Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

help - upgrade to counter-rotating propeller

I am trying to upgrade my coast guard boat to a counter rotating propeller.
    previous set are two propeller rotate at same direction, shafts have same thread, want to change to counter-rotation ones.

one concern though, my shaft thread are same direction, does it matter to install thecounter-rotation propellers?
    As one of the shaft will run to "release" propeller one will "tight" propeller. Are all the R/H and L/H built to same thread direction?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: help - upgrade to counter-rotating propeller

For scale boats you can just use a lock nut to keep the prop secure regardless of rotation direction.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: help - upgrade to counter-rotating propeller

Lock nut is good, there should be one anyway, or else there is a good chance of unwinding a prop when you go in reverse.  The idea is that the lock nut is wound up against the threaded item (usually another nut) that is to be locked - there have been real world cases where this was not understood with tragic consequences.  Use of thread locking compound helps as well.
    If the coupler at the other end of the shaft is threaded on, a locxknut will help there, as well.  I have seen a fast moving boat lose not only the prop, but the entire shaft like that.  The shaft unwound from the coupler, at which point the boat was being driven by its other two shafts and the drag through the water over the dead prop was enough to pull the now loose shaft out.  Since there was no rudder in the way, it came right out, and was never found again.