Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Best Radio for twin screw model ships

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Best Radio for twin screw model ships

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Hookpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Radio for twin screw model ships

Any suggestions for which radio system to use with model ships? Our club has a guy who was modifying Spektrum DX6's (old style) putting in twin throttles on left joystick hole. He's stopped this because Spekrum no longer makes this radio, now making the DX6i. More troublesome is the fact that this also includes end of production of the old style receivers. You can find used DX6 radios on EBay, but good luck trying to find matching receivers. For someone getting started, you don't want to invest in old technology for this very reason. He cannot modify the DX6i. So we are left with the Robbe F14 Navy radio or trying to find an old Ace Nautical Commander.

So what are all you twin-screw vessel owners doing for radios? I'd love to find a computer radio, 2.4GHz with 10-model memory that someone has hacked and installed twin sticks on the left side AND the ability to add a channel splitter like the Switch-8 or Switch-16. I'm not holding my breath for Spektrum, JR, Futaba, etc., to come up with such a radio for us ship modelers- they'll say, and rightly so, the market is just too small to justify the cost of bringing such a radio to market. Out of curiosity, how many out there would spring for a modern 2.4GHz 6, 7, 8 channel computer radio modified for ship modeling in the same price range as equivalent air radios?????

Mike
Old 10-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Best Radio for twin screw model ships

I bet I know where you can get a lot of help. Contact Galaxy Hobby at James Village and ask them when the scale model ship club meets. I'm sure the members can help you out. If not, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction
Old 10-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Hookpilot

I'm a club member of the Northwest RC Ship Modelers who meet at Galaxy and we, like all scale ship model builders have limited R/C resources available. We had a club member who was modifying the Spektrum DX6 (original model) by installing twin throttle sticks in the left joystick hole and adding a channel splitter, the Switch 8. But now that Spektrum no longer makes receivers for this radio and the TX is out of production as well, he can no longer find radios and receivers to modify. That leaves the old Ace Nautical Commander in the used market if you can find them, or spring for the Robbe F14 Navy radio. There is a 2.4GHz mod for old Ace radios, but not a good option. So now we search for a 2.4GHz computer radio with twin sticks in the left joystick mount. There isn't such an animal. Now we are forced to buy very expensive, airplane/heli intensive setups to get the ability to assign joystick functions for twin throttles. I spoke with a rep from Thundertiger (Ace) about a prototype ship model twin stick radio they show on their website. It will never be built he said.

If there is an electronics whiz out there who could put a twin stick in an existing 2.4GHz computer radio with at least 6 channels, give us a shout. We'd like to see the Spektrum DX7/8 TX used as the base for such a modification. Since we are wishing, add the ability to split one of those channels with a Switch 8 or Switch 16.

Mike in Edmonds
www.shipmodelers.com
Old 10-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks Mike. BYW, next time you see Randy F, tell him a former student said Hello
Old 11-02-2010, 10:03 PM
sunworksco

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best would be a Robbe F-14 Navy, Robbe F-16 Navy or better yet a Graupner M19.
The Robbe radios can be upgraded to a twin-screw stick for marine use.
Regards,
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67319.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1527426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27743.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1527427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59638.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1527428  
Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM
benny2.0

I can make you one.
You can use any 2.4 JR or spectrum reciever.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Hookpilot

ORIGINAL: benny2.0

I can make you one.
You can use any 2.4 JR or spectrum reciever.
Benny: Tell me more... I'd like to see a Spektrum DX8 set up with twin sticks, ala Robbe F14 Navy's set up. Got any pictures of what you can come up with?

Mike in Edmonds
Old 11-03-2010, 08:27 PM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will you be using the Navy Twin Stick Unit 1564?

Bob

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30332.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1527786  
Old 11-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Hookpilot

Hi Bob:
I don't know of any other option for a twin stick installation. So, yes can the Robbe Navy F14 twin-stick unit replace the left-hand Spektrum DX8 joystick? Cost to modify??

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 AM
benny2.0

You have to make a twin stick unit to fit inside of your transmitter. There are 4 screws around the stick that let you remove the gimbal.
I have no pix’s of the one I made.
I made it for a friend who has since past.
I have no clue what has become of it.
I remember we had about 9hrs in fab time.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM
rblubaugh

Mike,

Benny said he could make you one and use any 2.4 JR or Spectrum receiver. What I wondered is if he would be using a 2.4 JR or Spectrum Transmitter?

Bob
Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 AM
rblubaugh

Will it work on one of TODAY'S pieces of equipment or only on older equipment? I read somewhere that the new equipment would not allow for modification like this.

