Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Neat Idea; An RC model of an RC ship: Coast Battleship no.4 (BB-4)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Neat Idea; An RC model of an RC ship: Coast Battleship no.4 (BB-4)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:47 PM
DUKWsInARow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neat Idea; An RC model of an RC ship: Coast Battleship no.4 (BB-4)

While “snowed in” two days ago (my weekend job was closed), I was looking at pictures of neat potential models in addition to working on the three models I have going at the moment.

One of the neat prototypes I stumbled across was that of Costal Battleship no.4, a 360ft. long RC ship.

Costal Battleship No.4 is the name given to the USS Iowa (BB-4) after she was converted into a Radio Controlled Target Ship.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear as though there are any RCable models* of the USS Iowa available to be converted into a model of Costal Battleship No.4, but if one does become available, this would make a really neat, if not ironic model.

*There is an Iron Shipwrights 1:350 model of BB-4, but it appears to be a solid resin model and therefore non-RCable (or not easily RCable when there are plenty of better RCable models out there)…

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/s...sh-i/bb4-t.htm

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/04c.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_(BB-4)
Old 11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: Neat Idea; An RC model of an RC ship: Coast Battleship no.4 (BB-4)

Doubt that you'd ever see a large scale kit for a Spanish American era pre-dreadnought but you can always scratch build one.

Plans: www.marylandsilver.com, www.taubmansonline.com

Here's an ongoing 1:48 build in steel http://www.modelshipworld.com/phpBB2...ic.php?t=14927

Not BB-4 but there is another option available for USN pre-dreadnought hulls:

http://battlersconnection.com/html/mississippi.html

Old 11-29-2011, 01:48 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Glencoe did the Oregon, but radio would be a bit of a squeeze.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
DUKWsInARow

Mfr02,

Given how “stripped down” BB-4 was when she was serving as a target ship, the Glencoe Oregon should serve perfectly for this model.

As for installing the necessary RC running gear, I have a friend who constructs 1/400th scale RC models and I can always turn to him for help. That being said, I did use a conventional RC system (micro-servo, speed control, and receiver), as opposed to the gutted small RC cars used by my friend, to RC a 1:64 shrimp boat which I estimate will have similar buoyancy.

Thank you for bringing the Glencoe model to my attention. I’m looking to purchase this model and get started just as soon as I clear my monthly bills.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:03 AM
DUKWsInARow

Greetings guys, I can finally go ahead with this project because I finally managed to win a Glencoe 1:225 USS Oregon!!! I attempted to pick up several others, but someone (I think it was the same guy) kept jumping in in the last :30 seconds to outbid everyone. So, this time I waited until the final :07 seconds to bid.

Anyway, I’m planning to transform this model into an RC model of the ex-USS Iowa, then a target ship named Costal Battleship No.4, as she appeared March 22-23 1923 just prior to her final use as a target ship, during which she sunk in water too deep for salvage parties to mount a recovery operation.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/010446.jpg

At this time, there are several important aspects of her appearance that I’m trying to figure out how to replicate;

#1 The birdcage mast.

Sometime around 1911, a “birdcage mast” was added to the USS Iowa, and I was wondering if any of you knew where I could find a 1:225 (or near 1:225) birdcage mast to reproduce this feature?

#2 The collapsed forward stack.

How can I reproduce the damaged and collapsed forward stack, which seems to have landed on deck, without using brass or other heavy material (remember, this is going to be an RC ship).

#3 The shell holes in the hull and superstructure.

I was wondering how to best reproduce realistic looking shell holes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89398.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1719262  
Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 PM
pl_09

Reply to your question asked: Any RC car can be used. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnt-MBhQSE8 for the simple setup . Theory is to control it like a tank.
Your project is very difficult due to lack of after market ' wire towers '. It is almost impossible to tailormake & yet it is so visible that a sloppy job will definitely ruin your model. If you can pull that thru, I don't think you will find any your other modifications hard. I could only make it BARELY 'something like it' on my vintage dreadnaught after I found a woman's hair curler that has a similar mesh .
Old 01-31-2012, 10:05 PM
DUKWsInARow

Hi PL_09,

I’ve been trying to contact you directly using the RCUniverse e-mail and youtube’s e-mail system, but don’t think that my messages have been getting through.

I watched the video you provided and am left with several questions;

First of all, how do you get a system like this to operate a ships rudder? I’ve always employed a servo for this purpose and can easily transform the rotating motion of the servo to the rotating motion of a rudder, but the video makes no mention of how to use a system like this to turn a rudder. Do you keep the toy car’s steering system in tact along with the RC card and rig it to steer the ship?

Since you have experience with this, which RC car do you consider the best “donor” for the RC card (I’m sure that some are better than others).

Finally, do any of these systems offer “gradual” steering and acceleration, instead of the “all on/all off” control of most of the RC ‘TOYS’???

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tyler
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
pl_09

Buy a STUNT car( has no front steering axle, but 2 wheel motors at the back). Left motor to left propeller/ right motors to rt. propeller. Leave the rudder alone. Slower speed by few tapping on stick. Bigger RC board give better range. Steering is better than servo rudder steering while speed control is lousy.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:41 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: pl_09

Buy a STUNT car( has no front steering axle, but 2 wheel motors at the back). Left motor to left propeller/ right motors to rt. propeller. Leave the rudder alone. Slower speed by few tapping on stick. Bigger RC board give better range. Steering is better than servo rudder steering while speed control is lousy.
Ah, "manually pulsed low repetition rate PWM"
Good lateral thinking.