Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Are there any 1:350 CVA’s or SCB-27 upgrades for the Trumpeter Essex?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Are there any 1:350 CVA’s or SCB-27 upgrades for the Trumpeter Essex?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 06:11 PM
DUKWsInARow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any 1:350 CVA’s or SCB-27 upgrades for the Trumpeter Essex?

My 1:96 RC model of the USS Kearsarge, the screw sloop launched in 1861, is progressing nicely.

While looking for additional pictures of the prototype, I stumbled across 1:350 models of LHD-1 (sister ship to the current Kearsarge LHD-3), Kearsarge BB-5, and CV-9 (sister ship to the Kearsarge CV-33). Upon seeing this, I began thinking about how cool it would be to create a fleet of RC Kearsarges, depicting each ship to carry this name.

While researching CV-33, an Essex class carrier to carry the name Kearsarge, I quickly discovered that while this carrier didn’t do anything noteworthy as a regular Essex ‘CV’, her aircraft performed more than 6,000 sorties in the Korean War, but this is after she received an SCB-27 upgrade in which significant visual alterations were made to her island and defensive armament and changed her designation to CVA.

Obviously, I want to construct a model of the Kearsarge in the configuration in which she contributed most to our nations security, so I was wondering if there were any 1:350 CVA carriers, or an kit that would allow me to upgrade a CV kit to be a CVA…
Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Are there any 1:350 CVA’s or SCB-27 upgrades for the Trumpeter Essex?

Every model of the Essex/Ticonderoga class carriers I've seen were either in their WWII or angled deck configurations. What you COULD do is see if you can get a set of plans for the island and scratch build a replacement for the one supplied with the kit. Most of the rest of the changes could be made using pictures as a guide and plastic sheet. Another option would be to find one of the angled deck versions of the Lexingtion that Revell produced and use it as a guide since you will have to do some patch and repair on the flight deck to remove the four twin turret mountings.