Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

WW2 German Aircraft carrier in RC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

WW2 German Aircraft carrier in RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 PM
pl_09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WW2 German Aircraft carrier in RC

[8D]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLTNGjMRnfQ
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Rich404

Default RE: WW2 German Aircraft carrier in RC

Hi PL09,

It's cool, but seems really small...Tell us more about it!

-R.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 PM
pl_09

You are right. Couldn't frind a bigger scale, so have to settle fror Revelle's 1/720. The small size & high c.g. caused quite a bit of problem on not enough bouyancy & stability. Forced to use microZ RC car board plus cellular phone lithium battary to barely manage to finish it.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Rich404

Hi PL 09,
Wow, 1/720 is really small. That’s cool though that you are able to power it with a cell phone battery! The CG can be corrected with small weights along the keel of the ship. That should help with the buoyancy & stability. I have a 1/87 Ocean Liner that without weights it cannot sit on water without wanting to roll over. I think it’s the tendency with these long narrow hulls. I’m sure once you start playing with ballast she will be perfect! Do you have any ideas yet for ballast?

How long is the ship?
-Rich.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:04 PM
pl_09

Unluckily, that's already the maximum load as indicated by water at red line with only the battery acting as ballast & everything reduced to a minimal. Anymore weight will make it U-boat Graf Zeppelin
Old 10-21-2011, 01:19 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

At first look I didn't realise that it was so small, so thats a terrific job, both building and painting.
I did read on another forum that one solution for displacement and stability was to use NiMH AA cells in a waterproof tube mounted under the hull.  Doing this added stability, but, since the tube/cell arrangement weighed very little more than the water it displaced, it didn't move the waterline up.
Two torpedo styled tubes, side by side, could forrm a stand.........
I don't think that the length/narrowness of the hull is a factor, rather, the height of the weight above the waterline.  Sure a very wide boat will appear more stable because it needs to tip further before the centre of gravity gets past the point where the buoyancy on that side can resist it, but a narrow hull can be just as stable with the weight lower.
Model liners tend to have an awful lot of plastic a long way above the waterline - I remember the Airfix Canberra had so much that it couldn't be made to float anywhere below deck level, let alone upright without assistance.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 PM
pl_09

Very true, but somehow to a die-hard modeller, he might equate that to realisticity compromised. So I have abandoned that idea.[&o]
Old 10-24-2011, 01:53 PM
DUKWsInARow

PL_09

One of the ways you can deal with the issue of insufficient buoyancy verses a set waterline, is to alter the waterline.

Usually, this alteration is hard to notice on a model while providing needed additional buoyancy. Such an alteration would be especially hard to notice on a ship that was never completed and, quite possibly, could have undergone the same ‘adjustment’ prior to completion had it ever been completed.

That being said, I’m very impressed with this model, plus your models of the Pennsylvania, Texas, and the Nelson.

In the near future, once I finish some of my projects, I hope to build a 1/350 model of the Kearsarge LHD-3 and was wondering if you could share some of your techniques and tricks with me…
Old 10-25-2011, 03:17 PM
pl_09

Very true, because I already cheated a little that way on the Graf Zeppellin with addition of a small piece of plastic at its bottom.
I am currently working on one, which is worse, whose waterline is 1/5 of the hull's height, namely, the good old Yorktown by Revell of 1/485 swcale