Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Scale Warship Questions

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Scale Warship Questions

Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Orcatkt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale Warship Questions

Before I start, Iwould like to blame everyone else for my latest idea. Iam sure if it wasnt for all the wonderful looking boats being built Iwould just not bother. But now that Ihave sold my monster truck my next project seems to be one that will likely end in divorce, and it is all everyone elses fault. Especially Rich404 with his ridiculously good Dauntless.

I have decided to build a 1/96 Arliegh Burke. Iwas thinking of the BaD Models unit as a base. This boat will be built to show the USSRoss, DDG71 as it was configured in 2010. This ship is the last of the Flight 1 Series, and where I spent five of the last six years. But before Ibegin, Iwant to know if there are any known quality concerns with this company. I have seen the Wisconsin they built at the Nauticus, the details were quite amazing. So before Ibegin Ijust want to be sure that Iam throwing my life away on a project that is decent quality.

http://www.badshipmodels.com/destroyers/destroyers.html

Hopefully everyone knows Idont really blame you all... at least not seriously... maybe...

Anyway, if anyone has used this company in the past and has some knowledge Iwould appreciate it before sinking down good money on a kit this size. Speaking of which, this is the perfect excuse to extend my workbench! And buy new tools, especially as Iwant to build adjustable screws for this to give it the nice scale touch.

Thanks for any help you can offer, advice is welcomed!

Duncan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16349.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1698701  
Old 12-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Rich404

Default RE: Scale Warship Questions

Hi Duncan,
That’s a nice sized ship! That’s a great size to do add cool stuff like lights and smoke generators to.. I haven’t heard of that model company before but if it looks anything like their model then you are in business. Even if the model doesn’t have all the details youwant remember that as the builder you have full creative control over the project so anything can be added or made ‘better’. The fact that you spent five years on one of those ships is enough for you to have the passion to make a really cool model ship of a Flight 1 series‘happen’. Any questions that you have will be answered when they come so don’t worry about them now. Once you have the ship, study it and begin the process.
I’m sure your wife will be just fine once she gets used to it. Try to include her on the project and see if you can get her into it too.
-Rich.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Rich404

ORIGINAL: Orcatkt

So before Ibegin Ijust want to be sure that Iam throwing my life away on a project that is decent quality.
Don't worry too much about the quality because you can always make it better by using some original parts as a template and substitute with better materials.. The Dauntless was a box of warped wood when I started but sometimes you have to make lemonade out of lemons.

Enjoy the process and it willbe just fine!

-Rich.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:24 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

I recently acquired a Pro-boat Arleigh Burke. The most beautiful scale DDG82 I've ever seen. Twin screws & rudders all the deckhouses and fittings.
She is moulded plastic 43" hull. Used to be sold by Horizon but now discontinued. She is still available for $329.00 from Amazon. Radio gear available from
from Horizon, including 5100 MaH battery, for about $160.00. Needs 5# ballast but that will be the only expense after the boat and radio.

Ballgunner