RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Pilatus PC12 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/5017520-pilatus-pc12.html)

VoughtF4U 02-28-2007 04:08 PM

RE: Pilatus PC12

Greg,

Just wanted to post a thank you for your work on the plans. I will definitely eventually build one, but probably not in time to offer any suggestions for improvements for you. The PC12 has been a favorite of mine for some time. The only suggestion I would have right now is to put a "revision #" on your drawings if you change anything else on them. That way you and the rest of us can keep track of which drawing to work from. Good luck on yours and keep this thread going!

Thanks again,
-Scott-

oldtimer143 03-02-2007 03:16 AM

Hi Scott,

No problems - only too happy to know that somebody else is building one. Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the full set. I've not put them all up on the web as I'd like to have some idea who else is building one and keep in touch for any problems or suggestions such as yours. Eventually I'll have the finished version available for purchase, but they won't be too different from what I have now - just finesse.

Again, if anybody else is interested, just email me and I'll be happy to send them to you also. I'd like you to contribute to his thread as you go along though... we can all gain from your experiences that way.

Cheers

jfreed 03-09-2007 02:34 PM

I am interested in your project.

We have a Pilatus as our company aircraft and I fly RC. Could you please provide me your contact information as I may have someone to assist you with this project.

We to are interested in building an RC scale Pilatus.

You can email me at [email protected]

Sincerely,

John

oldtimer143 03-10-2007 11:36 PM

Anybody interested - I have a bunch of detail photos of the PC12 that I would be happy to send to anybody who needs them to build this model. Email or CD-ROM, whichever is needed. I'll charge $2.00 plus postage for the CD-ROM but email will be free of course.

Alternatively, I can upload the occasional detail photo to this thread. Just let me know what you need. I have access to the aircraft 24/7/365......

Cheers,
Greg

mac91 03-11-2007 03:01 AM

Greg how much is it costing you to get your parts cnc cut?
Cheers,
Sam

oldtimer143 03-11-2007 04:07 AM

Don't know yet - maybe this week when they should arrive. I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Greg

oldtimer143 03-17-2007 08:54 PM

The first set of parts have arrived (1/16 scale) and look to be just about perfect. I'm starting construction in the next couple of days - just waiting for some hardwood spars and other stuff.

I'll post photos as I go along.

mac91 03-19-2007 12:57 AM

Greg
I have your retracts and will send them to you tommorrow. They look pretty cool.
Cheers
Sam

oldtimer143 03-19-2007 07:54 PM

Wow! That was a quick trip..... Looking forward to having them. Thanks again. I've got the prototype parts now, and I'm starting to assemble the small version. I'll let you know as I progress.

Cheers,
Greg

oldtimer143 03-22-2007 09:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First Construction Photos.........

Here they are, the first couple of photos of the small version. As you can see, it pretty well falls together without any difficulties so far. I managed to forget one former in the cutting, and had to replace it with a balsa. Also, I somehow forgot when I was designing the aft servo tray, that you can't "bend" ply or fold it, or in any way change the shape of it so it will fit into the notches I'd provided for the two interlocking pieces. I had to slice the tray laterally and reglue it when I had installed the forward part. No problem, but I should have thought about it earlier.... I guess that's why this is a "proof of concept" model....

Anyway, the first couple of photos.

Enjoy.
Greg

mac91 03-23-2007 01:03 AM

Greg,
Looks great so far. Are the formers cut from balsa or ply? I sent your retracts on thursday so you should recieve them next week.
Cheers,
Sam

oldtimer143 03-24-2007 03:33 AM

All the formers were intended to be ply, as they're just a little too wide for a balsa sheet and would otherwise need to be joined. Weight-wise there is a penalty, but I don't think its a huge one. However, when I sent my files away to be laser cut, I forgot to duplicate F10 on the sheet as there are two the same. I had to make it out of balsa as I wasn't wanting to delay the build any further. You can tell which one it is in the photos as it has remnants of the paper pattern still attached to it.

I've got the stringers pretty much done and I should start sheeting the fuse tonight or perhaps tomorrow. Wing outer panels will be next, as I'm waiting for the wing joiner to arrive with the 1/8 scale parts. There could be a week or two delay on that though as I've got some more things to do with the parts drawings before I'm satisfied with them.

Looking forward to getting those retracts. I can't believe air retracts can come so small.....

I'm thinking of covering the prototype with Monokote rather than painting it as it will be quicker, especially since most of my tools are still in New Zealand and I don't have most of what I'd like to have with me.

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers,
Greg

F86_SABRE 04-21-2007 03:01 PM

Just bumped into this PC-12 plan from Germany:

http://www.vth.de/shop/shopfiles/pro...wcat=1&sparte=

oldtimer143 04-22-2007 12:16 AM

Great! Somebody else has done one. I'd love to get in touch with them, but my schoolboy German isn't up to the task. Anybody able to get more information for me please?

