RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   Halberstadt DV (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/8059400-halberstadt-dv.html)

destrat 10-17-2008 10:19 PM

Halberstadt DV

Has anybody out there built the 1/4 scale Halberstadt DV from the Gary Sunderland plans?

jtisch 10-19-2008 12:48 PM

RE: Halberstadt DV

I haven't built one but I have the plans and have gathered the wood and hardware for it. It will be a while before I get to it. You may try a search here at RCU, but IIRC no one that replied had built one.

J

destrat 10-19-2008 01:32 PM

jtisch:

I just got my prints, is it my imagination, or does he not show any type of material for the spars, no cut-outs in the ribs, or what? How do you see it? I have no poblem with designing my own system, but the prints seem to be lacking in certain areas like what are fuselage formers 1-4 supposed to look like. Any ideas are appreciated.

udet1918 10-19-2008 11:00 PM

I am currently building the Halberstadt. I just started last week. I will be doing a build thread on RCSCALEBUILDER.com
The spars are spruce. Sunderland shows all you need to know on the plan it just needs to be deciphered. It also helps if you have the build article he did in Flying Scale Models December '02.

Anything I can do to help let me know.

Ron

abufletcher 10-20-2008 02:05 AM

What's the quality of the Sunderland plans in general? I've been thinking of ordering the LVG VI plans. I've been impressed with the quality of the scale models I've seen in FSM.

Does he take a "minimalist's" approach with his plans or do they include a lot of detail. Although I like the "lots of detail" approach, I'd be willing to forego that in exchange for plans that are true to scale outlines and even better plans that stick closely to the scale structure of the original, for example, in terms of rib count, spar placement, former locations, etc.

udet1918 10-20-2008 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let me try an upload.

udet1918 10-20-2008 10:54 AM

Abu,

In the previous post I've uploaded a scan from the Flying Scale Models issue Dec. '02. It shows a partial of both sheets of Gary Sunderlands plans. Sorry for the quality but I think you can make a determination for yourself if the plans are what you are looking for. IMO the outline is good when compared to the Datafile. Rib count and spar placement look to be scale.

We'll see, I plan on competing with the model. Time will tell!

Ron

abufletcher 10-20-2008 06:57 PM

Thanks. Those look pretty good. The blurb in the FSM's ad, mentions that the prototype for the Sunderland LVG VI won first place at the Toledo Weak Signal show. But at 25 pounds sterling, I wanted to have a better idea of the quality of his plans.

udet1918 10-20-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Thanks. Those look pretty good. The blurb in the FSM's ad, mentions that the prototype for the Sunderland LVG VI won first place at the Toledo Weak Signal show. But at 25 pounds sterling, I wanted to have a better idea of the quality of his plans.
I'm glad you like them. I'd like to invite you over to RCSCALEBUILDER.com I have a build thread on the Halberstadt there.

Ron

destrat 10-20-2008 08:38 PM

abufletcher:

I'll stand corrected, but I have plans for the LVG CVI that won the Toledo show a few years back. They are by a modeler named Frank Mizer, he also did a Lysander some time ago, and I believe his most current model is a Felixstowe flying boat. I had seriously thought about doing the LVG before I did my Pfalz's, albeit his plans were only 1/6th scale. I had blown them up to both 1/5th and 1/4 scale. Quarter scale is a bit big with around 138" wingspan. Let me know where you are going to go with the idea!

destrat 10-20-2008 09:00 PM

udet1918:

Thanks for your encouraging words, I'll look forward to following your build. That's what is fun about scratch building, there is a lot of room to incorporate ones ideas into the plane, I like a good challenge as previous pic's of my Pfalz D-IIIa, and D-XII will testify to, and believe me they had some challenging moments. Happy building!

udet1918 10-20-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: destrat

udet1918:

Thanks for your encouraging words, I'll look forward to following your build. That's what is fun about scratch building, there is a lot of room to incorporate ones ideas into the plane, I like a good challenge as previous pic's of my Pfalz D-IIIa, and D-XII will testify to, and believe me they had some challenging moments. Happy building!
Could you direct me to the photos of your Pfalz's! Not sure I've seen them and I'm a big fan of Pfalz designs.

Thanks, Ron

abufletcher 10-20-2008 10:55 PM

I have no immediate plans to build the LGV VI but I have some very nice technical drawings of it, and have always thought about doing a "scratch build" which might be sort of a mixture between the structure on the technical drawings and some practical realities from a good set of plans. The Sunderland/Mizer plans seem to be the best available for the LGV VI.

Anyway, I'm eager to see the Halberstadt DV builds get underway. I've often checked out RCSB but the website is often slow and uploading photos is less convenient, so for now, I'll stick with RCU. Actually, I wish we could entice more serious builders to post builds here (too?).

jtisch 10-21-2008 10:30 AM

Destrat,

With the FSM article and careful study, you should be able to figure out all the details. I don't remember any part that I couldn't figure out.
Some ideas I had were to use GTM aluminum struts for the landing gear struts and cabanes and use "stuffed" alum. tube instead of dowel for the rudder and elevator spars. I also plan to use reed dowel for the tail out lines. No knock on the plans I just like using methods that I like and am used to from previous builds. Remember, "Good artists copy,great artists steal",:Dnot that I am any type of artist.
Keep us posted, would love to see it come together online.

J

destrat 10-21-2008 09:03 PM

udet1918:

If you enter Pfalz D-XII at the top of the "RC Scale" page search box, it's on page two of that thread, and type in Pfalz D-IIIa in the search box, it's on pages 5 and 6 in the Pfalz D-IIIa drawings, resources thread, enjoy!

Henner Trabandt 10-22-2008 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, this is a thread, I shall be looking foreward to. I love the Halberstadt fighters, especially the DV!

Abu, sholud there be more serious builders or should the builders be more serious? (my poor English:eek:)

Best regards
Henner

abufletcher 10-22-2008 10:31 AM

Es soll mehr ausgebildete builders geben! ;) I'm often split between wanting to build small and fast (and therefore getting to build a greater variety of aircraft) and building large(r) and fully scale (and only getting to build maybe 5 models in 10 years. [:o]

udet1918 10-22-2008 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen,
I am looking for information on the wing mounted radiator found on the Halberstadt. I believe they are the Teeves & Braun type! Any photos and/or construction notes would be greatly appreciated. I am posting a teaser photo of my DV under construction.
Thank you, Ron