RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   1/4 Scale Cub Landing gear upgrade? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/8013947-1-4-scale-cub-landing-gear-upgrade.html)

Huntster 10-02-2008 09:19 PM

1/4 Scale Cub Landing gear upgrade?

I have the Wire landing gear that came with my Balsa USA kit. This was my first scale plane so my cub isn't the best scale plane in the world.

Would it be worth the $100 for the upgraded landing gear set? By robart or others...... Any opinions... I use my cub to drop skydivers so true scale is NOT a requirement.

mimoore67 10-02-2008 09:52 PM

RE: 1/4 Scale Cub Landing gear upgrade?

www.piperj3gear.com

khodges 10-02-2008 11:19 PM

I agree with the above link. Whether or not you want the Cub to look more scale, the functionality of the gear can turn mediocre landings into good ones, and will be worth the GDP's in the long run.

*GDP* green dead presidents:)

mimoore67 10-03-2008 08:00 AM

Just my $2.00 worth! If you took the time to build a Balsa USA kit or any kit, why not!

carlbecker 10-03-2008 08:12 AM

I had a 1/4 Cub and put the Robart gear on it. Very nice! I have purchased the 1/3 Robart Cub gear and turned it into 30% Jungmeister oleo landing gear. I recommend you get the some replacement gear. They work well.

Wilki01 10-03-2008 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: mimoore67

Just my $2.00 worth! If you took the time to build a Balsa USA kit or any kit, why not!
Exactly, why not. I built the Sig 1/4 scale kit as well. I didn't quite get finished before I ended up unloading everything(divorse), I had planned on the Robart setup, not only scale or scale like. They look way better than the stock wire setup as well as being functional. I now have restock my airplane line-up. Do to lack of space and time, I ran out and bought a Hangar 9 1/4 Scale Arf and I really enjoy the functional gear. When it craps out, I'm qetting the Robart setup for it.

Wilki

abufletcher 10-03-2008 11:09 AM

If you're just using the Cub as a "drop plane" then I don't see why you'd want to spend the money. Sure the scale gear looks great but a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. I'd go for it if I had build a drop-dead gorgeous scale Cub, but it all I wanted in a good flying model (and the Cub is a GREAT flying model) then why worry about the damage you might do to $100 gear.

But then I flew the heck out of my Cub pushing the envelop on each flight. In fact, I learn more about flying with this model than any other model I've flown. Eventually though this aggressive flying led to its destruction.

Wayne22 10-04-2008 09:01 AM

Would it be worth the $100 for the upgraded landing gear set? By robart or others...... Any opinions...

Absolutely !!!

Do it, you will not be sorry! You have to be careful when you order to specify the Balsa USA gear, as it is 1/2" wider than the similar Sig 1/4 scale cub. It works fabulously

KrashMaster 10-09-2008 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Huntster

I have the Wire landing gear that came with my Balsa USA kit. This was my first scale plane so my cub isn't the best scale plane in the world.

Would it be worth the $100 for the upgraded landing gear set? By robart or others...... Any opinions... I use my cub to drop skydivers so true scale is NOT a requirement.
I built my own from 30 dollars worth of Hardware store parts that can land on gravel, ruff cut hay field, pot holes whatever, here is the original post if you want TUFF but
aren't fussy about looks this gear has stopped my nose over in the grass mishaps and enabled me to fly in the worst of conditions.
Go here to learn more.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...build%2Cthread
Scott

cubnuts 12-31-2009 07:48 PM

Although Wm Wallace's piperj3gear.com site is longer online, his landing gear company lives on. It was purchased in November of 2009 by cublandinggear.com of Oregon City OR. The new site, cublandinggear isn't up quite yet, we expect it will be by mid January 2010. In the mean time go to rcuniverse.com and search "cub landing gear" for our ad. In the alternative you can contact us at [email protected]. We offer a full range of scale Cub landing gears at competitive prices. As someone said in an eariler post, "a good articulated gear makes average landings look great". thecubnut

Wrangler1 07-17-2011 07:01 PM

Hi, i have a Cub that i just do the maiden, and the stock aluminum piece landing gear bent next to the left wheel in a very soft landing, that's why i want to change it for something more strong and that have shocks. The fuselage width is 4 1/2 inches. Do you have one that fit this plane?

cjtyped 07-20-2011 07:45 PM

Wrangler you will probably have to email thecubnut to get to communicate with them. I have had their gear on 2 planes (Super Cub and Tiger Moth), and I can vouch for their ruggedness and function. Absolutely worth the money. Giive them the dimensions they ask for and you will not be disappointed.

cubnuts 07-21-2011 09:56 AM

Please go to cublandinggear.com for a description of what we manufacture.

Cubnuts