Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Midwest Boothbay~ How difficult to build?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Midwest Boothbay~ How difficult to build?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:11 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Boothbay~ How difficult to build?

I am looking for my first boat build and I have always liked this boat. I have been building airplanes for years and I have never built a boat. Is this a good one for starters? I could not find much info on this striking boat!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 AM
LtDoc

Default RE: Midwest Boothbay~ How difficult to build?

lear31A,
If you can build a flyable plane, there's no reason you can't build a 'BoothBay'! It'll be a bit different than a plane, but you would expect that, right? Those instructions are meant to be read, then followed (at least fairly closely anyway). Build the thing 'between' your ears before starting on the bench, it helps. One of, if not the first thing to do is build a boat stand! Really does make things easier. There are one or two changes I'd make if I were to build another. They aren't 'biggies' though. I'm not happy about how the rudder servo is positioned and connected, and I'd get someone else to do the @#$ fibreglassing! I'm allergic to the resin. More of a personal problem than a fault with the boat.
The two 'biggies' are no holes below the water line (except for the rudder and drive shaft), and don't glue your thumb to your nose (more than once).
The 'Booth Bay' is a simple, straight forward build. The biggest problem is with terminology, not the building. Good for a 'noob'! Have fun.
- 'Doc
Old 04-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I went to a scale ship regatta and Midwest was there and had a Booth Bay on display in a partially built state. It looked so easy that even I could do it and I'm terrible with putting anything wood together! If getting one, I'd load up on CA glue and accelerator as there is a lot of planking to be done.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 AM
lear31A

I appreciate the info guys! Lets see what happens. I will try to keep my thumb away from my nose.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Ron Olson

Don't scratch anything else with sticky fingers either! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 04-19-2007, 01:23 PM
LtDoc

Lear',
Everybody already knows that modelers are sort of 'different' anyway, so don't worry about the thumb/nose thingy. When you go to the pond, look for all the 'raw' places on the modelers... now you know what they are.
- 'Doc
Old 04-19-2007, 02:43 PM
lear31A

Doc,
Thats funny and you are absolutely correct sir! I was over at a friends today and has an arsonal of Dumas boats new in the box. My choices are the Osprey, Miss something tug, or the Commander cabin cruiser. He had several others, but these appealed to me. He said take whatever I want for a nominal fee (good price). What do you think between those options? The tug is the 26" and looks great but is missing the instructions, so I would need to go on a hunt if I get that one. I am obviously new to boats and It is refreshing to see that you boating guys are just as helpful.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:45 PM
dauntlessfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Cranberry Isle (similar to Boothbay) was my first scale RC boat build and I'd definately recommend either kit. They are from Midwest's "Success Series" which is designed for simplified building with great results.

The Cranberry came with full size plans and a 70 page instruction book (much better than the two page typed instructions that came with my Dumas Dauntless!). They walk you through every single step with illustrations (about 240 steps, to be more specific). I've attached a couple scans to give you an idea of how they look.

Most of the running hardware is included (everything but the radio and motor if I remember correctly). So you won't have to hunt around for parts. I was able to build it while living in a small apartment at the kitchen table. With just one prop and a direct drive it's a basic drivetrain, but still went pretty fast with a Mabuchi surplus motor, two 7.2v packs and an r/c car speed control. I did experiment with a geared drive but it just made more noise and less speed.

A quick build summary - You'll construct the basswood keel and position the stuffing box first, pinning them to the full size plans to ensure a true fit. Then a simplified (but effective) deck and frame are constructed next. The parts are notched and come together easily. I remember using balsa strips instead of the kit's basswood for the chines where I had to do a lot of bending and sanding because it's easier to shape without breaking. After that you'll cut and install the balsa planking for the hull. The planking uses large sheets to keep it simple. The bow of the hull is two big blocks of balsa that you'll simply sand down to shape, also really easy with good results. From there you'll fiberglass the hull with the included fiberglass cloth, then construct the rudder, cabin and boat details. On mine I made the rudder from brass instead of wood. When you polish the brass it looks really nice on display. The wood is good enough quality to stain the deck if you wish. In fact, the kit even came with real mahogony pieces for some of the deck details.

