Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dumas 48in pt109 fiberglass hull HELP!

PT 109 48" DUMAS FIBER GLASS HULL can anyone tell me where i can get a copy of the build instruction booklet i have a full set of plans its for the Dumas 48" fiberglass hull kit # 2358. i would also like to know about power systems that are available? i have r/c planes so a lipo powered system using 2200mAh 20c 3 cell lipos i have 18 0f these! so that would be great but i 'm not sure of what motors and speed controls I should use,should they be water cooled? and the rest of the running gear as you can see I'm kinda lost with out the basic instructions to go by.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: dumas 48in pt109 fiberglass hull HELP!

I built two of them. They are powered by two Astroflight marine 425 motors #425. Astroflight also makes a fan that mounts the motor shaft by the brushes. The motor mount is also from Astro. The speed control is their 408D. Each motor is powered by two seven cell packs of NICADS or NIMIH batteries. The motors are counter rotating with Dumas 3118 and 3119 propellers. The running hardware is all Dumas. The rudder assemblies are from Mack products. I have the assembly instructions. Send me your address and I’ll get it copied and send it to you. I do need a set of the plans. Can you get them copied for me? Dan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11935.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	1735111   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27832.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	1735112   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq38875.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	1735113  
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here's a sketch I made of the installation. Dan.

Name:	Ki18531.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	1735322  
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used the 109 and 596 uprade from here. Dan.
    http://franksmosquitoboathobbies.com/
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thank you so much Dan i was beginning to think i bought a dud my address is Don Borte Po box 96 allenhurst ga 31316 or a pdf file in a email to dononefourtyfour@yahoo.com will do as i can down load and print it out here. and as for the plans i can get copies made do you need all 5 sheets ? there are 4 about 2' x 3' and one large sheet that shows a side view and a view from above that is about 3' x 5' and since you have built two boats what do you think about brush-less motors and lipo batteries? i do rc planes and they are the power source of choice and i have more then a dozen 2200 batteries that could be used i am not worried about scale looking runs, as i can always throttle back but with the brush less motors i can have a sleeper that will be able to scream across the water if i punch it if the fuse will handle the beating? oh and Dan the pics of your boats are really nice how long did it take to build ? my planes can take anywhere from 1 week to 6 months to build depending on the aircraft and the level of detail i use. anyway thanks again for your help and let me know about the plan sheets . Donald

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don, Hold off with the plans. I can live without them. I'll make a hard copy of the instructions and mail them to you in a couple of days. I usually build planes. The PT boats were a boyhood dream that I finally realized when I retired. I know nothing about powering them except the way I did it so I can't comment about any other way. Try another post in this forum about using brushless motors and lipos. Maybe some of the scale boating guys know.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don, I'm going to send you everything I have. The stuff has been sitting around in a drawer for years. You might as well get some good use out of them. Send it back to me when you are done. There are two videos, a supplemental assembly book and the Dumas instructions. Be sure to watch the videos before you begin. Dan.

Name:	Ig11296.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	1735840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh21371.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	1735841  
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow a nice guy in this day and age you sir are cut from superior stock. anyway thanks Dan once again! and you will find a full set on plans along with the stuff your are loaning me. i got this boat cheep at a swap meet in Perry GA only paid 60 bucks, that's why I'm building it, OK and there is some thing about the PT boat and it 's history that caught my eye. but anyway its a departure for me as well as i too build RC planes i also bought a 90 size balsa USA Taube aka the dove of war it should be a nice build and if it flies like my 40 size she will be a real gem. again thanks for your help and the loan ...........Donald

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow a nice guy in this day and age you sir are cut from superior stock. anyway thanks Dan once again! and you will find a full set on plans along with the stuff your are loaning me. i got this boat cheep at a swap meet in Perry GA only paid 60 bucks, that's why I'm building it, OK and there is some thing about the PT boat and it 's history that caught my eye. but anyway its a departure for me as well as i too build RC planes i also bought a 90 size balsa USA Taube aka the dove of war it should be a nice build and if it flies like my 40 size she will be a real gem. again thanks for your help and the loan ...........Donald

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don, Thanks for the compliment. I have received so much help from RCU members, I'm always willing to pitch in myself. The tracking number of the package is 9405503699300437620009. It should be there in a few days. Once again, I can live without the plans. They are going to be very expensive to copy because they are so large. That $60 was a great price. I paid $350 for the kit. You will find that that's only the begining. I got to well over $1000 before the boat was launched. Dan.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i got the package today DAN thanks again i am going to try to copy every thing and send it back ASAP alone with a set of plans i already had copied i should have this all done by sometime next week ill let you know when and the tracking # as soon as i send it again thanks.............. Donald

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good news. Thanks in advance for the plans. When you get around to build the boat, start a build thread in the scale boat forum. It will be great to see how you are doing. Got questions? Post them. I should have some information for you that you can use. Watch the videos before you start building. Dan
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to late Dan i already started the build i guess i might have jumped the gun on the build thread. i have the hull fixed, the video was all i needed to jump into that task it was a piece of cake also completed is the deck supports, main hatch,and all of the super structure's. i am now adding minor details and getting ready for primer. i will order the nicer detail parts in the morning from mosquitoes hobbies ? that is unless you know of a better place !? because some of the provided parts lack enough detail and there has to be a better way to build the guns. anyway this kit has been easier then most kit built planes that i have done. its nice to not have to worry about wight and i think other then using brushless motors and lipo batteries the rest of the build should be smooth sailing. oh ! and lights i want all the lights to work . yeah! I'm gonna have to buy a new canera as my old one is not water proof (grand kids) as soon as i do ill post pics

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great to hear that you are moving along so well. Although 1/20 is a nice round number, the only details available, that I know of, are from Frank. I got both the 109 and 596 set from him and they are well worth it. They really enhance the appearance of the boat. He’s a very enthusiastic model boat builder and takes all his work seriously. He lives near me and when I was over his house he showed me an enormous model of a battle ship that was around ten feet long that he had under construction. It was way beyond my capabilities.

