Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

removable rudder

new to boat building, have started a 1:50 scale Norwegian trawler and would like some help on how to make the rudder removable,if ever i need to pull the prop shaft I would have a hard time removing all the gear on the inside of the boat, but if i could just drop the rudder, that would be much easier. I have seen posts about that on this forum before, just cant find them now when I could use it. any help would be appreciated thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Dan

thanks for the link Dan. the draw back of those rudders is that they will not work that well with a displacement hull, the problem I have is that the rudder is held at the very bottom of the keel and does not have enough play in the port to allow it to slide past the bottom of the keel. But what I think I will do is to use parts from a 3mm universal joint and epoxy them into the top and bottom of the rudder so that I can use the set screws to secure the rudder to the post, that way I could loosen the screws and slide the post up and out of the rudder itself

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If the build is at an early enough stage, you could always cheat a little bit. Offset the rudder just enough to allow the shaft to pass it. Steering will be virtually unaffected.
    I always get a bit nervous about small screws underwater. Probably something about sailing in salt water. If the bottom end of the rudder is supported by a plate, I have seen examples where the plate is held in place using brass screws into the hull bottom.

unfortunately Ive gone past the stage where I could have moved the rudder post over, but good idea, thats whats done on full sized boats, so i will make note of that for next build, but for now I'll have to come up with some kind of plan. I understand your concern with metal below waterline. In the freshwater pond I will be running the boat I may be lucky enough not to have problems. Anyway I'll have to work on this a little more, thanks for the feedback.