RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/8329060-new-beech-baron-duchess-arf.html)

hawleaboy 07-03-2012 09:32 AM

RE: New: Beech Baron and Duchess arf

Bateman, I may be interested in you baron. I've been eyeing it for quite a while now.

send me a PM with what you are thinking.

dbateman 07-08-2012 05:31 AM

hawleaboy .....................sent pm....

viper1676 07-13-2012 07:25 PM

These lights are going to be the death of me!! Plus just realized I'm going to have to cut the side of the Nacelles to fit the engines and on board glo...bummer, reallly didn't want to have to do that. Anyway, for light placement. Here's what I have and I know...I have a red/strobe and green/strobe in the wing tips. The two larger landing lights go in the nacelle's. One red strobe on top of the verticle fin. What I have left is an additional red blinking light, two solid bright wihite lights (plugged in to taxi lights on board) and 1 white strobe. I have looked all over for pics as where these go. Anyone have any idea? I don't want to start poking random holes in the fuse.

Thanks
Dave

tkapfer 07-13-2012 07:29 PM

I have 1 red and 1 white stobe in one wing tip. I have 1 green and 1 white strobe in the other wing tip.
I have the 2 landing lights in each nacelle on the outside/bottom.
I am putting 1 red strobe in top of the vertical fin.

I have been told that the other red strobe goes on the underside of the fuselage.

viper1676 07-13-2012 07:36 PM

Thanks tkapfer. I figured the red under the fuse...any idea about where? Behind the nose gear doors maybe? Any ideas on the bright taxi lights?

Dave

tkapfer 07-13-2012 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The landing/taxi lights are on the outside bottom of the nacelles. I had to cut out holes and then fill up epoxy around them and painted them white.
Here is a picture of what it looks like.

viper1676 07-13-2012 07:59 PM

Wow, that looks nice. Also looks like it was a lot of work. I also have 2 smaller taxi lights in addition to those bigger landing lights. They are bright white and the same size as the flashers...just solid white. On the light brain, they plug in to the spot called taxi...do those go on the the nacelles as well?

rgaynor 07-14-2012 04:43 AM

If you go to post 1045, you can see how and where I placed my lights. I made a casing Kogut of epoxy and glasses it into the nacelles for the landing lights. hope that helps

viper1676 07-14-2012 05:06 AM

Hey Ron,

Thanks! I'm still up in the air on how involved I want to get with the landing lights. I may just pop them in without making any extra casing. Honestly, I suck at that kind of stuff! My main concern is where all these other lights go. (2nd red beacon and 2 bright taxi lights) Should I just leave them off? Also have that last strobe as well.

rgaynor 07-14-2012 05:59 AM

If younarennot good at installing, then it might be best to leave off. Besides, it is rare that you will use them. That said, they do look cool when installed.

viper1676 07-18-2012 04:16 PM

Ok, next question. I just got the stock struts from RCaerodyne in today. There are of course no instructions for it. I'm installing these on E-Flight retracts. The mains look pretty straight forward, the nose on the other hand is confusing me. There's a brass plug in the top of the strut and no hole in it for the gear to go in to
. Anyone have any idea what's up with that? Do I have to drill a hole for the gear or something.

Thanks for everyone's help!! It's very much appreciated.

Dave

viper1676 07-18-2012 06:00 PM

If you go to post 994 you can see a picture from Parrot Girl. My nose gear looks just like hers (the one on the right). I've also messaged RCAerodyne, but I'm not holding my breath on a response. They never seem to answer me, which is really frustrating

handyman 220 07-19-2012 12:40 AM

Viper
I also received a replacement nose strut as you described. I'm also confused as to what to do with it. I believe it is designed for the second set of generation retracts. Aerodyne was supposed to replace the faulty 1st generation retracts, but as you said don't hold your breath waiting! [:@] I'm open to suggestions as to how to modify the strut to work with the E-flites as I'm also going that route. Drilling the plug seems like the obvious solution.

autotecart 07-19-2012 01:04 AM

aerodyne do take a while to get back but they do eventually.

