Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

A good beginner boat kit?

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

A good beginner boat kit?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:05 PM
snipermaster
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good beginner boat kit?

whats a good beginnger boat kit? I was thinking either the dumas 41' coast gaurd or the USS WhiteHall. Is either one of these easy to do for a first timer or is there someother one that is good for first timers but also that can add scale looks to it as well.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:37 PM
rctugger
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: A good beginner boat kit?

If you like tugs, you might look at the Dumas Carol Moran...18 inches lots of detail...2 piece plastic hull...good rc characteristics. If you want an atr there is the Atlantic tug....look at some of the Alantic tug threads or search "atlantic tug" on this site for how folks have modified them. I have built the Dumas Coast Guard 41 and it is a bit of work to complete....dual motors, dual props, gear reduction, etc.

rctugger
Old 08-28-2009, 05:45 PM
rcshipyard

I seems that everyone I talk to about this subject has a different opinion. But to make a project worth your time, it needs to reflect your favorite boating subject and your current skill level? In general, a plastic (fiberglass, GRP, etc) hull and a stick built superstructure generally provide enough challenge for the first time modeler. Be sure that the model you choose comes with all of the running gear you need.

As for the models you mentioned here...

Whitehall - I saw a finished Whitehall at a Regatta two years ago. I was quite impressed with the looks and the way it ran. In spite of its small size, I think it would be a good choice for a first warship project.

Dumas Coast Guard - This is an all wood project. A great looking boat when finished. Since it is a painted hull, any flaws in the woodwork can be easily hidden with epoxy and paint. The same holds true for the Crocket Gun Boat as well.

Others to consider - Midwest Products. The Fireboat is a bit tight on the insides if you add a pump for the monitors. I would steer away from that one and select the Liberty Tug. I have seen many of the tugs in action and not only do they run well, the owners have a lot of fun figuring how to individualize them. As for Midwest's other products, the Lobster boat is a great looking model as well as its stablemate, the Cranberry Isle Lobster Yacht.

The plan here is to get some other members to add to the list here so you can do your own research..

Have fun deciding and let us know what you chose to build.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:42 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Then there is the universal good first boat, the Revell Corvette. Big enough to impress and get both hands in while building, easy to convert to RC, small enough for easy handling and low enough price so that its not a disaster it it all goes belly up.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:01 PM
rcshipyard

Revell Corvette

That is a worthy choice. I have seen enough Lindberg PT109s to last a while. (I have one as well) The corvette is a bit less common and easier to add RC gear.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:52 PM
snipermaster

ORIGINAL: rctugger

If you like tugs, you might look at the Dumas Carol Moran...18 inches lots of detail...2 piece plastic hull...good rc characteristics. If you want an atr there is the Atlantic tug....look at some of the Alantic tug threads or search ''atlantic tug'' on this site for how folks have modified them. I have built the Dumas Coast Guard 41 and it is a bit of work to complete....dual motors, dual props, gear reduction, etc.

rctugger
it says on towerhobbies that it can either be single or double screw.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
rctugger

Sniper...yes you can build the Coast Guard either single or twin...your choice. This is true for most any boat you build except the really small ones.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:01 PM
snipermaster

i love anything to do with scale looks weather its miltary or so. WHen the Thompson Trawler first came out I wanted that but now I cant find kist for that so I have to find something to take its place.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 PM
rctugger

I agree that the Thompson Trawler is neat. You might keep a watch on EBAY...ever now and then you find one for sale there. I always wanted to build the Thompson also. Dumas made a fiberglass accessory hull fo it for a while. I should have bought one but did not. I do have a couple of the Victory tugs/trawlers plus the accessory fiberglass hull for that. I will probably scratch build some sort of trawler on that fg hull one of these days. I used to own a couple of real life liveaboard trawlers back in my younger days. Great fun. Now it's mostly toy rc tugs.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 PM
flyme2moon
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys.   At one time in my life I had a model boat rental business at a local lake,,   I had 4 of the artisina latina "Hellen's and two  dumas Thompson trawlers....... I sold off the Hellens, but I slill have the Trawlers.......I would like to get the m out of my shop as I need the space for other projects,.....airplanes............   I had posted one of the trawlers here on R/C Universe a while back   anyone interested???? I can post it again .............  I almost forgot ,  these are the fibreglass hulls  about 37"  long ....... these hulls are no longer in production