RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Glenn Torrence (GTM) 1/3 Scale Dr.1 Build Along (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/4399390-glenn-torrence-gtm-1-3-scale-dr-1-build-along.html)

Canuck1 10-23-2011 04:25 PM

RE: Glenn Torrence (GTM) 1/3 Scale Dr.1 Build Along

1 Attachment(s)
Some more progress on the DR1
Turtle deck is on, aluminum forward cockpit pieces are added. Did some work on the ammo box, more work is needed before it is finished.
Horizontal stab is covered, and the strut supports are in place.
Mounted the engine, turned out pretty good, nice fit with the cowl in place and secured.
I am trying to get most of the fuselage stuff done before I proceed with the mid and upper wings.

A few pictures.

Craig

abufletcher 10-23-2011 04:29 PM

Very impressive work!

deljon 10-23-2011 06:33 PM

Looks real good Craig, good clean build.
Can you get a little shorter shaft extention, clearance from the back ot the prop to the
face of the cowl should be about 1/4"..........:)

Del

Canuck1 10-23-2011 06:46 PM

Glenn

Yes I can get a shorter extension. The one on there I believe is 2 inches or so.
I also can reduce the shim size behind the engine. Cannot go too far back as the front landing gear mounting block will interfer with the engine head. I am happy I got the engine and cowl well situated. I can fine tune the adjustments when the build is complete.
Spent the evening glassing the firewall area to include the sides. Just put on a second smooth coat over the glass.Should paint up nice and clean when finished.
I hope to start on the mid and top wing in a few weeks.

Craig

PS...........Your thread has been a big help.

One question for you......................what is the distance between the top wing and the mid wing? Nothing is mentioned in the plans that I can see, so I imagine it is the same distance as the bottom and mid wing?

Canuck1 10-27-2011 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Decided to put the components that I have, all together at this point for a few pictures.
Still need to do the rudder, it is built, need to redo one hinge then I can cover.

I will proceed with the mid and top wings next, so I can get more progress completed.

Yikkes..................my eyes are not that blood shot :D

Craig

Canuck1 10-29-2011 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted up the horizontal stab.
Had some of the white pull up from where it was masked in the centre section....................I sure hate that when it happens [:@]

A quick spray later and it will be fine.
DR 1 is starting to look good with some colour on it.

Craig

Canuck1 10-30-2011 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well its time to get moving on the two remaining wings. I have been procrastinating long enough on the fuselage :D
I have set up my building board for the mid wing. This worked excellent when I made the bottom wing.
The clamps hold it pretty secure so it remains aligned. Spars are currently being spliced together.

Craig

Canuck1 10-31-2011 08:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Framed up the mid wing this evening.
If you lay the wing over the plans the ribs do not line up perfectly. So using the plywood spar webbing, working from the inside out, I spaced and CA'd the ribs into location.
After they were secured, I went back and glued on the spar webbing. I have not covered the centre section yet, this will be done after the wing is adjusted and mounted.
The other open areas are for my clamps and the strut mounting brackets. These will be covered after I have aligned all three wings to make sure the struts are verticle and inline. The clamping holes will be covered after I have the 1/4 balsa leading edge in place, and there is no requirement to clamp the wing again.
Due to the adjustments made, it left the spars sticking out on the ends. I took this opportunity, with my wing clamped and removed the excess with a hand saw.

I need to frame up the top wing next so the strut mounting brackets can be aligned properly.

Craig

Canuck1 10-31-2011 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mid wing is framed up, still lots to do before it is completed.
I would be lying if I said I was not excited................. :D

Craig

abufletcher 10-31-2011 09:59 PM

This GTM DrI is just a nice, nice, nice looking kit...and you're doing a fantastic job on yours! I'm sure you've mentioned it above but what engine are you using?

Canuck1 10-31-2011 10:04 PM

abufletcher

I am going to go with a Zenoah G-62, good solid engine, should fly the plane real nice and scale like.
I used the same on my 1/3rd pup, no issues with spinning a 24 x 8 prop. Flew it real well in fact. There is more drag with the Triplane, but more lift. It should be a good combination ;)
I like the reliability of the zenoahs, no issues with them at all. If I do find I need more power I still have a few options open.

You are right, these GTM kits are super nice. Just takes time to get things done.

Craig

deljon 11-01-2011 03:59 AM

I ended up with the Zenoah GT 80 twin on mine, (35lbs dry), most of my flying is from half to two-thirds throttle, so I would think
that if you can keep the weight within the 30-35lb range the G-62 should be just fine.

Plane is coming along real nice Craig

Del

Mustang51 11-01-2011 07:39 AM

Craig,
I have a new in box reduction unit for the g62 from England( cant remember the name) that I was going to use on mine but went with a DL 100 instead(grossly overpowered). This would make a greatcombo for the DR1. If interested, let me know, Ill give you a good price.
Dave

abufletcher 11-01-2011 04:29 PM

A G64 with a reduction drive sounds like a great way to go. Swinging a scale prop would be a BIG plus!

TKFOKKER 11-01-2011 05:06 PM

Dave If Craig isn't..... email me.
TK

Canuck1 11-01-2011 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dave
Thanks for the offer, and yes TKFOKKER it would be a great option.
I think I will just stick with the G62 for now, over to you TKFOKKER :D

Finished up the mounting of the mid wing. The wing brackets are glued on, and I have a habit of pinning everything, so I pinned those with 1/4 dowel, CA'd, so they are good to go.
Alignment went pretty good with the bottom wing, will need to do a slight sand on the bed of the bracket to ensure the spacing of the wing tips are the same. That will be tedious, wing off, sand, wing on, check, wing off, sand wing on, you get the idea [8D]

I also like to seal in the bolt area. I hate to have a washer rattle around in there and not be able to get it out. Used some 1/8 balsa, built a box, sanded it flush and glued the web sheeting on, it is sealed up, and I am pretty happy with the way it turned out :D

Craig.

