Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

USS Monitor ironclad

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

USS Monitor ironclad

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 PM
pl_09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default USS Monitor ironclad

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oya8Z1imSI[/link]
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Deathwish
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: USS Monitor ironclad

very nice you make it from a kit or plans? if you got the plans i like to get a copy to send to my email.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 PM
pl_09

I couldn't find a plan, so finally I settled with the very tiny Lindberg kit and finally did it. I even have the Merrimac as a bonus to work on
Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Deathwish

plans http://www.building-model-boats.com/...ans-store.html
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
pl_09

[X(]Wow, very nice & look accurate too !
Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Deathwish

What scale is your's?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:48 PM
pl_09

1/250 with length of merely 8.25 inches []
Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
pblix

Very impressive to convert that tiny kit to RC. Well done.

As to emailing plans...

I'd like to remind anyone reading this, that sharing my plans is a violation of the [link=http://www.building-model-boats.com/store-policy.html]agreement[/link] as well as international law.

Think about how you'd feel. Spending days of research and hours upon hours working hard, only to have moochers sharing your hard labor amongst each other. Pay your way, or stick to the crumbs you can find in the public domain - and never ever solicit someone to break the law on your behalf.

Thanks,

Petter
admin www.building-model-boats.com
Old 11-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Deathwish

Oh you got it all wrong Sir Peter i was asking if he had the plan's in which he didn't then i fount that website. So i posted it if anyone wanted to buy them. But i totally agree with you.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 PM
pblix

OK, I'm glad you agree.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Doc.316

Nice Model...it caused me to research the monitor...amazing ship for it's time. Even more amazing is the raising of the turret/guns/a couple of seamen/all sorts of artifacts/and the engine....I can't believe I used up a whole evening looking at photos on the internet of it.

Thanks
Steve
Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Rich404

Hi PL_09,

You did a very nice job with this boat!! Congrats!!

Best regards,

-Rich.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Deathwish

Mr pblix did you say you drew those plans up on the http://www.building-model-boats.com/ site. I also seen the pt 109 plan's also which they say that they "drew up for my RC PT 109 project. The plan is for a 1:32 semi scale model. I'm really happy with the way it came out." Wouldn't you just use the one's on http://www.pt-boat.com/ site? Which are free and they have detail ways of making all sort's of the armament's.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:47 PM
pblix

Dear Deathwish,

First, I don't think it's fair to hijack this thread.

Second, please make an effort to use proper English.

Third, use whatever you like. If you can build from Mr. Drain's plans - go for it. If not, I've designed a simplified hull that almost any intermediate level builder can build from scratch. One builder finished a hull in one weekend - planked and all. I'd like to see you do that from Mr. Drain's plans.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Deathwish

1. First of all i think you need to chill out. I wasn't trying to hijack anything. Just trying to help out.
2. I have a learning disability so you can be a little more understanding but "proper English" and who gives you the right to tell people to speak English better. I was born and raised here. I also served my country and been through one war.
3. It's great that you made the plan's for an intermediate level builder. But, as for me am more skilled then that. I can build anything out of nothing, you can say. Look up my forum on my USS Missouri Build.
4. And one more thing, it's all fun and game's until someone get's hurt. LOL
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 AM
pblix

Back to the Monitor:

@ PL09...

...please enlighten us about the guts of your model: RC gear, propulsion, running gear etc? How did you work out the access hatch? Is it steering with the rudder or through thrusters? Looking at the video, I can't imagine getting that sort of response with just rudder, but please tell us...Did you canibalize a different model/toy for components?

@ Deathwish...I'm moving on. I wish you'd do the same.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
pl_09

RC board from micro car, surplus mini motors, using thruster, recharging jack (with hole for emergency battery replacement).
Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Deathwish

It would be my pleasure too.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:19 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

For those interested in Civil War ironclads, you'll want to download Modeling Civil War Ironclad Ships by Steve Lund & Bill Hathaway: http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf

Its free, full of accurate information & tips on how to build from scratch these interesting subjects. Steve offers an excellent rivet & bolt pattern skin for the Ericsson monitors in 1:72 scale which I used on my USS Manhattan build, a Canonicus monitor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45264.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1537716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13705.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	485.0 KB
ID:	1537717  
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Saxondog

Hermill,excellent monitor,seems different as to the placement of the smoke stack and the air intakes. Would you know the history of how the confederate Navy is responsible in part for WWII? 

In short the CSS.Stonewall survived the war taken in to the USN for service,after the 1868 treaty with Japan the group that supported the Emperor and signed the treaty as the recognized government of Japan used the CSS Stonewall to win their civil war,the ship turned the tide and made victory possible for the Emperors forces these being Hirohito's grandfathers forces,the shogunate clans being blown to bits by the CSS Stonewall. 

check it out an interesting piece of history. So if the ship had not helped then the Japanese may have had a different ruling class and changed the history of the later conflict?

http://americancivilwar.com/tcwn/civil_war/Navy_Ships/CSS_Stonewall.html
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Saxondog

Does anyone know where plans for the DREADNOUGHT Classes of the DELAWARE, FLORIDA, ARKANSAS, TEXAS, The only US Dreadnoughts built with 5 and 6 main gun turrets?EspeciallyUSS Texas as she is still with us and the only first generation dreadnought in the world still in intact and on display.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Taubman offers USS Texas plans for both the pre-dreadnought & BB-35. http://www.taubmansonline.com.

Regarding the others, contact Duane Borchers at Marylandsilver. He has USS Arkansas from his huge collection of plans from the National Archives & might be able to get plans for BB-28 & 30. He's an excellent source for ironclad plans as well; David Meagher's drawings that are worth buying just to frame to hang on the wall. I have several of his & they are nice. http://www.marylandsilver.com.

Regarding the Confederate ram CSS Stonewall (IJN Kôtetsu/Azuma), even if the Japanese hadn't purchased her after the war the Brits would have been there right behind us. As you know, the majority of the Japanese pre-dreadnought fleet slid down British ways while the Germans seemed to corner the Russian & Chinese markets. If you'd be interested in plans for Stonewall, you can get them on Taubman.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Saxondog

Thank-you for the information,it is seldom that a first generation US Dreadnought ismodelledin any scale. These ships were cuttingedgetechnologiesand were the instrument of national policy for many countries. I would like to build in the same scale 1 of each class from South Carolina to Tennessee. The USS Texas is truly a national treasure and her treatment by the park service has been exceptional,beginning with the refit in the 1980's to thereplacementof the cement decks with the original wooden type decks. Her bottom is sound and she floats instead of lying in the mud as she did for many years.

It is unfortunate that more of our nations fine ships have not been preserved, thankfully theIowaclasssuper-dreadnoughtshave all found homes with the pending birth for the Iowa these fine ships will be preserved for future generations.

Saxondog
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38871.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1555466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64522.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1555467