I asked them how the king air project was coming on, they said the test plane is doing its test flights at the moment so it looks like they are progressing with the development pretty well

viper1676 07-20-2012 06:12 PM

Actually got a repsonse back yesterday about it. Had to call. Spoke with Robert there and he's looking in to it. I'll post the solution when I have one.

handyman 220 07-21-2012 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: viper1676

Actually got a repsonse back yesterday about it. Had to call. Spoke with Robert there and he's looking in to it. I'll post the solution when I have one.
Thanks Viper, that would be great. I'm not into the build yet so I've got time to wait.

tkapfer 07-22-2012 02:45 AM

This may have been covered, but another question I have is I finally got a hold of the E-flite electric retracts. 85 degree mains and 105 degree nose.

When looking to test fit everything, it appears the nose gear with the oelo strut does NOT fit all the way down into the nose.
It sticks out the bottom where if I installed the gear doors, they would not close.

How has everyone been modifying this up front to make it fit?

Also, how much machining did you have to do to make all the wire rods that come with the retracts to fit into the oleo struts and have the correct length.
I assume you use the rod itself and cut to size the part that does NOT have the wrapped spring part as that would make the length too long to fit in the wings etc.
The rods are suppose to be 4mm for nose and 5mm for mains, but I think with the chrome etc, they put on these they are slightly larger than that and require sanding or something to fit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Pictures also work GREAT too.

Thanks
Terry

viper1676 07-22-2012 03:27 AM

Hey Terry,

My nose also sticks out just a bit with the E-flights. I had to shim mine to begin with by putting some washers under it. I think if I had put a few more, I would have been all set, but based on all the trouble everyone seems to have with the doors, I was leaving them off anyway. So I left it alone. As far as the mains go for the struts. The rod from the E-flights should slide right in. I just had to cut a piece off and the just play with and measure it to get a good fit. One thing to watch for that I didn't catch and now have to take a strut off. When you slide the rod in the strut itself. Do not push it in until it bottoms out. The strut will NOT be able to compress fully this way and will hit the rod. What I did on the second when I was measuring was to compress the strut fully and then slide the rod in adn tighten it down.

Dave

tkapfer 07-22-2012 04:08 AM

Dave,

Yes I am having to mill down the strut rods slightly. After measuring the rods they are 4.09 and 5.06-5.08 in diameter, so don't just slide right in.
Also, cutting the notches etc for the nose gear where the c clamp goes on the top is a job if you only have a dremel.

It would be nice to still have the gear doors on to make it look scale while flying.
Not sure how that large opening will affecct flight characteristics as that is a large open space.
Yes, I noticed while piecing all this together that we need to compress the spring and then put the rod in.
Thanks

tkapfer 07-31-2012 04:45 PM

Ok, so here is the real questions about retracts??????

Who are the ones using the eflite retracts?
Are you using the oleo struts?
Did you get the 85 degree mains and 105 degree nose?
Did you have to machine a complete 4mm and 5mm rod to make them fit?

Also now the key question.....How did you make them work? I am finding that the oleo struts do NOT fit the eflite retract mains.
The problem is that they are too thick around that when the retract closes, it pushes right into the motor section and does NOT completely fit.

help.

viper1676 07-31-2012 04:52 PM

I had to remove the small piece of balsa that sticks up in the wheel well. This gave me enough clearance for them to close completely. A friend of mine also suggested adjusting the endpoints in the radio. Not sure that will work, as I have not tried it, but it makes sense. I had no issue with rods fitting right in to the oleo struts on the mains. Are you using the strut that came with the retracts or the plane?

tkapfer 07-31-2012 05:21 PM

I am using the strut rods that came with the retracts. They don't quite fit into the oleo struts that came with the plane.

The real issue is that when the retract closes, the strut is too wide around that it pushes down into the retract motor and does not fully close.

viper1676 07-31-2012 05:48 PM

I just cycled mine a few times and I see what you mean. Mine make a high pitched beeping noise for about 2 seconds before shutting down. I can see where the strut is hitting the motor. It does shut it down though, so I think it may be ok. My gear doors fit flush when it's closed. As far as the rod goes, not sure what to tell you there. If you want, PM me your address. I have some left over strut from mine that fits great. Be happy to send it to you.

LearnedInUk 08-01-2012 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making progress on this one. Motors are almost done. need to install lights and complete interior.

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to make the light housings into the engine cowlings?

rgaynor 08-01-2012 04:14 PM

Take a look at my post (1046) page 42 and you can see how I mounted the lights. I made the housing our of epoxy and glued them into the cowling. Good luck