Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

An outlandish looking WW2 battleship

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: An outlandish looking WW2 battleship

The Nelson class pair of battleships were designed with the three main turrets together to increase the thickness of the armored belt while shortening the length of that belt. By putting the turrets together, the main armored section of the hull was shortened to include the main and secondary magazines and machinery areas, leaving the bow and stern areas relatively unarmored while keeping the ship's displacement at a reasonable level and giving a speed of 21 knots, comparable with a WWI battleship. This class was also the only class of British battleship to be armed with the 16" gun. The only other classes of ships to use this arrangement were the French Dunkerque and Richelieu classes, launched 10 and 14 years later.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh yes, but too bad it did not get any respect & was called " Rodnol" ( name given to fleet oilers) of the " Cherry Tree Class" ( cut down by Washington) .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw67021.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	1666102  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And due to the ship's profile, that can be easily understood. What must also be remembered is the Nelson class had the only gun in the British fleet capable of piercing Bismarck class battleship's armored belt. Had it come down to a ship on ship slugfest, at close range both would have been brought down to burning wrecks though, at the same time, the Bismarck was 10 knots faster so this wouldn't have ever happened as the Bismarck would have been able to control the when and where of any engagement.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What makes the model in the youtube video waddle in some of the shots? Especially in reverse...
    John KaBang

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For convenience, the turret motor was installed right under the deck, ' high up' inside the hull. To move the 6 gears used to rotate all the main turrets, the jerking recoil causes therefore, slight sideway sway, which of course, could be counteracted by more ballast at the hull bottom if so desired or if I have more space.