Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anyone build big multi mast sailing ships rc?

Something like a cool pirate ship? Ever since I ran across a fancy model used in filming old pirate movies I have wondered if anyone has rc controlled one.. using the wind not just an electric power plant..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I've been wondering the same thing, length about 45"-60", "frigate" late 1600's.

What's a good source of plans and who is a good kit cutter (because next time I'll have the bulkheads laser cut).

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Oh yes, scale square riggers are popular. The idea is to make the entire masts pivot and not individual sails (which would preclude a miniature crew to handle them ). The rigging is also very simplified. I've seen the Constructo 1:85 Helena and the 1:110 Bounty converted to RC; these are solid wood hulls, hollowed out and with an added keel for stability. Very small but more "doable".

These were done by a fellow who calls himself "meatbomber". Seen at this link in the first 5 builds from the top of the page:
    http://cocatrez.net/Water/RC_SquareRiggers/RC_SquareRiggers.html
    The complexity of a weapon is inversely proportional to the IQ of the weapon's operator.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    thanks for the link

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeah thanks for the link this is something that is very interesting.. going to read it now...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Visit the Scale Sail forum over at RC Groups & you'll find a number of square-riggers & schooners including a number of SC&H kits - a lovely, but expensive way to get involved!

http://www.rcgroups.com/scale-sailboats-653

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks for the link. My building is just getting to the point where I'm beginning to take a close look at scale details - trying to decide how far I want to go. There's no limit to scale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Glad to help. You'll find "meatbomber" there but he's not been posting lately. You'll want to spend a lot of time reading the sticky threads started by DanL & Jerry Todd who are a wealth of info when it comes to square rigged models. Lots to digest & learn from that you won't find in such detail anywhere else.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    In fact, just take your reading, research and browsing over to RCG because it's dead over here and...there's no scale sail forum! Muahahaha. That's evil.

I thought it was somehow unfair, unethical or otherwise uncouth to promote a competing forum on another forum so I didn't directly link to it. I am not so sure now...
    Last edited by Harquebus; 01-01-2014 at 09:32 AM.
    The complexity of a weapon is inversely proportional to the IQ of the weapon's operator.