Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

scale boat radio needs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

scale boat radio needs

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
mainiac68

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scale boat radio needs

This is about scale boats but directed at radio needs. Not sure if this is the right forum but I wanted scale builders to read it.

I'm just about done refitting my Midwest lobster boat and have started a 56" Tug and need radio gear. With accessories I need at least 4 channels for the lobster boat and 6 would be better. My old 4 channel Futaba crapped out. I have an old Ace Nautical commander AM 5channel (think I can expand it to 7) that I believe can be updated to 2.4ghz (think I saw that somewhere). That will do for the lobster boat.

The tug will require at least 6 to 7 separate functions. What modern 2.4ghz radio would youuse for this scale boat? Do the airplane radios work OK? Typical requirements for channels:

1. proportional for throttle(1 or 2 separate not wy'ed), this tug will be single shaft
  2. proportional forbow thruster
  3. proportional for rudder
  4. switch for lights running
  5. switch for lights work, cabin
  6. switch for pump (ie for bilge)
  7. switch (hmmmm or proportional) for winch towing
  8. gizmo1 (thinking about a smoke generator with fan)
  9. gizmo2 anchor windlass or ???
Perhaps needs can be combined on a channel but more is better. The build is in the planking stage but never too early to solve problems that WILL show up. Lots of switching electronics are out there for a variety of needs but the basic configuration of the radio needs to be right to take advantage of the gear available. All input will be valued and appreciated. Will post pics as the build goes on. Several other projects going on at the same time (fast electric, refitting Bahamut AC sailboat). Thanks in advance. Fred
Old 01-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: scale boat radio needs

You're probably looking at a radio like this one from Futaba:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVCN&P=SM
Old 01-19-2012, 04:56 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

An on board mixer allows two proportional motor controls plus the rudder to be controlled from 2 channels.
The bow thruster could be either an ESC or a switcher for F - off - R on another channel.
The bilge pump is best automatic, and not using a channel at all.
The various light switching could live on one multi way switcher.
Smoke generator is usually permanently on, a fan could work from the motor ESC.
7 & 9, might need a selector as part of the multi switcher above.  
Then its just a question of remembering which knob, stick or button does what.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:10 AM
blizard05

For my lobster boat,I use a hobby king HK-T4A V2 (th on rt) They also have 6 and 8 ch radios WWW.HOBBYKING.COM And yes any 2.4 radio would be OK
Old 01-19-2012, 02:54 PM
mainiac68

[quote]ORIGINAL: mfr02I
An on board mixer allows two proportional motor controls plus the rudder to be controlled from 2 channels.
The bow thruster could be either an ESC or a switcher for F - off - R on another channel.
The bilge pump is best automatic, and not using a channel at all.
The various light switching could live on one multi way switcher.
Smoke generator is usually permanently on, a fan could work from the motor ESC.
7 & 9, might need a selector as part of the multi switcher above.
Then its just a question of remembering which knob, stick or button does what.

Thanks for the input. Do you have a site for an example of the on board mixer and multi switcher?
    [*]The bow thruster will be on an esc for fwd/rev proportional operation.[*]I used a bad example when I said "bilge pump" but it should have one on auto like my full scale boat, not a radio issue though. Did you ever notice that large full scale boats are always pumping water, even when not under way? That's the effect I'm looking for and would like to control it (on/off), like if it was a fire canon.[*]I would like to be able to control the running lights and work lights/cabin lights so need info on a multi switcher for those various light funtions if you have a web site?.[*]Yes the fan could operate on the esc for the throttle. I have more to learn on the smoke generator.[*]Then more multi switcher tasks. I need to know more about those.[/list]I have started looking at radios in the 7 to 9 channel new and used but of course they are all flight oriented. As I look at and operatethe controlsI'm thinking scale boat functions and while it initially seems awkward it would eventually be OK I guess. The multi switcher amd on board mixeryou refer to could ease channel requirements nicely. Thanks for the input! Fred
Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 PM
mainiac68

to blizard05
Thanks for the suggestion. I bought a DX5E Spectrum packaged with the 6 channel receiver from my local hobby shop and I'm going to use it on the lobster boat as well as others. I needed several batteries and some other stuff. I support the local guy when ever I can (when it won't cost me too much extra). Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Multi switcher, not a common item, so they tend to hide beneath the radar a bit.  There is one here http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/...p/tr-rcs7.html  that might do the job/explain things.  If you google for rc switchers, most of the information is for DIY ones, probably because of the small commerial market for them.
I am using a mixer from ACTion, as on http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php  
Works well, but the instructions do need reading.  Have a look round that site, as Dave is a long time modeler, there is plenty of good information in fairly plain English on there.
The water being pumped on 12"/foot ships is usually cooling water for whatever is running, any small pump should do.  Again, since it is a small market, you might have to do your own electronicery to get it working as you want it.  Fire cannons basically need a screen washer pump and a switcher with big enough contacts to do the job, or a relay worked by one of the channels of the multi switcher.