Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Traveling to the UK

I have gotten involved in RC boating recently (electric scale: tugs, pleasure craft, etc.), live in Florida and, as we are apt to point out (whether you want to hear it or not), it's a great place for RC boating. I have built the Dumas Jersey City and will soon start on the Model Slipway Assurance.

I am planning a trip to London (UK) from 6 June to 18 June and would like to visit as many shops, museums, trade shows, exhibitions, club events, etc. relevant to my new hobby as possible. Are there any suggestions you can provide along the lines of my interests? I am accompanying my wife (who will be on a business trip) so during the week I will be completely free to travel in the London environs or further if necessary. I will not have a car, am familiar with public transport of all kinds in the UK and could also travel virtually anywhere in the UK if an event or place warranted it. Weekends are also possible as my wife is extremely supportive of my hobby.

So, please get back to me as soon as you can with your thoughts or, if you are not able to help me, perhaps you can recommend someone else to contact.

Thanks very much.

Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Traveling to the UK

Go to this link for Cornwall Model Boats "www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk". I know they are in Treknow, Cornwall but have no idea where that is in relation to London. Perhaps an email to them with your intentions will get you information to a brick and mortor address. I order from them occasionally and know others who do, they are very nice people and quite knowledgeable.

You may want to try JoTiKa Ltd., Model Marine Warehouse, Hadzor, Droitwich, England. Their web site is http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024...okit_Front.htm. There is even a map of their location on their website.

A third suggestion is Westbourne Models and Kingston Mouldings, their website is "www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=585". Their shop has got to be fantastic. If you go there on the web and browse the different pictures they post, look in the background at their shop. I don't know if it is large or small, but it has to be packed. They are located at 411 Ringwood Road, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset BH12 4LX, Tel/Fax: +44 (0)1202-744716.

Hope you have a great time in and around London.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like a great trip...enjoy...I am jealous...RcTugger
    Every day is another Saturday

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ken Rifkin
    I have gotten involved in RC boating recently (electric scale: tugs, pleasure craft, etc.), live in Florida and, as we are apt to point out (whether you want to hear it or not), it's a great place for RC boating. I have built the Dumas Jersey City and will soon start on the Model Slipway Assurance.
    I am planning a trip to London (UK) from 6 June to 18 June and would like to visit as many shops, museums, trade shows, exhibitions, club events, etc. relevant to my new hobby as possible. Are there any suggestions you can provide along the lines of my interests? I am accompanying my wife (who will be on a business trip) so during the week I will be completely free to travel in the London environs or further if necessary. I will not have a car, am familiar with public transport of all kinds in the UK and could also travel virtually anywhere in the UK if an event or place warranted it. Weekends are also possible as my wife is extremely supportive of my hobby.
    So, please get back to me as soon as you can with your thoughts or, if you are not able to help me, perhaps you can recommend someone else to contact.
    Thanks very much.
    Ken
    I would talk with some of the UK locals that are on this board. Give Mart (MARTNO1FAN ) a try he might be able to get you sorted out. If you do get a chance to meet Mart see if you can sneek a hull back with you to FL Mart if you reading this HINT HINT, Wink Wink.....

cheers,
    Leo
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know they are in Treknow, Cornwall but have no idea where that is in relation to London.
    Looking at a map, its a long long way, more so on public transport.   I recently spent some time with a son in London.  Coming home, from Euston to Preston (240+ miles), 2 hours.  The remaining 20 mile part was over an hour, including waiting for the connection.
    In London, theres the  Imperial War Museum, HMS Belfst, Cutty Sark, the Golden Hind replica, and the British Museum still has its charm.  A trip on the Thames river bus is a must do.
    For events, have a look on modelboatmayhem.  They have an events section, and a strong UK bias, being a UK site.