Canuck1 11-03-2011 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am currently in the process of splicing the spars for the top wing.
Concurrently I am doing a few things. I have laminated the bass and plywood curves for the mid wing using the template provided. It says in the instructions to tape the 2 pieces of cardboard together for the template. I only have one, and it is still doable.
The wooden struts will be painted, so even before I get to the stage of cutting them for length, I will seal them. I have sanded the radius in the leading and trailing edge, and will glass them with 3/4 oz cloth. This will seal the wood, and they will have a nice finish after they are painted.

Craig

semeraro 11-04-2011 07:18 AM

Very nice work on the triplanes guys. Ihave a question about the gtm kit parts. Inotice that the kit uses a carbon tube for the tail surface leading edges. The strap hinges then use a piece of brass tube that slides over the carbon tube. My question is, what is the od of the carbon tube and the id of the brass tube used in the hinge? Iam designing a Nieuport and want to use the same techniques for hinging the tail. I purchased a piece of carbon tube that was supposed to be .210 inch. The 1/4 od brass tubing (closest I could find) seems to be a loose fit for the particular piece of carbon tubing. Iguess I am really interested in what sort of clearance there is between the brass and carbon tubes.

Love the triplanes. Someday when I get a little better at flying Iwill build one.

Regards,
Dave Semeraro

deljon 11-04-2011 09:47 AM

I don't have the plans here handy right now, but if memory serves me the carbon fiber tubing is 5/16 OD and the brass was a nice slip fit
over the cf tubing, the hinge is then held in place by a pinned brass retaining ring on each side.

Del

Canuck1 11-06-2011 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The top wing is all framed up.
I am taking advantage of the open spar panels for the strut mounts, to use my building board.
I have secured the wing, put blue tape on the ribs. Now it is time to sand the leading edge balsa. Makes for quick work when the wing is secured to the table.
Still need to do the leading edge of the mid wing, before I proceed to mark the strut mounting locations, then I can close up the spar webbing.

Craig

valleyk 11-06-2011 08:14 PM

I'm impressed how fast your build is going. I just maidened my 1/3 gtm dr1 and I think it took 2.5 years to get to that stage. If your interested I used cables going from fuse to ailerons with out the need for extra battery and receiver in wing.

Canuck1 11-06-2011 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Valleyk

Thanks, it is going together pretty quick. It is a fun build. Saw your maiden video, looks pretty nice flying around.
Are you happy with the flight characteristics? I did have a 1/6th Ziroli DR1 a few years back, and I sure liked it. 1/3 scale should be pretty sweet.

I am also planning on doing cable runs from the fuselage, up to the top wing then out to the ailerons. Was planning on using one cable that goes up from the fuselage on each side. Then a balance cable to also run the full length of the wing.

Post pics, I am interested in your aileron set up. Any issues with running the ailerons by cables?

Stacked my three wings on the bench. I centred them, and drew a line from the top wing to the bottom wing. This should ensure the outer struts are in line. I will double check the mid and bottom wing using a plumb bob arangement to check how well they line up. Need to put those wings on to check.
I think I will leave the spars open in those locations until after the top wing is mounted. Just to make sure its good before sealing in the bolts.

I need to sort out my focus, sorry for the blurry pic [8D] added a pic of my Ziroli DR1 :D

Craig

deljon 11-07-2011 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: valleyk

If your interested I used cables going from fuse to ailerons with out the need for extra battery and receiver in wing.

By all means, post pictures of how you did your cable runs.
I'm going to build another one, (maybe start this winter) and was thinking of doing just that. Having the servos mounted on
the center wing platform.
Where did you get your pulleys??

Del

valleyk 11-07-2011 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How I got my 1/3 GTM Fokker in my little Toyota Matrix.I really needed to re-engineer this kit for transportation. I would like to share this to the rc community for those scared to build big. Once you fly big you’ll never go back!1) All three wings needed to be split using tongue and groove mated to box spar for connection.2) Basically the plane is broken up into eight sections. Six wings, fuselage, and inner strut platform bolted to top wing and fuselage. All takes less then 15minuets to assemble.3) I made the landing gear removable from fuselage by means of slotting the fuse and replacing J bolts with aluminum straps and hex bolts. Great idea for those hard landings and need to remove and bend back to shape but not necessary for transportation.4) I used two servos and cable for the ailerons to save cost and weight. The servos are placed below and forward of mid wing mounting platform and used pulleys in the top wing to route cable to horns. Bought light plastic sliding door pulleys (.75 dia) from hardware store much cheaper than Proctor pulleys. You must contain the cable in the groove of pulley otherwise if cable falls out of track no way of placing it back on inside wing. Each aileron has it own servo in case one fails. See pictures for better understand but basically the cables need to be able to disconnect when pulling off wing with threaded rod bonded in place nuts for tension length consistency.Well how does she fly? The sensitive controls are the elevator and ailerons which use 133 in-ounce servos with no problems. The DR1 can out roll a Sopwith without losing altitude. The rudder really needs the big servo and its very important to maximize its motion. The scale size rudder is fine no need to make it bigger. Make sure you follow GTM elevator and wing incidence! In fact a little more built in positive incidence on elevator combined with a 2.5 – 3.0 degree right and down thrust for the propeller really works well. The plane will surprise you on how easy it is to fly. I like to take off on paved runways and land in grass but in my case its clumps of crab grass and prairie dog holes. Landing is most difficult because you don’t want to break your 50 dollar prop! Wing skids a must….make them pivot using spring steel to reduce wing impact. This plane loves windy conditions up to 20 mph…really slows down on landing.

valleyk 11-07-2011 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more photo.