RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/8053911-amr-33%25-waco-ymf-5-build.html)

WacoNut 10-16-2008 08:58 AM

AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

1 Attachment(s)
I am getting ready for the build, the kit is on it's way and due to arrive tomorrow. Airplane Modelers Research makes some very nice Giant Scale kits. You can check out their kit line up on the link here [link=http://www.amr-rc.com/Giant%20scale%20kits.htm]AMR[/link] They are great people to deal with.
My goal is to produce a very detailed scale model of the Waco down to the last detail. The AMR Waco took best bipe at Top Gun in 2007 so the kit is very capable it is all up to me to get it done. The plane will be powered by a zdz160 twin cylinder engine and will be equipped with a smoke system as well as landing and nav. lights. I have found that doing a build thread helps to keep me motivated in a project and this will be my most ambitious project to date. I will be posting and uploading pics regularly and covering every aspect of the build of this wonderful kit. Please feel free to jump in and ask questions or offer suggestions as I go.
I just completed a 25% Waco from Pepino plans, it was a very intense build and was the most difficult model I have ever built. I am sure this plane will just fall together in comparison and I am really looking forward to it. I hope to take this Waco a step or two beyond what I did with the 25%. I am attaching a couple pics of my 25%. With any luck posting on the actual build will start tomorrow.
Later!!
Anthony

Jacque 10-16-2008 09:23 AM

RE: AMR 33% Waco YMF-5 Build

Good luck Anthony, on your new build. Looking forward to seeing the photos. Your Pepino Waco sure turned out nice........... Jacque Waco brotherhood 27

WacoNut 10-16-2008 09:37 AM

Thanks Jacque,
I am sure this is going to be fun!!
Anthony

Big_Bird 10-16-2008 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Congratulations Anthony. I'll be following this thread closely.

For others you can follow my AMR 42% Super Decathlon Build thread here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_78..._1/key_/tm.htm

WacoNut 10-16-2008 09:51 AM

Thanks Ken,
Nothing prettier than a Waco even when an Old Geezer is dragging it back to the pits:D
Anthony

RICKSTUBBZ 10-16-2008 11:21 AM

You can count me in. I'll be [sm=49_49.gif] watching......

kvlasblom 10-16-2008 12:03 PM

And I'm subscribed too :)

WacoNut 10-16-2008 12:11 PM

Thanks Guys,
I am very excited about this build and I hope to keep the thread interesting.
Later!!
Anthony

WacoNut 10-16-2008 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to decide on a paint scheme for the Waco,
I have tracked down a lead on informaton about tail #14132, it has an interesting paint scheme and the colors are dark blue with gold trim over white. I exchanged e-mails with a gentleman who knows where the aircraft presently sit dismantled but he can get me all the info I need about the exact colors used on the plane as well as instrumentation and interior color. This may be the scheme I will be putting on the Waco.
Here is the only pic I have of the plane at this time.
Anthony

WacoNut 10-17-2008 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Geat News,
2 BIG boxes just showed up via Fedex containg my Waco:D. Now I will start unpacking the kit and read through the manual a couple times and do an inventory of all the parts and start construction. I know what I will be doing the nest few days;).
Later!
Anthony

WacoNut 10-17-2008 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have went through the contents of the 1st box and all I can say is WOW!!![X(]
The quality of the fiberglass is very good and the hardware package as well. The 7" wheels provided are very sturdy wheels with bearings in the hub and the landing gear is machined out of thick aluminum, this gear would support my weight. The wing fillets are molded fiberglass as well as the tail fairings and this will save a ton of work when it comes to finishing. There is also a fiberglass ring supplied for the front of the fuse as well as fiberglass top fuselage cover to simulate the lauminum skin, all these pieces are very nice indeed.
I took a few pics of the fiberglass parts as well as the gear and hardware, now to inventory all the wood parts.
Anthony

WacoNut 10-17-2008 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I now have the kit unpacked and I am very impressed by the quality of wood and the laser cutting,
The laser cutting is very clean and does not appear to have excessivly burnt edges like I have seen in some kits. I have to admit I was a little overwhelmed when I 1st opened the box with all the wood, the size of the project can be intimidating but after reading through the manual I am set to go.
I am going to segregate the kit into sub kits, a kit for each wing panel then a kit for the fuse and one for the tail feathers and tackle them one at a time. The plans have you starting with the outer wing panels 1st that is where I will begin. The 1st step is to go over my build table and make sure it is still 100% straight and level then build the jig for the wings.
I will gest started now and I will post some pics when construction begins. Here are a couple pics of the wood from the kit, you can see the laser cutting as well.
Anthony

mrdhud 10-17-2008 11:30 AM

WacoNut

Anthony, Looks like you’re in for some enjoyable building. I’ll be watching and learning. See you and your Waco at Top Gun when your finished.

