RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Scale Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/)
-   -   scale turnbuckles - is there a need? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/9954683-scale-turnbuckles-there-need.html)

abufletcher 08-30-2010 10:58 PM

RE: scale turnbuckles - is there a need?

1 Attachment(s)
But that's the thing. It we have to shorted the cables/wires also (due to stretching) there's no reason to ALSO have to adjust turnbuckles.

Here's a photo of a set of 10 cast metal turnbuckles I just bought on eBay for $5. I don't know if I'll end up using them for anything, but they might gets me thinking! And that's work 5 bucks to me!

Nieuport nut 08-31-2010 07:41 AM

What I meant was that if a 25" cable fits when the model is new and stretches with use to 25.25" (1%), then we might expect that a 50" cable would stretch .5" (1%). I'm ignoring wire diameter thinking that the total load would go up as well, (sqare perhaps?). The turnbuckle could be opened to perhaps 3/4 of available length so that as the cable stretches with use, the turnbuckle can be shortened so that the cable doesn't have to be remade. Large or small turnbuckles will be opened the same proportion, irrespective of their size.

Martin

Reg Hinnant 08-31-2010 09:49 AM

If you are making a static display model those turnbuckles would be fine.
Next time just send me the $5..........

abufletcher 08-31-2010 09:55 AM

I might find a place for them on some model some time in a static function. They are really just a novelty. Apparently, they were original part of some kit. I just wonder why no one makes functional turnbuckles with this shape.

Reg Hinnant 08-31-2010 10:59 AM

Most likely not produced because of the additional milling for the tapered & hex center barrel would push the cost up too much.
Lots of working turnbuckles in the model boat stuff also you find some in the large scale train stuff.

http://arch.navalis.pl/index.php/cPa...sort/3a/page/2

See what they have in their catalog in brass & stainless.
http://www.cap-maquettes.com/maquett...-uk/d1453.html

Eindecker_pilot 09-01-2010 06:20 PM

Getting away with cosmetic turnbuckles vs. actual turnbuckles also depends on this: Are the flying wires themselves functional? Do you really need the flying wires to be taught & supporting the wings or are the flying wires just for scale appearances?

abufletcher 09-01-2010 07:24 PM

Cosmetic isn't exactly the right word. As I mentioned one of my prior posts, turnbuckles serve two functions: 1) they allow adjustment to the length of the wire and 2) they transmit the strength of the wire to the fitting/strut/spar. A "static" turnbuckle could still achieve the second goal even if it isn't adjustable. Now I'm not talking about the cheap cast metal ones I posted above. But non-adjustable brass or steel "turnbuckles" would certainly do the trick. And even a fairly small turnbuckle with small threads would work if it was securely safety wired (actually the weak link would be the eyes at the end).

Anyway, I'm just brainstorming here.

TFF 09-01-2010 11:39 PM

So, you really want to know if it is cheating to not use real turnbuckles? :)

abufletcher 09-02-2010 12:09 AM

Sort of. :D

But I'm also semi-serious about two issues. First, I'd like to be able to avoid spending a bazillion dollars on functional turnbuckles on the FE2b I'm thinking of doing (which is pretty much ALL wires) and, second, if we can avoid the need to have adjustable turnbuckles (which is just ONE type of functionality) we might actually be able to make (either scratch-build or manufacture) more scale looking "semi-functional" turnbuckles.

TFF 09-02-2010 12:34 AM

I am sure the best answer is to use both. I would not buy a 100 turnbuckles for a 1/6 scale plane, but some places you might want the option to have adjustment. Our planes are pretty soft compared to a real airplane. Even with tight wires, most of our airplanes flex a bunch. Even though under heavy flight loads real airplane wires can go a little slack, when real wires are tightened the whole plane pops and twangs and growns; you can actually see the wings flex. When tightened, the wings are more like a set bear trap or a bow drawn. Our planes have to be functional in our world or they become very flawed static models.

abufletcher 09-02-2010 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Those 10 static (metal cast) turnbuckles I bought (for a total of $5) turned out to be about 2 inches in length with a barrel length of around 30cm. I really do wonder what sort of "kit" they came from (as stated by the seller). That would have had to be one awfully BIG static kit.