The build was so easy I kept the plans and hope to scratchbuild a larger version of it some day. I know a guy who used the plans from another "Sucess Series" model to build a boat so big you had to put it on a flatbed trailer to get it to the pond.

Man, I miss that boat. Mabye I should buy another kit. Hummmm....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb85504.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	668110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20558.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	668111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90623.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	668112  
Old 04-19-2007, 07:31 PM
LtDoc

lear31A,
I'm not familiar with the other two Midwest boats, just the 'BoothBay', so, If they are all in the Midwest's "Success Series", I'd say pick the one you like the most. You might contact Midwest about instructions, you really do want those.
- 'Doc
Old 04-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Ron Olson

If you have problems with building a boat or allergies associated with working with fiberglass you could consider this one: http://www.midwestproducts.com/item_...sp?item_id=107
Old 04-19-2007, 08:47 PM
lear31A

They are Dumas boats. The midwest ones look like the ticket however. I will contact Dumas to get the instruction book. I am buying all three from the guy and built the easier on first. They are definately a box'o'wood! I sure appreciate you guys suggestions and pics. I will take a few pics along the way to help the next fella

Name:	Db86328.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	668303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38172.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	668304  
Old 04-19-2007, 08:52 PM
lear31A

Here are the other two I have.

http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=351
http://www.dumasestore.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=186
Old 04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Lear,
I built a Cranberry Isle yacht a few years back. Simple, simple, simple. Not only that, it looks nice too. If you would like to have a look-see, I do have a few pictures of it in my gallery to check out.

Pete
Old 04-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Ron Olson

The quality of the Midwest boats is very good, I wish that I could say the same about Dumas kits but it's your choice.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 PM
lear31A

OK, I am jumping in feet first. Here is a pic of about thirty minutes after sanding and cutting the parts out of the sheet. I agree about the quality. I am sure Midwest has to be better. But, this was VERY cheap to get my feet wet. I have taken you guys advise and ordered the lobster boat. It takes me a while to decide on something, but when I do, look out b/c I am full steam ahead.

Name:	Gd93903.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	668396  
Old 04-21-2007, 08:53 PM
lear31A

Well, it is starting to look similar to one of those things you would find in the bottom of a fishtank. Except, I think the fish would probably not enter this one! This is after about ten hours or so. Of course, 30 minutes was figuring out that a "Stuffing Box" is actually after all NOT square. This is fun

Name:	Qo40923.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	669493  
Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 PM
azcaptain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my version of the Midwest Cranberry Isle Boat. I did some "kitbashing", was fun and easy to do. It just takes patience, patience, patience............

AZCaptain

Name:	Db84257.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	674974  
Old 04-29-2007, 09:23 PM
lear31A

Wow, that is beautiful. Hopefully mine will at least float when I am done. I have started on the lobster boat. Thanks for the pic.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
6789boat

Any one willing to sell a midwest cranberry isle lobster yacht for the right price. If so please email me at [email protected]
Old 11-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out my complete build thread 8 posts down Midwest Boothbay Lobster boat build. I document the complete build. Should help you out.
Thanks,
Fred Check6
Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM
blizard05

If you can open the box,you should be able to build it
Old 11-30-2011, 12:43 PM
blizard05

My lobster boat

Name:	Vt57382.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1693502  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:15 PM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also a plane guy and took the plunge so to speak into boating by building two scratch built lobster boats based upon Midwest's plans. very easy to build. The yellow one is mine and the blue one is my 8 year old daughter's.

Name:	Vt56294.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1695826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67901.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	1695827  
Old 12-05-2011, 05:19 PM
wayne d
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is a build thread that i done on the scratch built one's. starts at page three.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10581156
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 AM
Captain Action

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good day
Are plans available for the upper deck and cabin of the Cranberry Isle boat ?
I have the Boothbay lobster boat and want to build a second one with the Cranberry cabin.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.