RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Glenn Torrence (GTM) 1/3 Scale Dr.1 Build Along (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/4399390-glenn-torrence-gtm-1-3-scale-dr-1-build-along.html)

deljon 01-03-2012 04:49 PM

RE: Glenn Torrence (GTM) 1/3 Scale Dr.1 Build Along

Looks good Graig, while it's all fresh on your mind, go ahead and knock a couple for me............:D

Del

Canuck1 01-03-2012 04:53 PM

LOL

I think it would be easy to build several at once.
That part of the Fokker factory has been stood down from production.

I was thinking I may order a 1/3 Vickers and a Lewis gun to build and detail, put them on the wall. Might be cool.

Craig

TKFOKKER 01-03-2012 04:57 PM

Guns Look Awesome!
TK

Canuck1 01-03-2012 06:27 PM

Thanks TK
I am following the information with pictures that you provided in another thread.
They are turning out good. Pretty happy with them so far.

What did you make the ejection tubes out of.......those look good. Del also has them on his DR1, and I would also like to know how to do them.

Craig

pimmnz 01-04-2012 02:54 AM

You guys might like to check out 'The Vintage Aviator' for all sorts of good scale info, 1/32 scale kits too...just type in 'The Vintage Aviator' in your search and browse around in their site...
Evan, WB #12.

axialair 01-04-2012 03:31 PM

Hi to everybody,
my name is Alessandro, I' m writing from Italy I' m a modeller since long time actually I'm 45 and i made several models in the past, sinceI turn over also to static models doing competitions.Now with the intent to introduce my little son in to fantastic modelworld I' ve restart again the dinamic modelism.
My favorite planes are: for the ww1 the fokker dr1 of course, for ww2 F190 A8 contemporary F 16 and many others.
Searching information about triplane i found this thread, and i want to say that job of all of you is great, fantastic,really reallynice well done.
Also I was long time a go building a fokker Dr1 very similar to the real one, but mine is not so big as yours.
as i said is an old project that i want to restart again. Today technology gives to us a lot of choise about materials, tools, glues,covering tissuean so on, anyway my dr1 is 1/5 scale, for the time that was started was big, but comparing what yours today is like a moskitos. So far getting back on the project I decide to keep this size first off all because i had allmost finish all 3 wings and second i'll power the model with electric motor, this wy that the electric motor gives a lot of power output, is light andsmalland allows me to use a big prop 21" that for the1/5 scale keeps proportions correct.
I hope to post some picture to, one day soon I'll finish to fix my workshop and restarting the recostruction again,working time permitting, I'm cargo pilot and often out of home.
For the 1/3 scale there is an interesting video about a real rotative1/3 scale engine, fantastic , a real dream if you are interest chek it, this is the link http://modelrotaryflyer.tripod.com/

I have just one question to ask :
The GTM model kit wich angle of incidence has adopted for the bottom, mid and upper wing of the DR1?
Thanks.
Best regards to all and happy landings
Alessandro

Canuck1 01-05-2012 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alessandro, thats a pretty cool link.

Enjoyed watching the Gun Bus, I scratch built one of those about 10 years ago in 1/6 scale :D

Guns are almost complete. the gun metal works great, and I also did the pencil lead effect as well. Still need to fabricate the gun sights.

Picked up some small wood balls from the craft store. Sanded a small flat portion and glued them to the cocking handle after they were stained, looks good.

Painted the white area on the top wing and fuselage. the spar inspection plate turned out pretty good too.

Craig

axialair 01-05-2012 02:01 PM

Very nice spandaus jaust missing to fire real bullets.

axialair 01-05-2012 03:40 PM

here you can find another web site concerning spandau guns:
www.arizonamodels.com

Once inside you'll find on the left all idex, than scroll downwards till reaching the box named Free Extras,
than click on Reference Drawings and choose from the menu " Weapons", from the sub menu click than on machine guns.
Here we are now you have drawings of all famouse mg's you'll find also 3 drawings of the spandau that you can download and unzip.
Finally enjoy.

Alessandro.</p>

axialair 01-07-2012 02:08 PM

Hi I'm Alessandro,
very nice job, great.

I've posted a question about angle of incidence ofglenn torrance DR1,may be you can help me.

wich angle of icidence the 3 wings are set?

