Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dumas Mr Darby - continue or sell/trade?

Hey Scale Boat Builders. I have an original Mr. Darby 48" TUG that I bought thru Tower in 1993. I started the construction of the deck, and even installed a Graupner "Bow Thruster" system. Very little has actually been completed, then I went back into Airplanes. this has been wrapped in plastic to keep it clean and protected. I also have the original hardware kit (Dual props, etc.)
    NOW, my dilemma is this: Do I build it to completion, or offer it for sale to someone who really wants to do it justice? I'd rather keep it than sell it to some 'Ebayer' looking to profit.
    I will post pics really soon.
    I truly am on the fence about this. I'd love to see it completed, but I use my build time for scale aircraft lately. HMMMMMM.
    Some Preachers play Golf, I would rather FLY RC!
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #74
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18
    NECPO #75 (North East Classic Pattern Organization)
    Vintage R/C Society #1016

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Dumas Mr Darby - continue or sell/trade?

Red Jeepster,

You sound like myself to a degree. I'm not back into planes but I enjoy building. You apparently enjoy building "scale" aircraft which takes time and skill. IF you are willing to divert some of that time into building the Mr. Darby then by all means keep it and build it. If, on the other hand, you are adamant about the scale aircraft and really don't wish to dable in watercraft, offer it for sale here.

I will tell you right up front I would be interested in the Mr. Darby because it is the original 48" model, it is a unique Tug that can be continually upgraded with scale features as time goes on and I enjoy building boats but since my funds are somewhat limited I probably would not be able to buy from you - just being honest and up front. What I would like and what I can afford are always two diffrent things but I acept it and don't cry over "spilt milk".

Hope I've helped you in some way to make a decision.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think I am going to pull the Darby out of "dry-dock" and take a good look at what lies ahead. Maybe that will give me the shot-in-the-arm I need to get a game plan for her.
    I wouldn't even begin to know what a good/fair selling price would be. Maybe someone here has an idea?
    I do know I paid a bunch in '93 - but that isn't really relevant in 2011.
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Red,

You don't sound very convincing that you want to actually build it. If this boat is not an interest of yours then sell it. Why build something that you don't want to build? It will likely take a long time to complete whereas you could spend that same time doing something that you enjoy.

The boat is still not "In the box" and was partially started. This can be a bit unattractive to some potential buyers. The time value of money obviously changed therefore a Darby in 2011 money is higher than in 1990's cash. I think that if you sold the boat today for what you paid for it in the 90's would be a fair price in today's market value. This is keeping in mind that the boat was started and not completed. (consider it depreciation)

Try postingthe boat in RCUniverse's and RCGroups selling section and see what happens. This is so that you give fellow modellers the first dibs on the boat. If you don't get any bites in these classified sections, then sell it on e-Bay with that amount as a reserve.

I hope this helps you a bit further.

-Rich.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Rich,
    I think you're right about my true desire not being 100% at building this one. I will list it here and RCGroups. Ebay would be a last resort as I do want a modeler to have first chance at it.
    It can be a very nice project if cared for, and done properly. Nothing would bug e more thn to have it go to some Ebayer that knows zip about the hobby, nor cares to build. But as usual, one cannot have conditions like that imposed on anything - wouldn't be right.
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

An original Dumas Darby with the originally supplied running gear is worth more that $1000..However ..fetching that price or better is another story.

I own a Darby myself ..If you didnt get the pittman motors ..You well have to source them out or get decent brushless replacements,possibly a gear/belt reduction gear. The 3.5 in 4 feather screws put out alot of thrust. She can haul both my kids around a pond no problem .

For power I use a 12v Lawn tractor battery and still have another 40lbs of lead ballast.
    Mine has the pittman motors 3:1 with twin Mtroniks ESC 20A,using V-tail mixing..I dont have a bow thruster.

Theres lots to consider...Keep us posted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I do have the original Pittman motors, as well as 2 other very well built 12V motors which I may use. My intention was to put in a car battery, and let that be my ballast weight as per the manual. As I look at all the parts I have, and the electrical items I intended to put into this, I do get a bit of excitement for completing the build.
    Lighting, rigging, etc will be pretty fun to do.
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I estimate that Darby weighs 60+lbs to her waterline..Get a garden trolly to haul your gear to the pond.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,

Over the years I have built three of these boats in varying renditions. Very nice model with a ton of possibilities. Yes, even with a garden tractor battery for propulsion and a separate battery for the electronics (yes it's overkill but just my preferance)you will need ballast. 60 pounds is about right to get it to the waterline. There was another forum here some time ago that was experimenting with watertight bulkheads and pumping ballast on to or off of the boat. Interesting concept but I don't know if they ever achieved the goal. To get to 60 pounds you would need a little over 8 gallons of freshwater @7.42 pounds per gallon, minus the weight of the boat itself of course. If anyone knows how the experiment worked out please chime in here.

Anyway, enjoy the kit...it's a beaut!
    Pete
    I\'\'\'\'m sorry Spanky, I have to live my own life- Alfalfa

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So? Did you keep the boat and continue building or did you sell it? Sorry if I missed it in the post.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I haven't done either! It is still awaiting me to decide what to do. There is a huge possibility that I will just sell it. I had hoped to get some pics of it, but that hasn't happened yet. I guess I need someone to prod me into getting it ready for sale. Pics and all details.
    I have it stored well, dust proofed wrapped, and the original box. BTW this is all original DUMAS stuff, not aftermarket.
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is sold now.
    Hellcat Brotherhood #18