Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

dumas 48in pt109 fiberglass hull HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

dumas 48in pt109 fiberglass hull HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 AM
donone1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dumas 48in pt109 fiberglass hull HELP!

hi bob this is not the best thread to watch for a build on the 48" pt boat but the forums are. i would be happy to help in anyway i can. you said you had the hull only? wow that's gonna make it hard, lucky for you i just found out that Franks mosquito boats has a full line for this boat as he is now making the glass hulls (corrected bow) himself and has all the parts instructions and building materials you might need for the build Warning! order ahead although Frank is a real nice guy he is NOT the fastest shipper. check out his web site and give him a call. he is the only one other then Dumas that may be able to help get all the parts that you will need. also the Dumas hull is flawed the bow rakes down-word about 3/8" and needs to be fixed BEFORE the deck is built. also all day Dan is the best he knows pt's he has built 2 and from what i have seen he should be considered a master builder he has got some major skills and i don't think you will find a nicer guy on forums. but if you need my help I'M here!...............................Smooth sailing .........Don
Old 03-21-2012, 06:57 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Don, The parts from Frank are worth waiting for. As I remember, there is plenty of work to be done before the parts are needed. Have you decided on the power system you are going to use?
I know how your wife feels. I have a cancer called CLL. The name is too long to type out. Got it when I was 70. After a good round of chemo , I lasted another three years. May even live longer. Can't beat that. Dan.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
All Day Dan

Don, Here are a few shots around my boat to show you the power install. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17951.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1741100   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44852.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1741101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34023.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1741102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx68012.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1741103  
Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
donone1961

yeah hydro i understand the business aspect of it but as a consumer not so much lol i suppose most of is my impenitence i'm not really sure why i want to go swimming after a boat so bad i'm just nuts i guess and i'm getting older the older i get the more i gripe.

hay hydro while i got you what u think about 2 550 size brushless out runners for power? if this will work should i get water cooled or just get cooling mounts and water cooled esc's ? also what lipo will work? you like the go fast boats so i figure you da man to ask thanks ..........................Don

Dan yeah i really want the brushless so i can leave my buddies in my wake but still cruse at 15 to 17 mph i hear that's close to scale. i very glad to hear about your remission/ cure that chemo is a real butt kicker i'm sure your wife can relate that the hardest thing to see your spouse in such pain and discomfort and not be able to do anything to help but be there and offer what you can. its the only thing that i have found that is more frustrating then the 6 oclock news LOL
and yes there are several things that can be done in the mean time but i'm still gonna wait i have to get my planes ready i have been flying foamies so long that i have neglected my nitro plans i got a lil Toni, and a FW190 to prep for next weekend my club is doing a flight demo for a local school as well as our spring fling fly in.

and in closing for all you pt nuts check out you tube if you haven yet there are tons of footage on war time PT's and a few of the last seaworthy PT as will as footage of PT109 the movie and they are expendable (john wane) movie.

as always ................................smooth sailing Don
Old 03-21-2012, 12:45 PM
donone1961

yeah hydro i understand the business aspect of it but as a consumer not so much lol i suppose most of is my impenitence i'm not really sure why i want to go swimming after a boat so bad i'm just nuts i guess and i'm getting older the older i get the more i gripe.

hay hydro while i got you what u think about 2 550 size brushless out runners for power? if this will work should i get water cooled or just get cooling mounts and water cooled esc's ? also what lipo will work? you like the go fast boats so i figure you da man to ask thanks ..........................Don

Dan yeah i really want the brushless so i can leave my buddies in my wake but still cruse at 15 to 17 mph i hear that's close to scale. i very glad to hear about your remission/ cure that chemo is a real butt kicker i'm sure your wife can relate that the hardest thing to see your spouse in such pain and discomfort and not be able to do anything to help but be there and offer what you can. its the only thing that i have found that is more frustrating then the 6 oclock news LOL
and yes there are several things that can be done in the mean time but i'm still gonna wait i have to get my planes ready i have been flying foamies so long that i have neglected my nitro plans i got a lil Toni, and a FW190 to prep for next weekend my club is doing a flight demo for a local school as well as our spring fling fly in.

and in closing for all you pt nuts check out you tube if you haven yet there are tons of footage on war time PT's and a few of the last seaworthy PT as will as footage of PT109 the movie and they are expendable (john wane) movie.

as always ................................smooth sailing Don
Old 03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
All Day Dan

Don, just received all the documentation you sent me. Thanks, Dan.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
donone1961

that was quick the post office must be on the ball for a change.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM
donone1961

update for all that want to know i am waiting on my gear from Dumas (stuffing tubes back ordered. the parks from franks mosquito boats should be here any day! i talked to him on Friday. i will begin the build as soon as these parts come in pics will be posted at that time as well.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 AM
All Day Dan

Hi Don, Have you decided what kind of motors you're going to use. Dan.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 AM
donone1961

not yet Dan i still want to go brushless but i already have a large chunk of money in this boat now i may fallow you and do the 6 volt system its at least half the cost and at this point that maybe just what i need flying weather has arrived here in south Georgia so i have had to get the squadron ready to fly the electric toube will be ready soon for covering. and i just got a cool twin Cessna 475 also electric to finish it came as a RTF but being the typical Chinese kit the trans is crap and the speed controls wont work right ether they keep beeping loudly and wont sync with the motors. still not bad for 75 bucks delivered. even has retracts and lipo included (ebay). i really want to finish the boat as my grand son will be here in July and he loves RC planes so i want to show him the boats.................................Donald
Old 05-04-2012, 04:52 AM
donone1961

ok i have looked at the forums listed by ryant888 and come up with the fallowing.

first off my boat is the Dumas 1/20th pt109 w/fiberglass hull deep "V"/ mono that is 48"long i am trying to build the boat as lite as possible but i believe it will weigh in at around 15 lbs?
so here is what i think i need.

hull=mono 48" long
cell count=2 -6 cell lipo 5000mHa 20c
motor = 2 900kv water cooled in runners
ESc-=2-100amp water cooled
prop=2-40mm 3 blade octura 12

as i said i looked at forum and came up with this but i am just guessing, and i don't want to waste money fishing around for the right setup. i would rather use the money i saved to buy more batteries for more fun.
this set may also be over kill as i only want to reach moderate speeds over scale (20mph) is scale top speed for this boat at this scale. this is were i am confused as most of the info i find is for fast electrics and i assume that fast means 60mph plus? heck i have no idea. anyway i need the right info pronto as i have the rest of the gear on the way and need to buy the motors to install the stuffing tubes, struts, ect. i have made this same post on speed electric without response please help....................Donald