Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Creating realistic shell holes (near the waterline)

Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Creating realistic shell holes (near the waterline)

Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
DUKWsInARow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating realistic shell holes (near the waterline)

I just received a model of the Glencoe ‘Oregon’ that I ordered off e-bay and which I intend to transform into the ‘Iowa’ as she appeared March 22, 1923 during her service as a radio controlled target ship (see attachment).

As you can see, there are many shell holes, created by the 14-inch guns of the USS Mississippi. As a matter of fact, I can count six such holes in this side of the ship alone.

I was wondering if any of you could suggest how I might create these holes without adding too much weight to the model (remember, I’m going to RC this ship).

If possible, I want to re-create the deformation of the hull that would accompany a shell strike without adding too much weight to the model.

As for watertight integrity, I intend to cap off the inside of the shell holes with black painted capped plastic pipes.

Thank you in advance for your assistance…
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34320.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1725232  
Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Rich404

Default RE: Creating realistic shell holes (near the waterline)

Hi DukW,
Drill the holes in the same place as on the ship except below the waterline. To make the holes more realistic use a hobby knife or razor to make the holes look like jagged and irregular like it was actually shot. With the holes on the hull jagged push it inward a bit (if possible) for added effect.
Then take tubing a little bigger than the holes, let’s say for example ½” round by ½” long and use it to cap each hole.
Before installing the cap paint the inside of the tube flat black so it looks ‘dark’ inside the damaged hole and epoxy the capped tube to the hull exposing the hole. Make sure the caps are waterproof to avoid leaks later on! Perhaps “dress up” the holes further with some weathering tricks to show burn marks, etc. for added realism.
I’m not sure if you plan on using smoke effects for the stacks but maybe piping the smoke unit further and divert some of the smoke to come out of a couple of the holes will look like something is still smoldering inside the hull.
Enjoy!
-Rich.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

On such a small model, I would do as Rich says, but rather than use tubing, to save weight, just line the inside if the hull in the hole area with matt black styrene sheet, or paint the visible bits of the inside of the hole matt black, let the thickness of the hull moulding indicated the hole depth.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Rich404

ya mean it's not a four foot boat!!

-Rich.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:53 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

With the kit at 1:225 (very box scale, and not a huge box) its just over 18" long.