Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

basswood vs balsa for planking

Hi all. I'm resuming a boat build I started years ago. I started planking then with clear pine I ripped into 1/8"T x 3/8"W x 5'L lengths. After just beginning and getting about 8 planks on either side of the keel it got shelved. Years later I'm retired in Florida so I dragged it out but I no longer have the shop gear I had then. I went to the local hobby shop and bought a length of 1/8"x3"x36" balsa for about $3.50 and picked up a balsa stripper also.The stripperworked well and I put on two planks each side and I am underwelmed by the balsa compared to the sturdiness of the pine planking. I went on balsausa.com and priced the amount of basswood I would need and it is very reasonable. Will basswood conform to the bends of the hull by soaking in ammonia like pine will? I would put the pine in a capped piece of pvc pipe and cover with ammonia (not the sudsy kind) and let it soak from a few hours to overnight. Then it was soooooo pliable I could clamp and let dry, then glue up. When clamped and glued I drill through the planks into the formers (stations) and glue the hole and drive a peg in. It makes one sturdy hull. Does anyone plank with basswood like this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: basswood vs balsa for planking

I used both in this build.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm

1/16 basswood will not bend as easy as 3/16 balsa. Dan.
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: basswood vs balsa for planking

I like basswood a lot. I used it for the toe rail on an old fireboat that I built and rebuilt.
    Dave
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_51...tm.htm#9520377