Canuck1 01-07-2012 03:42 PM

Yes, I was going to answer the question, then forgot. Sorry bout that.

This is according to the plans,

Fuselage is set at 0 degrees.

Tail plane is set at 4-5 degrees positive.

Sub wing (landing gear) is set at 0 degrees.

Three wings, set at 2-3 degrees positive.

I hope this answers your question.

Craig.

axialair 01-08-2012 07:28 AM

Thanks a lot,
seems that Mr. Torrance uses allmost the original values as the real one.
Very interesting from the modelling side.
Thanks again.
Aessandro. 

US185Damiani 01-10-2012 12:49 PM

Craig,

I've documented the sheet metal on the GAAM 1:1 scale build,  there are a few detailed photos therte of how the sheet metal should look.

Canuck1 01-10-2012 04:12 PM

Thanks, I will check that out.

Craig

US185Damiani 01-10-2012 04:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Craig,
I hope these pics are clear enough for you to get the idea
Here's the link to my other thread on the page with more sheet metal info

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...14/key_/tm.htm

Canuck1 01-10-2012 06:02 PM

Thanks for posting those pictures.
These will be a great help.
Nice and clear shots, thanks [8D]

Craig

Canuck1 01-10-2012 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Started working on the written weights on the port side.
Cut out the writing from the plans, taped it into location.
Using carbon paper, transfered the writing to the side.
Did a once over with a fine permanent marker. Still need to go over it a few times to clean it up and make the lines a bit wider.
Need to take my time, as I do want them to turn out nice.

Craig

Canuck1 01-10-2012 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It turned out pretty good.
Stressfull task, easy to make a huge mess. I am happy with the results.
Still needs a bit of the carbon paper residue cleaned up.

Craig

Canuck1 01-12-2012 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Did some more stuff to the fuselage.
I have the white squiggle band traced out on the fuse, as well as the iron crosses. I hope to get those masked off and painted tomorrow evening.
I also applied the Datum line. I ran a piece of 1/8 tape where I wanted the line to go. Then on either side I pit down some Tamiya tape on each side. I removed the centre 1/8 th tape. Filled it in with a permanent marker. Removed the tape. Turned out pretty good.

Craig

Canuck1 01-14-2012 07:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sprayed the black band on the fuselage along with the iron crosses. I did have a few spots where the white did pull off. I will fix those up after.

Craig

WacoNut 01-15-2012 01:16 PM

Looks Really Good!!!
Anthony

Canuck1 01-15-2012 01:38 PM

Thanks. Slowly plugging along.
Clear coated all the struts and the landing gear today.
Even did the guns, they have a nice metal sheen to them. Will post a few pics later.

Craig

Canuck1 01-20-2012 08:28 PM

Since I have clearcoated all the struts, it is time to do some stenciling of the aircraft work numbers.
The work number for this DR1 is 1987.
Using a letter stencil I picked up at the store for .59 cents, and a fine permanent marker, I stenciled the bottom of the wings, and the struts wth the appropriate numbers and letter codes.
I will stilll need to do the bottoms of the ailerons, as well as the front landing gear struts.
I have the work numbers and wing manufacture dates placed on the bottoms of all three wings.

The stencils turned out pretty good :D

Trying to load a few pics, does not seem to be working. Will try again later.

Craig

Canuck1 01-20-2012 10:03 PM

I hope to get a few pictures uploaded tomorrow. Not to sure what the issue is.

I set the plane all up. Everything is in, servos, battery, engine etc.
Still need to cover and paint the ailerons, and put in the front fuse top for the mid wing.

All up weight as it sits is 34 lbs, and does seem a bit nose heavy.

Curious to see what the rest of you guys have for a dry weight.

Craig.

valleyk 01-20-2012 11:13 PM

There is no way your going to get this model down to the advertised weight of 30 lbs. I came in at 37 lbs dry and I fly at 6000 feet plus in colorado. I don't think a G-62 is going to do it so I bought a DA-100 and it goes vertical. I personally think if your plane is heavy and on the edge with power and you put in a couple of grand time and effort get a bigger engine. Here is a vid of my maiden with used DA100 (750 dollars). I think a G-62 at sea level is ok but marginal and I hear the G-80 twin is a dog for its weight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpKhrllZ6Ck