John Cole 09-02-2010 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think there is a need for scale turnbuckles when modeling full sized airplanes that used them.

One criteria I consider for choosing a subject is: required hardware/metal fabrication/turnbuckles/etc. and the time - cost to obtain these parts. My current project is a WW1 two seat a/c in quarter scale. Hardware cost to date is about $380. and I have a few more odds and ends to buy. Just depends on what you want to do..

John

(ps) hope my wife doesn't read this...;)

hammerd 09-02-2010 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Reg Hinnant

Most likely not produced because of the additional milling for the tapered & hex center barrel would push the cost up too much.
Lots of working turnbuckles in the model boat stuff also you find some in the large scale train stuff.

http://arch.navalis.pl/index.php/cPa...sort/3a/page/2

See what they have in their catalog in brass & stainless.
http://www.cap-maquettes.com/maquett...-uk/d1453.html
The turnbuckles in the first link look pretty good to me. I'll look into those for my next build. Thanks.

Teus 09-03-2010 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just try out to make a smaller version (M2 thread) turnbuckle. What do you think is the correct size for 1/4 scale? I tend to the bigger one (M3 thread).

abufletcher 09-03-2010 02:44 PM

They both look good.

hugho 09-03-2010 08:10 PM

It's about time you guys figured out how to make turnbuckles.

abufletcher 09-03-2010 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: hugho
It's about time you guys figured out how to make turnbuckles.
Let see...a $500+ lathe and/or milling machine...assorted tools, taps, and dies...brass and steel stock...hmmm...I figure that works out to about $10-15 bucks per turnbuckle. ;)

Teus 01-23-2012 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just want to show you a newly tried design of my home made TB's for a friends Busa Sopwith Pup;

Housing is made from 4mm hex brass and the eyes and forks are from 4mm steel with M3 thread and the forks have M2 screws.

abufletcher 01-23-2012 03:32 PM

You're getting VERY good at those!

Nieuport nut 01-23-2012 07:30 PM

Very nice. When does full production start?:D:D:D

Martin

Teus 01-24-2012 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Nieuport nut

When does full production start?:D:D:D

I am think to do that in small numbers on demand. ;)

Just a curious question; What do you guys think is a reasonable price you are willing to pay incl. post for 10 TB's like the one I posted yesterday?

Teus

abufletcher 01-24-2012 02:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Teus

Just try out to make a smaller version (M2 thread) turnbuckle. What do you think is the correct size for 1/4 scale? I tend to the bigger one (M3 thread).
In terms of scale size, I'd say the M2 thread turnbuckle would be more suitable for 1/4 scale. In terms of price, without at this point giving an actual price, I think there are two basic approaches: 1) Look to beat the Proctor price for similar size turnbuckles or 2) price them the same or higher with the idea that they are actually better turnbuckles. Given the work involved I'd think you'd want to go with option #2.

Teus 01-24-2012 02:43 AM

M2 thread is no option I think.

Maybe for the correct size but for functional use on a 1/4 scale model I would say M3 and for 1/3th scale M4.

abufletcher 01-24-2012 02:45 AM

Maybe that depends on where. For those turnbuckles within the fuselage frame, M2 is almost certainly fine. But you might be right about M3 for flying and landing wires. Personally, I think I'd trust M2 threads on flying wires IF they also have the proper safety wiring. Note that the MR forkends (that he uses on all this 1/4 scale WWI kits) are M2 threads.

Teus 01-24-2012 04:00 AM

ORIGINAL: abufletcher

Note that the MR forkends (that he uses on all this 1/4 scale WWI kits) are M2 threads.

Thats true, but I know also that they fail more often than a M3 version due to model vibrations and resonances. (they break at the thread). M2 is in my opinion too weak for fuel powered 1/4 scale models.