Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Under Deck Repair 1/8 Scale Hydroplane

Hey All,
    I just picked up a used 1/8th scale wood hydro yesterday. It is over ten years old, has been raced hard and It does appear to need some repairs now. See list of issues here.

1). The deck behind the sponsons squeaks when pressure is applied. Almost like the deck is not fully securred to the bulkhead underneath.

2). There is loose material in the hull rattling around. Most noticable when I pick the boat up and move it. The material sounds like its traveling down the full lenghth of the boat.

3). Also the deck that joins the non-trip and the right sponson (directly above the turn fin) was broken heavily and glassed back together.

Based off this, I know i need to strip the decking off and get inside the hull to check and repair any damage. What is the best way to do this? Saw or perhaps a chemical or solution that would disolve the epoxy between the deck and the bulkhead? I'm just not sure. Its my first attempt. Overall,I'm happy with the boat and I'm sure given a little TLCit will be back to its old self. It won a few champoinships about ten years ago Thanks

RE: Under Deck Repair 1/8 Scale Hydroplane

A few images would help to see what the problems are. Dan.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A heat gun and putty knife will work. Heat will soften the epoxy and the putty knnife will separate the joints by working it into the seams, followed by slowly moving the knife along the length of the seam. If the boat's deck is loose as far as the internal framing, it should come off fairly quick

Sounds good. Thanks HJ. Is it recommended to apply the original decking back on after I empty the bulkheads of material and make repairs or is it better to cut new skins? For the most part, the old decking is in good condition. Some minor cracks in paint here and there. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Plan on repainting as the heat will probably take off the old color coat. The problem with reusing the old deck is that if it's not lined up perfect, you're going to have to pull it off and redo it. You might be better off by playing it safe and using the original deck for a template. If you find the wood is in good shape and want to try reusing it, be my guest.

Has anyone ever tried doing under deck repairs by removing the belly of the boat instead of the deck. Just curious as this may save the paint job on the deck (its easier to paint the bottom of the boat as most are allwhite). Plus, it may be easier replacing the bottom of the boat with new wood vs the decks. Not sure if this would compromise the shear strenght of the boat too much during the restoration. Thx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can pull the bottom off but you won't have access to the inside of the sponsons. The only other problem is you will have to redo the stuffing tube and strut to make sure they are aligned properly. If the radio box is integral to the boat, you will need to replace the mounts, same with the engine mounts if they are through the bottom, they will need to be aligned and reset with the hull.

Good point. I'll probably just go through the decks then. Thanks HJ!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, any updates?