RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Byron P-51 Mustang (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/6088702-byron-p-51-mustang.html)

Cub_Boy 07-09-2007 12:48 PM

Byron P-51 Mustang

Hey Everyone,

I will be picking up an (Original) Byron P-51 Mustang... complete kit with all of the accessories tomorrow evening. I was hoping to get some advice as to what are the good and bad points to this kit. I have this plane designated as a new Scale Masters Project and would really appreciate any feedback, tips or tricks that you may have.

Also... would really like to keep the engine in the cowling as much as possible and still use the 4 bladed prop. Any suggestions in this area is also much appreciated!

I look forward to your replies :-)

Rick,

Tex Gehman 07-09-2007 01:17 PM

RE: Byron P-51 Mustang

If I remember correctly, one should get an eyeball transplanted to the end on your longest finger. It'll sure help in construction.;) Tex.

Mustang51 07-09-2007 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Tex Gehman

If I remember correctly, one should get an eyeball transplanted to the end on your longest finger. It'll sure help in construction.;) Tex.
WHAT??

Wayne22 07-09-2007 04:16 PM

Don't get your hopes too high for Scalemasters...it is way, way, way, way, way, way off scale. However, it looks fabulous with that big 4 bladed prop, and flies like a giant (albeit heavy) trainer.....

Depending on your engine choice, the cylinder head usually sticks out below and to one side of the cowling, right in front of the wing...it is hardly noticeable. The engine is working pretty hard and you need to get lots of cooling air around it anyways.

I never found it particularly difficult to work on, although it is a complicated plane with lots of stuff inside - some of which vibrates loose fairly regularly. You get used to it and know where everything is located in pretty short order.......

spitmad 07-10-2007 12:32 AM

Mine is being refurbed as we speak........after 20 years worth of dings and hanger rash is was getting a bit tired........Wayne 22 is quite correct.........it is way off 'scale' but it look sensational in the air turning the big four blade prop.

Although I did not build mine.....I have since stripped it back and it does not seem like a complex build .....and yes they are certainly not overpowered and they do perform like a very heavy trainer ;)

cheers

Alan

spitmad 07-10-2007 12:35 AM

Here's my Byron

willey 07-10-2007 11:20 PM

Rick, Let's see some pictures of your new 51, boy!, I'd would love to have one of those, I have two Byron kits, an A-4 thats been completely refurbished, close to it's maiden voyage, and right now I'm striping paint on a Beech Staggerwing.

Byron Originals pretty much got the ball rolling so to say with all their kits. gotta love them! Next best thing to a box of balsa.

Cub_Boy 07-11-2007 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Willey here are some pictures... I just picked this up last night. After going through all of the parts against the original parts list looks like I hit a gold mine. All of the original parts are present including three sets of flying blades, two canopies, retracting canopy kit and full retract, wheels and gear door set.

The mailing label on the boxes say it was shipped to the original owner on August 8th, 1984. This stuff has been sitting in the boxes and original packing for almost 23 years waiting to be built and flown.

If I said I paid $400.00 dollars for this would you believe me?

Rick,

willey 07-11-2007 09:51 AM

Sweeeeeet Deal I must say!! I'll bet you were sure grinning on the way home!! If you ever want to sell or trade let me know, I''ll be first in line!!

Cub_Boy 07-11-2007 10:26 AM

Hey Willey,

I was smiling all the way home and I am still smiling now...lol I have been looking for such just a deal for years (and I am viewing this as a once in a lifetime find). I do not think I will be selling or trading this plane; however I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo looking forward to getting her built and in the air... can't wait to see those four big blades swinging and hearing them slap the air as she roars by on a low level high speed pass!

Rick,

B Shipp 07-11-2007 10:28 AM

That looks like a first generation kit, with the one piece wing. I built a couple of those and a couple of the later models with the two pice wings. It flew OK but vibrated like crazy. You may want to find a couple of drive belts. I had some new ones sitting around for about 8 years and when I went to use them they fell apart.