Here’s a website you’ll find interesting. The guy is building in 1/20 scale and developing a lot of accurate details. I don’t think he is selling of them. He has a self propelled torpedo but it’s not the kind that was used on the 109 boat. Dan.
    http://www.pt-boat.com/
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

These figures are 1/20 scale. It took some "surgery" to get them in the right positions for the boat. Dan.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...at=0&_from=R40
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dan thanks for those links very useful that guy builds some awesome guns and the dash details are very nice i was looking for gauge pics. also my step mom herd about the boat and got me the movie Pt109 i took a brake last night to watch it very good movie I'M just not sure about the boat i saw they look real but you never know with Hollywood there is a clear shot of the engine room com tube and the torpedo sites on the dash as well as raised areas around the edges of the splash shields and also the best pic i have seen of the windshield. this can't be the real PT109 as it was sunk split in half by a jap destroyer long before the movie was made movie date is 1963

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're right, it's not the 109 or even an Elco for that matter. Due to the wholesale destruction of PTs in the Phillipeans at the end of the war, few 80 foot Elcos were still in existance when the movie was filmed. To shoot the movie, 82 foot air force rescue boats were modified and used to represent the 109 and other PTs depicted in the movie. One of the few remaining, PT-617, is on display at Battleship Cove in Fall River Massachusettes. Pictures of it can be found at http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/PTBoat/index.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the post Hydro. I always wondered what those boats in the film were. Dan
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

great link hydro thanks and i just had a feeling that those weren't PT boats but the movie was still good.now im trying to find a copy of they are expendable ! John Wayne PT boat movie

also update i got the first coat of primer on last night lots of sanding now and more primer only problem is Airplane season is here first flyin is this week end I'm gonna have to shred some clouds.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

great link hydro thanks and i just had a feeling that those weren't PT boats but the movie was still good.now im trying to find a copy of they are expendable ! John Wayne PT boat movie

also update i got the first coat of primer on last night lots of sanding now and more primer only problem is Airplane season is here first flyin is this week end I'm gonna have to shred some clouds.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dan everything is on the way back to you and as promised a full set of plans as well thanks for the loan as soon as i get my parts from franks mosquito boats i will start the build again i stopped right after the order as it was obvious that needed better parts some of the Dumas casting must be made from hardened steel LOL you cant drill it and a cut off wheel just does cut into it i also should have a digital camera by then the wife said she would get one from Walmart Friday when she goes into town anyway the tracking # is 03113260000231170828 it left on the truck this morning about 8Am EST. again thanks for the loan!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm watching this build just to see how things progress. I bought a 48" PT boat fiberglass hull about 3 years ago with the idea of scaling up the Dumas kit. After a while I lost interest and sold the kit to someone who really wanted to build it (although I haven't seen any build log) but still have the fiberglass hull.

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Don, thanks for the fast return of the items. I was fantasizing a while ago about building a quarter scale model of the boat based on the Dumas plans. Yes I said 1/4. That would make it 20 feet long. I was going to get a 20 foot hull and start modifying it. I live near to great marinas in the Los Angeles area so berthing was no problem. I also could not find a hull with an inboard motor. Anyway, time and age has taken its toll and I will probably give it up. By the way, some guy did do that from scratch. Search the web for quarter scale PT boat. It's there some where.
    How's this for insanity for you. After building the 109 and 596 boats, I promised myself, never again. I was going to stick with the plans from now on. Well promises were made to be broken and after I maidened my 50cc pusher, the bare workbench bothered me. I grabbed a Sterling 48 inch Chris Craft Corvette kit and started another boat. Here’s an image of the pusher and boat. Dan.

Name:	Ge95211.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	1740659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sn41482.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	1740660  
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LOL yep Dan you have got the advanced stages of the r/c sickness. my wife loves the plane she is a breast cancer survivor and always has some thing pink on and the 48" Chris craft that should be nice those were beautiful boats in there day and plank on frame construction wow that's gonna take some time . that's the hard way lol the last time i tried a wood hull (10 years ago) it was a 6'8" Fletcher class destroyer i built this one from scratch (no plans) i used a Lindbergh model kit and and scaled it up from there. i did this all the way through the building of the super structure that's when i found out the guy next door served on a destroyer in WW as a gunner. i finished painting the ship at that point and gave it to him. sadly he has passed since then and last i herd the ship was given to his grandson who i was told intended to complete it i sure miss that one.
    i wish ol frank was faster on the parts for the PT 4 weeks till he starts and another 1 maybe 2 before i get them i wonder why he doesn't make them and stock them to fill his orders faster? anyway i'll post pics soon so everyone can see my work ...................................smooth sailing DON

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

His not stocking parts is probably due to a couple if things:
    1) any parts left sitting on the shelf on January 1 he has to pay taxes on
    2) some parts don't sell as fast as others so why keep those parts that are slow sellers sitting on the shelf?
    I know I've had to wait for over a month for a cowl for a boat I'm working on due to the seller being swamped. Since this part isn't one that is commonly used, having it sitting on the shelf doesn't make much sense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast