Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

Electric Drive Set-Up Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

Electric Drive Set-Up Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Tannhauser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Drive Set-Up Help

I'm looking for help in setting up the electric drive onan oldChris Craft 63'Motor Yachtmodel, around 42" in length. It'saSterlingkitB11M from the 1960's. I've never set up an R/C boatbefore.The R/C components were never set up in it. It has two Pittman brushed motors installed(new and never used) eachrated 9-12V, 1.5A. I'm not after speed, just cruising. I'm thinking of using a 2 channel 2.4GHzreciever. What type of brushed ESC and Battery would you recommend? What would be the best way to wire this up? Also, how would you set up the servo for the twin rudders? Thanks very much for the help.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 PM
rblubaugh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Electric Drive Set-Up Help

Tannhaouser,

Go to this link for answers to most of your questions: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783582

Your motors are rated to work at 9 - 12V and I would personally recommend 12V Nimh batteries.  If you don't want to spend that much go with Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries, they are cheaper but 12V 7AH will work.  Buy two and wire them in parallel.  You have plenty of room inside the hull of  the CC Motor Yacht.

Bob

Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Tannhauser

Thank you for the info. Much appreciated. What are your thoughts on using 5000mAh or 6000mAh LiPo batteries?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:15 PM
All Day Dan

You can follow my build of the Corvette to see how I powered mine. Dan.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11009591
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM
mainiac68

Consider a vantec RET411 or AstroFlite 208D ESC for scale use (IMHO). With the ratings on these controls you could control both motors with one esc unless you want individual control of each screw. I would NOT use a Viper Marine (you may be tempted because of the price). I tried one in my Midwest lobster boat and EVERY motor I have tried sings like a banshee throughout the throttle range( I set up an optimal mount situation outside the boat and tried 9 different motors!!). It's some kind of electronic resonnance due to the way it is made but for a good scale experience you do not want one. Hope this helps. Fred
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 AM
rblubaugh

Tannhauser,

5000 or 6000mAh Lipo's are fine, if you know and understand Lipo's.  About the only thing I know about Lipo's is the power to weight ratio is great but outside of that I do not understand them at all, that is why I suggested Nimh batteries. 

I guess that makes me behind the times but that's just me.  I also don't use brushless motors for the same reason, I don't understand them.  This doesn't mean either one is bad, I just need to educate myself, but I still probably won't use either because I'm not looking for speed (brushless motors) and properly installed brushed motors, prop, ESC and batteries have given me all the boating pleasure I want at the present time.

Read through "All Day Dan's" build, he has some real good building points in there and some innovative ideas on powering his boat.  It will be time well spent.

Bob

Old 04-30-2013, 07:12 AM
Tannhauser

Thank you again!