2004 12:15 PM

It would be nice to see your project at this year's AMA NATs in July.

carlbecker 01-07-2004 12:46 PM

The Wildcat is sport scale. No panel lines or rivets and just a pilot in the cockpit. Still I will be very pleased to get it airborne. Some day I would like to attend Warbirds over Delaware and Joe Nall. The Nats are probably out of my scope. I just received a tape of Joe Nall 2003 with Bob Walker/Bob Patton's huge Wildcat, that is truly incredible!

FliteMetal 01-07-2004 01:13 PM

Panel lines, rivets and cosmetic duplication of a three view are minor issues considering there is no cockpit requirement in any AMA sancitoned scale contest class other than designer scale (515).

Your 511 Sportsman Sport Scale model should do well competing with modelers of your same piloting and building skill level. Because competitors in 511 Sportsman Sport Scale are not permitted to stay in 511 Sportsman Sport Scale after displacing 30 modelers in competition, you will be with peer level building and piloting skill competitors. All of your on the same pages so to speak.

Cockpits are for the enjoyment of spectators and satisfaction of the builder "only". The cosmetic application of panel lines is relative to replication of photos taken of the full size aircraft from a "typical distance of 40 to 50 feet away". At that distance the typical panel lines observed are those on the top 1/3 of an airframe, top/bottom of wing/horiz stab and leading edge of the wing .

Cursory panel line drawing with a straight edge and fine point Sharpie provide all the panel line detail required to satisfy the requirements to replicate a three view. I assume you plan to at least draw panel lines onto the surface of this model. It will take two days to complete on the typical 1/5 scale WWII model.

If you need three view documentation...I would be glad to provide you with excellent three views from which to work and use in competition.

You are encouraged to complete your project and compete in the latest offering of NASA's Scale Road Show.
http://www.scaleaero.com/scaleaero/nasa_smllogo2.gif
Beginning this month (January) and running through November 2004 NASA's Scale Road Show is conducting the National Scale Championship Rally. Modelers from all across the US are competing for the title of National Scale Champion in each of the five NASA/AMA scale competition classes.
http://www.scaleaero.com/_derived/na...ackground3.gif
For details on the National Scale Championship Rally click here: http://www.scaleaero.com/nasa_scale_rally.htm
http://www.scaleaero.com/scaleaero/nasa_smllogo2.gif
Click here: http://www.scaleaero.com/nasardsho2.htm to view the presenters and seminar topics at the 2004 Weak Signals Toledo Show. We look forward to meeting everyone interested in flying scale modeling... The 2004 topics cover a broad range from building / detailing scratch building to seminars on piloting skills for competitive scale modeling.

Spychalla Aircraft 01-10-2004 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: carlbecker

I just received a tape of Joe Nall 2003 with Bob Walker/Bob Patton's huge Wildcat, that is truly incredible!
Carl, Regrettably that huge Wildcat is gone. Late last summer it piled-in down in Indiana. Total loss. The reciever antenna was mistakenly installed back into the airplane in a wound-up condition. They lost radio contact and it was all over. Everybody involved is very sad.

carlbecker 01-12-2004 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Working on the elevators and linkage. Kelvin Cubbison at [email protected] made this muffler for me. Will post picture of it mounted later

carlbecker 01-16-2004 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
sorting out the elevators now.

FalconWings10 01-20-2004 12:54 PM

As soon as I get back from Iraq, I'm going to start the Bates Wildcat. Answer this: How do you guys get into the inside? Is there an access panel or some other way of accessing the servos, receiver and other components?

carlbecker 01-20-2004 01:05 PM

This one is not the Bate's Wildcat but a fiberglass fuse (its the same scale 1/5 and I am using the Bates plans for reference). I have a large opening under the wing for access. I have the Bate's plans but have not looked for an access panel. I hope you get back soon to start your Cat.

Carl

FalconWings10 01-20-2004 02:58 PM

Thanks Carl. What do you think of your Robarts? That's what I'm leaning towards. They worth the money?

k_sonn 01-20-2004 03:07 PM

FalconWings10:

I have the Bates plans and the laser cut semi kit from Holman. I talked to Bates about the retracts offered by Robart and Century. He said he could not recommend one over the other but the Robarts were more scale. The Robart tailwheel does not retract and the Century one does. I have looked at all of the pictures I can find of Wildcats in flight and I have yet to see a retracted tail wheel. I plan on going with the Robarts when I build mine.

Kirk

carlbecker 01-20-2004 04:43 PM

I bought the Robart because of scaleness. Looks pretty beefy. Of the eight books on wildcats I have I don't recall the tail wheel retracting. I'm positive the F4F-3 and F4F-4 did not retract. FM-2 ??
The gear is a little stiff and I polished up some joints. At 125 psi using the large tank it works. I will cycle them more the closer I get to flying time. I will do a pure Bates down the road.

FalconWings10 01-20-2004 06:27 PM

RE: Grumman Wildcat F4F-3 1/5 scale

Do you guys think that going with the Bates semi kit is better than buying a complete cut kit from someone like Precision Kit Cutters or another?

Dave G 01-20-2004 07:47 PM

Carl, Nice progress on your Wildcat. Keep those update pictures coming!

There's nothing better than a round engine Grumman! ;-)

carlbecker 01-21-2004 08:23 AM

The main reason I buy the semi kit is the savings in time cutting out the pieces. I have a small scale to enable picking out light balsa from LHS. I aim for 10 grams for a 1/16x3x36 inch sheet of balsa. If the model is short coupled at the nose it is to easy to build a tail heavy plane. A guy building the 1/5 Bates Buffalo came out at 27 pounds but had to add 7 pounds of nose weight to balance it. Every gram lighter in the tail helps!!

I decided to use a larger servo for the elevators, one Hitec digital 5735MG. I will do some other things waiting for the servo. April is fast approaching and I want to attend Warplanes of Delaware with a well tested Wildcat.

Carl

carlbecker 01-22-2004 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
FalconWings10
This is the access panel I have. I would assume something like this for the Bates plans. Also here is the tail wheel assembly installed.
Carl

rkinman 01-22-2004 08:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sure have enjoyed reading this link about the Wildcat. My favorite "little" warbird. I've been watching Howard Pardue fly his since 1982 and never get tired of watching it fly. He used to bring it up to a private airport when we had hamburger feeds. He keeps it along with his stable of warbirds about 75 miles south of my location. As for the tailwheel...his does not retract and it's an FM-2. Not aware that any of them did. Also know a fella that flew them just before they sent him to the Pacific to fly Hellcats and he said that it was fun to fly, but the narrow mains did present "interesting" problems. He admitted that he ground looped one! The Bates plan sounds like a winner and I'd love to build it. This picture of Howard's was taken in 1998.