Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Adding a hull to a waterline model…

I’m wrapping up two of my current projects, namely the Logsdon towboat and the USS Kearsarge, and am saving up for my Q-ship project.

I was thinking that, while I saved up for the Q-ship, I’d see if I could build one of my 1:35 DUKWs as a (water only) RC model.

However, one of my friends gave me a Revell model of the seaplane tender USS Pine Island (AV-12) and I was excited about RCing this model.

Unfortunately, this is a waterline only model.

Having never added a hull to a waterline only model or built a hull from scratch for that matter (I’ve always RCed pre-formed plastic or fiberglass hulls), I was wondering if any of you had ideas about how to add an accessible hull to a waterline model.

This added hull would obviously have to be hollow, watertight, and accessible so that I could place batteries, and running gear within it.

Thank you in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Adding a hull to a waterline model…

The waterline model was probably designed without any regard to stability considerations, so might well be excessively heavy for a scale underwater hull to support anyway.  Consider building the underwater part as an overscale submarine that the above water model sits on.  That way you should get both buoyancy and stability.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Adding a hull to a waterline model…

I have to agree with MFR02, but at the same time, I don't know of any plastic model where stability on the water has been taken into account with maybe the exception of the 1:350 scale Tamiya battleship kits. The material thickness of the upperworks used in most plastic models create so much top weight that, unless the parts are thinned down and/or significant ballast added, capsizing is a serious issue. Even with the so called "R/C ready" Blue Devil destroyer kit, it's so overweight and top heavy that considerable rework is needed to prevent the ship from being unstable and sinking in anything other than "mirror like" conditions