Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Squeal screech whine from my ESC

I bought a Mtroniks Mirror Marine 25 speed control a while ago for my 30" Midwest lobster bought refurbish. I finally got it installed inthe boat and the forward and reverse are correct and proportional. The radio is a Spectrum DX5e with a AR600X receiver. The receiver is about 3 inches from the ESC. The motor is a Graupner Speed500 with appropriate capacitors installed (pos. to can, neg to can and pos. to neg). The problem is the horrendous squeal when I move the throttle off neutral in either direction. It's an electronic noise, not a mechanical one (like prop shaft) It continues up through the throttle range and starts to disipate when getting close to full throttle. Wow, it is loud! I have a green and red light on the esc when power is turned on. I am not using the BEC option, I'm using a Tenergy 6V 2000mah NiMH receiver battery and two ONYX 7.2V 2000mah NiMH drive batteries. I pulled the red wire from the esc connector and folded back and taped to secure and cover. Can you suggest what I might not have done correctly or is there a problem with the esc? I remember when this noise was an issue when trying to use a speed control designed for a fast electric in a scale boat but we must be beyond those issues these days. I have reworked this boat (she's over 20 years old!) and added features to make it unique and a pleasure to operate and observe. This type of noise is obviously unacceptable. Anyone have/had this problem? If not, whatare you running for an ESC? Help!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Squeal screech whine from my ESC

Its a PWM ESC.  The noise is from the motor windings, acting like a loudspeaker to the pulses from the ESC.  A different motor might be quieter, a different make of ESC might work at a different frequency that the motor doesn't resonate with.  Mounting the motor resiliently might dampen the sound level.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah any ESC i've ever used has some sort of weird high pitched noise at the lowest speeds. Just learned to live with it I guess.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With your boat on a stand so the propeller can spin free and the motor compartment open. Turn everything on and nudge the throttle up a tiny bit so the prop is turning slowly. Now you use a length a plastic tube, one end near your ear and the other near the Electronic Speed Control, and have a listen. Move the end of the tube that is in the boat around see if you can find the spot where the noise is the loudest.

I would hazard a guess that the motor is the culprit here.

But this is an easy way to find out for sure.
    John KaBang

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the input. The noise is from the motor windings. Just to help me understand this I set up the gear on a board and proceeded to run 10 differant motors. And the noisey results were all the same in varying degrees of volume. Itried everything from a small hobby motor to a Astro Flight 05 to alarge870 motor.An inquiry to Mtroniks reveals that most/all motors will give the same result. Pretty poor results I'ld say. After spending hundreds of hours and hundreds of dollars on a scale boat only to have it sound like a screaming Banshee is most disappointing. Scale operation involves more than just a proportional throttle. I just don't understand why anyone would settle for something like this Viper Marine 25 to power something you've worked so hard on, or why the company would market it so. The web site says this is a "no nonsense" esc for scale boats. You must have to pay extra for the "nonsense" of quiet operation. If all the Mtroniks ESC's are based on the same technology I'm done with those. I will begin my search to rectify this problem with another product. This Marine 25ESC will be relegated to the bowels of the 56" tug to operate a bow thruster. I've read good things about a product from Action Electronics and there are several more I'm going to look into. This will also benefit me on my tug project and other scale boats planned for the future. So lesson learnedmy bad research research research before you buy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All Mtronics run at 1KHz, so motors will whine at that frequency. some more than others.  I have not had a problem with it, possibly because I use mounts with a bit of resilience, and there are enough bits and pieces stuck to the inside of the hull to calm down any cabinet resonance.
    Alternatives are to look for an ESC that claims a higher frequency, so only passing dogs will be annoyed, or look for a resistive controller and have a nice warm interior to the boat (they work by dissipating surplus power as heat).
    Early ESCs ran at the frame frequency (usually 50Hz) and at low speeds growled at that frequency.  Again, I never found it a problem, but some did, hence the move to a different way of working when PIC technology became available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try looking into the Astro Flight 208D ESC....it has BEC and look at the Parallax ESC which does not have BEC. Supposedly they both run at the higher switching frequency.
    Every day is another Saturday

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try looking at the Astro Flight 208D ESC...it has reverse and BEC. Also look at the parallax 25...reverse but no BEC. Supposedly they both operate at the higher switching rate. I have several of both and am satisfied.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also both of the above units give you very good low speed....you can count the revs with the naked eye.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, I'll look at it. I used several Astro Flight 207's for FE applications and was VERY pleased with them. Also used his charger and cobalt motors, good stuff for sure.