Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are there any 1:350 CVA’s or SCB-27 upgrades for the Trumpeter Essex?

My 1:96 RC model of the USS Kearsarge, the screw sloop launched in 1861, is progressing nicely.

While looking for additional pictures of the prototype, I stumbled across 1:350 models of LHD-1 (sister ship to the current Kearsarge LHD-3), Kearsarge BB-5, and CV-9 (sister ship to the Kearsarge CV-33). Upon seeing this, I began thinking about how cool it would be to create a fleet of RC Kearsarges, depicting each ship to carry this name.

While researching CV-33, an Essex class carrier to carry the name Kearsarge, I quickly discovered that while this carrier didn’t do anything noteworthy as a regular Essex ‘CV’, her aircraft performed more than 6,000 sorties in the Korean War, but this is after she received an SCB-27 upgrade in which significant visual alterations were made to her island and defensive armament and changed her designation to CVA.

Obviously, I want to construct a model of the Kearsarge in the configuration in which she contributed most to our nations security, so I was wondering if there were any 1:350 CVA carriers, or an kit that would allow me to upgrade a CV kit to be a CVA…

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Are there any 1:350 CVA’s or SCB-27 upgrades for the Trumpeter Essex?

Every model of the Essex/Ticonderoga class carriers I've seen were either in their WWII or angled deck configurations. What you COULD do is see if you can get a set of plans for the island and scratch build a replacement for the one supplied with the kit. Most of the rest of the changes could be made using pictures as a guide and plastic sheet. Another option would be to find one of the angled deck versions of the Lexingtion that Revell produced and use it as a guide since you will have to do some patch and repair on the flight deck to remove the four twin turret mountings.