Brian-

Cub_Boy 07-11-2007 03:35 PM

B Shipp,

That is a great tip, I have already contacted ironbay to order some extras...

Rick,

spitmad 07-11-2007 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rick

You must be the luckiest bugger in the world......whata find!
Make sure you install seperate aileron servos in the wings....the early one piece wing used one central servo and long torque rods to the ailerons........this has inherent 'play' and flex in the ailerons which makes for a very sluggish handling bird and prone to aileron binding........apart form that you will find the a beautiful flying warbird .

cheers

Alan

vinnyjet 07-11-2007 07:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i always liked the byron p-51 i got this one for 700 RTF as you see it
vinny

willey 07-11-2007 08:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alan, Very nice looking 51!! although mine not a Byron, but it be pretty cool to fly some formation with ya, I think these would look pretty good together. Come on over next weekend and we'll do some flying together!:D

willey

willey 07-11-2007 08:13 PM

Vinny, you got a heck of a deal there! Nice looking bird!! going to Delaware this weekend?

willey

Wayne22 07-12-2007 12:09 AM

That is a sweet deal!!! But you have a lot of work ahead of you..... It's great to see pics of these old birds still flying!!!

I found the one piece wing was easier to work on because the fuselage access was through the very large wing saddle area....I beleive the latter versions you had to go through a little opening under the canopy....however, there are other trade offs.......

spitmad 07-12-2007 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: willey

Alan, Very nice looking 51!! although mine not a Byron, but it be pretty cool to fly some formation with ya, I think these would look pretty good together. Come on over next weekend and we'll do some flying together!:D

willey
hey Willey.................nice colour scheme.......yep they would look great in formation.........unfortunately I am on the other side of the planet from you ! (melbourne Australia )
Mine is now being refurbished and will be repainted in a more scale scheme (Huntress III) with correct invasion stripes etc.

cheers

Alan

Cub_Boy 07-14-2007 10:20 AM

Hey Spitmad,

I having been looking for a nice full scale subject... I really like the pictures you posted... do happen to have more of those you could send to me? My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thank you in advance...

Rick,

spitmad 07-15-2007 08:32 PM

Rick

go to www.mustangsmustangs.com

You will find plenty of pics there

cheers

Alan

Cub_Boy 07-17-2007 05:45 PM

Hey Alan (Spitmad),

I went out to the site you suggested and found the exact airplane I wanted to duplicate!!! Thank you for the tip !!!

Rick,

willey 07-17-2007 06:44 PM

And the WINNER ISSSSS????????? ((((((Drumroll))))))

ORIGINAL: Cub_Boy

Hey Alan (Spitmad),

I went out to the site you suggested and found the exact airplane I wanted to duplicate!!! Thank you for the tip !!!

Rick,

Cub_Boy 07-17-2007 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the WINNER IS.........

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...44-74446.shtml

Type: P-51D-30NA
Serial #: 44-74446
Registry: N1451D
Owner: Nathan Davis
Base: Indiana

Since I already have Herky Green's P-47 in my hangar I might as well complete the set (minus the P-40 of course) but who knows that might sneak in down the road sometime too!

Wayne22 07-18-2007 08:34 PM

I don't have his logbook handy, but that serial number looks very familiar..My father in law may have flown it while it was in RCAF service.......

HUNTERANDJEFF 11-21-2007 10:56 AM

I was working in my shop the other day and a customer came in and seen all of my planes. He said that he had a plane given to him that is still in the box and since he is not a plane freak like me, he said he had no desire or the patience to build it. I asked him what it was and he said that it was a big WW2 fighter maybe a P-40. He asked me if I would be interested in a trade. So I made arangements with him to see the plane. I went to his house last night to look at it. When I went into his garage and seen what was in the box I nearly fainted!!!! It was a byron originals P-51 mustang!!! Yes I took it home and it is in my shop now. It has the engine already installed and is not put together yet. I got it for about 100 dollars!!!! I couldn't even sleep last night.
Is there a building thread on this plane in RC Universe?? Even though it has all of the instructions, a thread would help greatly.

Thanks in advance. Jeff