Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fitting a 1/8" prop on a 3/16" shaft?

Hello all,

I have a Dumas 33" PT-109 which I built 30 years ago(!) which I am upgrading.
    The boat has a rigid 3/16" shaft and I need to install a 1/8" hub prop.
    Has anyone ever heard of 3/16" shaft that has been turned down to accept a 1/8" prop? (either for sale new or someone who can make it for me)

Thanks!

RE: Fitting a 1/8

Its tricky,but can you drill the shaft and tap it for a 1/8 screw,loc-tite it in and install your hub?
    either that or just use 3/16 all the way around. at least with a 3/16 shaft and prop assembly it will resist bending a little contact with the bottom or weeds getting tangled.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for reply.

The prop I want to install is an Octura 1427 or equivalent. There aren't any 3/16" props that are that small.
    I don't have the tools or the nerve to drill and tap a 3/16" stainless steel shaft. (Maybe in wood...)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

To drill the end of a 3/16 shaft and do it accurately, you would almost need a lathe to make sure the hole it centered properly. One other thing you could do if you tap the end of a shaft is notch the shaft so that it has an integral drive dog. This set up would make it so no actual drive dog is needed

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Remove the 3/16" shaft entirely. Use some brass tubing to make a bushing that is 3/6" Outside Diameter and 1/8" Inside Diameter. Two required. Install bushings into old bearings and secure with 5-minute epoxy. Install new 1/8" shaft.
    John KaBang

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, that;s an intriguing idea. I like it.
    But, that is some very thin walled tubing.
    Have you ever seen anything like it before?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Try your local hobby or craft stores. Look for "K&S" brand thinwall round brass tubing. Some Ace Hardware stores carry it.

http://www.ksmetals.com/

On their web site third button down on the left is Retail Locator. Find out who near you carries it.

You will need one 12" piece of the 5/32" and one 12" piece of the 3/16" sizes.

The 5/32" tubing is .15625" OD and .12825" ID. You slip A piece of this into the larger 3/16" tubing which will be, .1875" OD and .15950" ID. Then you have a 1/8" ID - 3/16" od bushing.
    John KaBang