Cheers,
Greg

mac91 04-22-2007 02:19 AM

Greg,
Have you got the retracts yet!
Sam

oldtimer143 04-22-2007 10:01 PM

Hi Sam, Yes - sorry, I thought I'd emailed you but obviously not..... They're great and I'm looking forward to installing them and getting them operational. I still can't believe how small they are. I noticed the other day that the manufacturer is currently out of stock, so they must be popular too! Again, thanks for going to the trouble to get them for me. I really appreciate it.

On the subject of retracts, are you still thinking of having a go at building a set of gear legs for the larger PC12? I'd love to hear any of your thoughts on that one too.

I'm still waiting for the wing joiner so I can continue with the prototype. However, that said, I've been pretty busy recently and haven't done any modeling for a couple of weeks so I can't say that I'm being held up! I've got the fuselage half sheeted, tailplane and fin half done, and next will be the wing - but they will have to wait until I return from New Zealand next week.

Have you started your model yet? Let me know if you need my contact for the laser cutting. I'm sure he'll help you out quite quickly, although he's been pretty busy recently too - I know as I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive as mentioned previously.

I also have a graphic for the instrument panel that I just have to size and print. I drew it up on CorelDraw and it is 100% accurate for our RFDS aircraft. When I get it done, I'll send you one if you want. Just email me sometime with your address.

Cheers,
Greg

mac91 04-23-2007 05:38 AM

Greg,
Im glad you liked the retracts! I was also amazed when I saw them they are so small. I will see how your PC12 turns out and i will then get some parts cut and hopefully make a fiberglass fuse. It will be my first vac bagging project. Lately I have been busy working on a 1/4 scale Christen Eagle, and a 3d biplane, while trying to study for my BAK exam. I only have a few more hours to get my license. I had my first solo at the start of the month and did a few more solo circuits on saturday. I am having so much fun!!

Cheers,
Sam

oldtimer143 04-23-2007 04:23 PM

Excellent.... stick with it Sam. You'll never regret having the ability to fly!

Cheers,
Greg

mac91 06-19-2007 03:31 AM

Greg,
Hows progress with the PC12?

Sam

oldtimer143 06-19-2007 07:46 PM

Hi Sam,

Actually, progress has halted for the moment as I'm still waiting for some parts to be laser cut but my guy has some personal problems to deal with and hasn't gotten to my files yet. It really hasn't caused any great problems at my end as I've been pretty busy myself with a couple of overseas trips and plenty of work to keep me busy so progress wasn't going to be great anyway - in spite of my original optimism.

Currently, the fuselage is half sheeted, the horizontal stab is mostly done with just one side to sheet and shape and the fin is framed up. Yet to start the wings and control surfaces due to the aforementioned parts problem. Although I could cut my own parts and get on with it, I'm keen to make sure the lazer cut parts fit so I can offer the files/parts with complete confidence.

Also looking towards the 1/8 scale PC12 and the only difficulty I'm likely to have at this stage is the gear. Have you thought any more about whether or not you would like to tackle the scale retract units for me? Let me know what you think of that...

I've already identified a few changes I'm likely to make to the construction of the 1/16 version and I will need to produce at least another fuselage to prove those changes, but that won't hurt. The practice is good for me as I've not built a model from scratch in some time....

Cheers,
Greg

mac91 06-19-2007 07:59 PM

At the moment I am looking into getting a meco midget oxy torch. This would enable me to very precisely (well the tool has the capability:D) weld the gear together from tubing. As at the moment I am gathering information on building a homebuilt which is very exciting. So hopefuly when i can get one of these torches and get some practice up i could weld up a set from Chrome-Moly tubing. The other parts of the retracts are availible from Robart.
Cheers,
Sam

mac91 11-20-2007 06:10 AM

Greg, Any news on the pc12?
Cheers,
Sam

oldtimer143 11-20-2007 11:55 PM

Hi Sam - and everybody,

I feel ashamed - nothing to report by way of progress as I've been concentrating on a couple of other projects and since I'd been waiting for a couple of parts it was easy to just put it on the back-burner. However, since my parts are still not here and it seems the guy has fallen off the face of the earth, I might as well just start cutting my own and get back into it.

I have noticed a few things I omitted or just didn't think about, and I'm thinking that it is overly fine detail for a small electric, but I'll modify the plans as and when I get the prototype flying and can sort out if I've messed anything up too badly. I know it's accurate for scale though.

Has anybody else started theirs yet? Love to see some photos...

Cheers,
Greg

mac91 11-21-2007 03:45 AM

Thats bad news that the cutting guy is one as I was going to get the parts done by him when you finished yours.
Sam

mac91 03-17-2008 06:07 AM

Greg, How is the PC12 going. Haven't heard any news for a while. Just wondering if your still going. Hows work going? Saw the show on TV on sunday night. It sends a tingle down your spine when you think of the wonderful work the RFDS do, how many lives are saved and helped. I read a couple of the ABC's book on RFDS stories. There are some great yarns to be had. I am really wanting to start work on my own PC12, just waiting for some feedback and maybe flight testing of yours.
Cheers,
Sam