Dan

Stickbuilder 10-17-2008 11:31 AM

Anthony,

Now that you are going to be famous, don't forget where you came from. The WACO Brotherhood also encompasses the larger and the smaller versions.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

WacoNut 10-17-2008 11:59 AM

Bill you can't get rid of me that easy and I don't know about the famous part, well maybe if I destroy it on the maiden and the video gets on U-Tube:D
Anthony

rack 10-17-2008 12:01 PM

go threw my build its the 40% but its built the same.
you can order lithoplate from balsa usa to put over the front hood area, this realy sets it off
if you have any problems dont be afraid to ask, genisis kits are real easy airplane to build
when you get to the iner and outer cowl get in touch with me i have a diferent way of mounting these it may work better for you good luck , vern

WacoNut 10-17-2008 12:07 PM

Thanks Vern,
I just discovered your build this morning I was actaully reading it when my kit arrived;). I am sure I will be looking you up.
Anthony

WacoNut 10-17-2008 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to cover some basics before I get started,
I have always felt that the #1 most important thing about building a kit is to start with a straight/flat and level table. You can have one without the other and I think it is very important that it is flat and level. I built a table many years ago that has served me well. The frame is 2x6 construction with jost every 12", I know it sounds like over kill but it is sturdy. The top is 3/4" ply with a piece of double paned tempered glass over that. The legs have leveling screws and the table is perfectly flat and level. I can move the table anywhere and have it leveled back out in minutes. A fla table doesn't guarantee a straight airplane but it gives you chance at it.
Here are a few pics of my table, it is 8x3' and the glass is 90" x20". As you can see I have levels on the table checking to make sure the table was pefecly level. I did have to make sore minor adjustments. Now off to sort the kit into sub kits and get started.
BTW: a great thing about building on glass is once you finish up just take a razor scraper and clean the table off and you good to go, RainX on the glass helps.
Later!!
Anthony

kvlasblom 10-17-2008 12:41 PM

Very exciting!
This is going to be one big machine!

rack 10-17-2008 01:10 PM

well your not moving mine, its 4x12feet with a 4 inch concrete bed with two sheets 3/4 then for the building serface i use a sheet of 4x12 drywal, temp screwed down
i 3m my plans to the drywall and they are removeable when done
also works good for scratch builds. im able to draw my plans out on the table as i go

WacoNut 10-17-2008 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I built the top wing jig and the instructions say start the left wing first, well the way I tach glued the fixtrure to the table I am doing the right panel 1st;)
The Jig works great and it is actually tack glued every 6 inches or so to the glass table top. this will assure that it stays squared up while the wing panel is assembled. I have all the ribs put into their correct position now I need to cut the spars to length and start gluing the panel together.
The instructions are well written and easy to follow, I just have to keep myself from trying to jump ahead without reading.
Anthony

Big_Bird 10-17-2008 03:35 PM

From the position of the wing tube holes I can see that the dihedral is built in. I did a similar thing with the holes on my Super Decathlon to get 1 degree on each side plus I slanted the first rib 1 degree.

I did a similar thing to what you said. I sorted all of the components into their respective sub assemblies. It made assembly go a lot faster.

Sure looks like fun.

WacoNut 10-17-2008 04:07 PM

Hi Ken,
The wing has the proper 2deg of dihedral for each panel, the inbord rib is set at 2deg in the jig. This is going to be a very fun build, the kit has so much scale potential I will drive myself crazy with details:D
Anthony

RICKSTUBBZ 10-17-2008 04:21 PM

Anthony,

Looks like you are getting in the ZONE:). I hope the wife and kids have seen you enough for the week:D. The way you build I am betting you'll have the wings framed up by the end of the weekend.

One thing is for sure these guys produce beautiful kits. While looking at Ken's Decathlon build I was amazed at the quality. Your WACO is no different.

WacoNut 10-17-2008 05:05 PM

Can't say enough about the quality,
I have the 1st panel ready to glue the spars in but it's dinner time and I don't wanna miff the misses on day 1;)
Anthony