Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

1:6 scale wood cracker box or gar wood model plans?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

1:6 scale wood cracker box or gar wood model plans?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Disrespective

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1:6 scale wood cracker box or gar wood model plans?

I'm looking for a project to start on my birthday this year and came across the Mack/Legend Model Boats California Cracker Box and their Gar Wood Speedster and fell in love.

The only problem is that their kits won't be available until a few months after the day i'd like to start...

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on terminology as I don't have a lot of experience with boats. I have, however, made architectrual models, cars and planes before so figure i'm competent enough for a boat... rightly or wrongly

I like the rear cockpit/front engine style of the ones I linked to. I also like the curved fore-deck and aft. The model will mostly be for display but I would like very much to be able to drive (is that the right word for a boat?) it if funds allow in the future.

So i'm turning to you, good forum dwellers, i'm looking for either plans (preferably digital so I can laser cut the frame myself) with a bill of materials or, better yet, a full kit that I can buy that follows a similar design aesthetic to those above. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also, just to throw a small spanner in the works, i'm based in New Zealand...
Old 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: 1:6 scale wood cracker box or gar wood model plans?

I know Dumas has a boat similar to the Cracker Box, if that helps. Here's one: http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=258 and here's a second: http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=417
Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Disrespective

Thanks Hydro Junkie for the links. They're not bad looking at all. 

I just found this and this online and would be happy to buy the plans if I knew I could adapt it down to a 1:6 (ish) scale so I could build it. They're both aesthetically what i'm after, except for those prices I had better know I'm going to get a buildable model... I don't want to have to get special thicknesses of timber cut to complete it but at the same time i'm competent on CAD software so could spend some time adapting them if there was a book/post/document detailing what needs to change to allow for a model prop and rudder?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:47 AM
blizard05

Take a look at Zipp Kits, they are 1/4 scale,and a great boat
Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 AM
carlosam

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: blizard05

Take a look at Zipp Kits, they are 1/4 scale,and a great boat
Good idea,
I made one, but on a smaller scale with 800mm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30873.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	1894928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57047.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1894929  
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Disrespective

The Zipp kits ones just don't seem as 'curvaceous' as the M.A.C.K one. I know it's probably more scale accurate, but seeing as this boat will probably be more for show than for speed they just don't appeal as much.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM
blizard05

ORIGINAL: Disrespective

The Zipp kits ones just don't seem as 'curvaceous' as the M.A.C.K one. I know it's probably more scale accurate, but seeing as this boat will probably be more for show than for speed they just don't appeal as much.
They can be changed, "barrel back, lowered free board" etc. That is the best thing about building a wood boat . I built one with non trip chines, and curved transom. PM your em, for pics Larry
Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM
blizard05

Take a look at the new 2013 V box it can be modified easily,and is easy to build. Mine is covered with teak