Bob
Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM
benny2.0

LOL.
I have used my DX6I, DX6 and my JR 9303 with a AR6000, AR6200 and R921.
Like I seed before. The transmitter doesn’t care what you do with it. As long as you use the same Ohm pot.
Just use the ones that are already in you transmitter. IE “the throttle and ruder”.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM
rblubaugh

O.K. Benny, you're telling me something I sort of (kind of) figured out but didn't know if the Robbe twin-stick unit module would readily (easily) plug in to today's equipment. Since Tx and Rx are already matched up to one another (locked) there shouldn't be any problem. It really is worth the minimal effort to upgrade the Tx and use two ESC to give real dual motor control.

Bob
Old 11-04-2010, 10:41 PM
benny2.0

Two ESC’s LOL.
This one is nice. http://www.dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X25.htm
It has some nice specifications
25A continuous, 50A peak per channel.
6-24V nominal, 30V absolute maximum
Synchronous regenerative drive
Ultra-sonic switching frequency
Thermal and overcurrent protection
Lithium protection mode
Input modes: Analog, R/C, simplified serial, packetized serial
Size: 2.6” x 3.2” x .8”
65 x 80 x 20 mm

And yes, if the Robbe twin-stick unit’s pot’s have the same Ohm values it will work.
You will probably have to sodur the wires.
What kind of ship would this be used on?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 AM
rblubaugh

Benny,

It would be used on a Dumas 1954 Chris-Craft Commander Express Cruiser which is about 60% constructed. I'm ready to fiber-glass the hull, do electrical wiring, plan the interior (I cut out the windows) and so on and so forth. Major construction is done and the decks have been planked with mahogany; the stuffing tubes and rudders are mounted; I've even changed the open bridge to a covered bridge, an option with Chris Craft. All I need is the TIME to do it!

I looked at the Sabertooth dual 25A motor driver. Very interesting. I was completely unaware of this ESC, thanks for bringing it to my attention. After reading the ad I am a little concerned that the ESC may only work with lithium ion and lithium polymer battery packs?!?

I had originally planned on a single Traxxas EVX-2 Waterproof 16.8 V. ESC w/BEC, 30 A. cont., 180 A. rated with 2 New 550 Titan fan cooled Fwd/Rev motors. As far as the motors go I can always go to 540 45T Crawler motors ( or other Crawler motors) which will draw less current, 3.35A, 7.2V @ Max efficiency. Parallel NiMH battery packs will give me pretty long run times if I go that way. Originally I was going with four battery packs, two sets parallel to have at least 14.4V available to the Titan motors - probably overkill but changeable.

Bob
Old 11-05-2010, 08:24 AM
benny2.0

I see you did't read the Documentation PDF.

Recommended power sources are:
•5 to 18 cells high capacity NiMH or NiCd
•2s to 6s lithium ion or lithium polymer. Sabertooth motor drivers have a lithium battery mode to prevent cell damage due to over-discharge of lithium battery packs.
•6v to 24v high capacity lead acid
•6v to 24v power supply (when in parallel with a suitable battery).

I have to ask. Why do you wonting to put twin throttles on that ship?
This is the kind of ship ive used twin throttles on.
Joe has rudders and flanking rudders. In this video he is not using them. Just the props.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlgvqNLCa6o
Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM
rblubaugh

Benny,

"Why do you wonting to put twin throttles on that ship?" My answer is "Control" like the youtube video.

Yep, I missed the documentation .PDF but now I have it saved to my HD for further reading later. I did note the power sources. Out of curiosity I looked at the 2x12 documentation and note it is not as specific as the 2x25. I notes only lithium ion and lithium polymer battery. Perhaps other DC power types are inferred?

Bob
Old 11-05-2010, 04:21 PM
XX29L9

Hi Mike-
Sounds like you might be looking at doing something like the project I am just wrapping up-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015913

Bob

ORIGINAL: Hookpilot

Any suggestions for which radio system to use with model ships? Our club has a guy who was modifying Spektrum DX6's (old style) putting in twin throttles on left joystick hole. He's stopped this because Spekrum no longer makes this radio, now making the DX6i. More troublesome is the fact that this also includes end of production of the old style receivers. You can find used DX6 radios on EBay, but good luck trying to find matching receivers. For someone getting started, you don't want to invest in old technology for this very reason. He cannot modify the DX6i. So we are left with the Robbe F14 Navy radio or trying to find an old Ace Nautical Commander.

So what are all you twin-screw vessel owners doing for radios? I'd love to find a computer radio, 2.4GHz with 10-model memory that someone has hacked and installed twin sticks on the left side AND the ability to add a channel splitter like the Switch-8 or Switch-16. I'm not holding my breath for Spektrum, JR, Futaba, etc., to come up with such a radio for us ship modelers- they'll say, and rightly so, the market is just too small to justify the cost of bringing such a radio to market. Out of curiosity, how many out there would spring for a modern 2.4GHz 6, 7, 8 channel computer radio modified for ship modeling in the same price range as equivalent air radios?????

Mike