Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Cool Rc titanic in 1/144 scale

Hello I am new to rc boats. I am beginning a scratch build of the rms titanic in 1/144 scale. I would like to make this a rc model. It will be just over six feet in length and about 35 pounds give or take a few. Will be a triple prop ship as the real one was. My question is, can anyone help me with the rc side of it. What size motors and others stuff. Doesn't need to be overly fast.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What to use for power would be a better question in the Electric forum. As far as how much the model will weigh, have you considered how much ballast it will require to:
    1) keep the boat stable
    2) get it to float at the scale waterline

I will try the electric forum. I hadn't taken the ballast into account.
    Very good point. Not sure where to start. I have a lot of
    experience with models but none with rc ships. Thank you very much for your help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Look for tugboat threads for reference, preferably Brooklyn Tug or Mr Darby threads.. You want to power the boat in the same way as you would a tug. Try to find 3 Pittman motors (or equivalent) and gear each of them down to 3:1 or 4:1 ratio.Then use suitable tugboat type props for the 3 shafts. You might even be able to tie 2 motors to the 3 shafts on a geared drive.

Most of the parts that you will need can be sourced from either MACK Products or Harbor Models. If you call MACK he would give you some pretty decent suggestions but think tugboat as far as power and scale speed goes.

There is a site called all electric.com that could have motors for you really inexpensively.

Do a search in this scale boat forum for tugboats and if you can't get ideas from here RC Groups scale forum have both tugs and shipbuilders to get ideas from.

Best of luck with your build.

-Rich.
    Last edited by Rich404; 12-20-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Thank you very much for your help. I have found geared motors that run at 80 rpm on 12v.
    The titanics engines at regular service speed of 21knots ran at 75rpm with a Max of almost
    24 knots at 83 rpm. Would this create the rough scale speed with proper props.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    80 RPM is way too slow...THe boat won't move. Real vessels and scale vessels move through water differently because water does not scale out..The motors after gear reductions should turn at least 1000 RPM's. Then use the prop size to gauge the speed.

-Rich.

Ok thanks. Didn't take into account that water doesn't change with
    scale.